“Launch of Arabic "Nawarra" bar, lounge + restaurant - stunning” 5 of 5 stars
Review of JW Marriott Marquis Dubai

You added JW Marriott Marquis Dubai to your Saves list
JW Marriott Marquis Dubai
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Sheikh Zayed Road | Business Bay, Dubai 121000, United Arab Emirates   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #42 of 486 Hotels in Dubai
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Launch of Arabic "Nawarra" bar, lounge + restaurant - stunning”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

It was stunning from the time I got out of my car, walked past, I thought, alabaster statues all in white, carrying crooks + lanterns (they were live models), up to the 5th floor. In the darkness of this trendy Arabic themed outlet, more staff dressed in white to guide me, take my picture, ensure I was given a drink and a seat. And the staff were all good looking too!
It certainly was a trendy, upbeat place to be in. I felt very much part of the IN crowd...!
The lounge was jam-packed with revellers, elegantly served with delicious finger food, free- flowing drinks and champagne. The lounge throbbed with disco music that guests couldn't resist ...so lots of dancing. Later I discovered the terrace with views of Burj Khalifa, Business Bay and far towards the desert lights..... also packed like sardines with guests.

It is quite a unique concept .. an Arabic theme bar-loung-restaurant. And it seems to work. For the discerning guest, it was a good quality of wine and food . This is important in Dubai where the competition for recognition is extremely fierce. There are so many excellent outlets + hotels here ... Nawarra and JW Marriott Marquise stands amongst the tops ones.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (391)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong, China
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

My experience follows below. As of this date the General Manager of the hotel has not even had the courtesy to acknowledge my letter of complaint, which shows the hotel is rotten from the top down! I do note another Marriott member experienced a similar check-in problem a few days after me.

My letter to the GM dated 11th November:

Recent Stays at the Marriott Marquis Dubai - Night & Day!

Dear Mr. Queitsch

I am writing to you to express my concern and anger at the way two members of your staff treated me with total discontent during my recent visit to your new establishment in Dubai. I stayed with you twice during the last 2 weeks, with my first visit between the 21-24th October, and the second the 27-30th October. The first stay was pleasant, fairly uneventful apart from a bad checkout experience. However, the second stay started badly and finished even worse! I just wonder how 2 stays, within a 10 day period can be so different? I would like to focus of the second stay as I have got over the unprofessional and lazy individual who messed up my checkout on my 1st visit.

SECOND VISIT
I arranged an airport pick-up on the 27th evening, and the trusted driver who previously took me to the airport greeted me. I must admit, he is totally professional and a credit to you (I only wish I remembered his name). On arrival to the hotel at around 11pm, I was escorted to the executive floor for check-in, where I was greeted by 'Natasha'. She took my passport and credit card and started the process. Looking at her screen, she then said; 'we have a Smoking King Size Room for you', I responded, no, I have ordered a Non-Smoking King Size Room. She then said; Ok, we have a Non-Smoking Twin Bed Room for you. I said, don't you have my preferences on my booking? I ordered a 'Guaranteed' Non-Smoking King Size Room, with preferences for a High Floor and Extra Towels. She then said it was not available, but she could try and get something the next day. I told her that this was a 'Guaranteed' booking and why had the hotel not reserved my room as a Marriott Lifetime Member, stating if you are overbooked don't you look after your premium customers first? I also stated the hotel knew I was arriving late as I have arranged transport through the hotel. I then requested to speak to a manager, she told be to wait a minute! I told her to get me a manager now. She ignored my request and then said she had a Non-Smoking King Size Room for me on the 10th Floor. I told her this was not acceptable and I no longer wanted to speak to her, and to get me a manager. In the meantime, I contacted the Shangri-la who confirmed a room for me if I wanted it. After some time a manager appear and immediately offered me a room on my choice on the 52nd floor. I then asked, why this room was not offered to me when I checked in, and why did Natasha try get me to accept room I had not ordered? Why did she on 3 occasions try and persuade me into accepting a room which was not my 'Guaranteed' choice? Why did the waste over 30 minutes of my time on this process, when a room was available all the time. I also pointed out, that this was a 'Guaranteed' benefit and I was within my rights to claim USD 100 for failing to meet it. But I also told them I didn't want money, I wanted the room I booked! Natasha's attitude was unprofessional, she ignored my requests, treated me with discontent and generally looked down at me. I have never felt so insulted during a hotel check-in in my entire life. At least the manager treated me with a little respect. Quite frankly, if she was my employee I would have fired her on the spot! She is a disgrace, who really shows guests she doesn’t care too. Her attitude and approach is wrong!

Although that night I had considered moving to the Shangri-la the following morning, I decided to continue my stay as I had cooled down and put this experience down to an unprofessional employee, as my 1st stay had been generally fine. I enjoyed the services over the next couple of days. On the 29th, I returned to the hotel in the late afternoon and my room had been serviced. I took a shower, only to then realise that housekeeping had not replaced the towels, there was also no bath mats and they hadn't even replaced the bottled water? I had to use the hand towels to dry off and immediately call 'at your service' for towels. I also asked if it was the hotels policy not to refill the mini bar daily (as mine hadn’t not been), so they offer to refill it for me. It seems a wasted opportunity not to refill the mini bar daily, as it’s a auto-charging fridge so you are losing revenue by not doing so.

The same day, I called 'at your service' to request a late check-out for the following day. The person said he would put me through to the front office. After over 5 mins nobody had answered, so I hung up and call 'at your service' again. This time they kindly offered to arrange it. Once arranged I asked them if I could also book a limousine for the airport at the same time. They give me an option of two vehicles and I opted for the cheaper Mercedes. The late checkout and car were confirmed for 3pm the following day.

I checked out at 3pm in the main ground floor foyer and was greeted by 'Irene'. She took my details and passed me a copy of the bill to check. I told her that I had booked a car and said I could not see it included. She took the bill from me and said its here, pointing to the charge of the 27th, my airport pick-up. I told her that was my pick-up and that I only booked my drop off the day before (29th) so that can’t be the same booking. She said, the charge includes both. I once again asked her to recheck it, as I told her that was the charge for my one way pick up from Abu Dhabi only. She refused to check the system and said, it was included. She seemed annoyed with me for questioning her authority in the matter. I asked her a final time, she refused and said point blank its included SIR!

I proceeded to the concierge counter to pick up my car, only to find the supervisor and my bellboy looking concerned. They then informed me that NO car had been booked for me! So not only was I right that the charge was not on my bill, which Irene was too lazy to bother to check on the system, as she obviously knew better, but she was wrong. Furthermore, someone at 'at your service' had forgotten to make my booking. I approached Irene and told her the facts, I asked her why she had not listened to me and why didn't she bother to checked the system when asked? She just stood there and laughed at me, I told her not to be so rude. She just said sorry with another laugh. I told her that I would soon wipe that smile off her face by writing to you an official letter of complaint. She just stood there with a grin on her face, at which point I told her to remove herself and I called a duty manager. They offered me a free car, but I told them I wanted to pay. That was not the point. I told Irene more than 5 times the hotel had not charged me, and requested she checked and did so. Her in action has not only lost you a loyal customer, but lost you income on the limousine service too.

The concierge supervisor then dealt with the situation in a highly professional and swift manner.

Both Irene and Natasha have an attitude problem, and are not the type of staff I have come to expect at a premium Marriott outlet. Maybe they can treat regional customers in that fashion, but you are certainly going to lose customers and revenue if something doesn't change. I am not sure even staff training will change them, as its their personality.

Anyway, I told them I was going to make you aware for their appalling attitude and laziness, and have do so.

With regards
Steve Parry
Lifetime Member

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

My husband and I booked this hotel for a long weekend on his colleagues recommendation.
Check in was easy, beautiful flowers in the foyer and lovely staff.
We were very disappointed with our room that had a large balcony that you were not allowed to use and let a lot of noise in as it wasn't sound proofed or sealed like double glazing. We did not enjoy the constant sound of building works and the view wasn't nice either.
The hotel is surrounded by building sites and not near anything. The free lift to the Dubai mall is reliable and good though.
The pool area is nice but packed and hard to get a spare sun lounger unless you're there early.
We spent our sun time on the beach and wish we'd booked a hotel there.
Nice cafe (better than room service food) and good wifi but the noise in the room was terrible.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Riyadh, Ar Riyad, Saudi Arabia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

We stayed 2 dream nights there.
The staff is super friendly and the service is excellent.
The room is spacious and full of technology and entertainment.
Valet parking is free.
You can have free drinks in many areas , arabic coffe, dates, tea.
Would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2013
Alexandria VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

I was traveling through Dubai both ways to go to the Maldives for 10 days of diving and relaxing. I had gazillion Marriot Rewards points, so I booked three nights (actually, 2 1/2 days since my flight leaves at 2:20 on the third night) at this hotel. As a Platinum Rewards member, I was upgraded from a standard room to a corner, 1-bedroom suite, and I had Executive Lounge privileges. The suite is bigger than most 1-bedroom apartments, and the bathroom area (including toilet/bidet, soaking tub, shower) is as large as most budget hotel rooms. I sure felt like a VIP! With Exec Lounge access, I got breakfast buffet, afternoon tea, and evening cocktail/appetizers, more than I eat in a week! I didn't check out the restaurants because I filled up on freebies. Large fitness center and nice outdoor pool. This is the tallest hotel in the world (72 stories) and is about 1/2 mile from the tallest building in the world. Guests of all nationalities, including some flight crews. I didn't want to leave!

Room Tip: If you're a Marriott Rewards member, be sure to ask for upgrade if available.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Dubai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

Sitting on the 71st and 72nd floors, the lounge venue "The Vault" is a record breaker as the highest hotel bar in the world (not to be confused with the Burj Khalifa’s At.mosphere, an independent venue not located in a hotel,

Accessed from the hotel’s lobby via two elevator rides, the bar gets its name from the heavy bank safe-style doors that mark the venue’s threshold. It’s a novel twist. We were just a little disappointed it wasn’t necessary to turn the levers and crack the code to gain entry, Yet it’s certainly an imposing entrance that creates some sense of ceremony.

Once inside, we found it difficult to find fault with the bar. Decorated in elegant black and gold, the room is classy and chic. The staff were welcoming, polite and knowledgeable, and the inventive mixed drinks were of a very high standard. The menu was impressive, and specialised in Russian drinks: there were scores of different brands on offer.

Despite the bar’s elevated status, there are better Downtown views to be found in Dubai.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
KL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

I booked this hotel due to the JW brand and the tag "the world's tallest hotel". All the maps also led me to believe it is near a park with lovely water features. It is not. As the concierge told me, "all that will be ready by 2020. Now, there is really nothing to see nearby" and discouraged me from walking nearby. They didn't even have any map of adjacent roads as these "wouldn't be useful for you". Indeed, it is basically the first building to be completed in a massive construction site... there isn't a single plant on the road leading to the hotel (I jogged for 30 minutes anyway).

The hotel itself is new and nice but this can be said of many hotels in Dubai. Service was patchy with some excellent staff and others who were either less than competent or misinformed (as told to me by senior staff who had to get involved to rectify mistakes). e.g. I was told by the chef at the executive lounge and the person who answered the service desk phone that my complimentary breakfast as an executive floor guest must be has at the executive lounge or else, I will be charged. As a vegetarian, I was shown a couple of dishes and told that there is nothing that can be done as I had not called at least 1 hour earlier to request for any special diet.

When I elevated my complaint, a supervisor directed me to the 1st floor restaurant that had lots of vegetarian food in the buffet spread. I am not sure why so much hassle is required when a simpler option is readily available. Upon chatting with other staff, I discovered that at AED114, the buffet breakfast is too expensive to be offered to executive floor guests and that the lounge menu is planned to be smaller as this is balanced by lounge access and cocktails if you happen to be there in the evenings (too bad if are not, and just want a good breakfast, in which case you should just choose a cheaper room with a breakfast package) . As such, I remain unsure if both the chef and service desk operator were misinformed or just carrying out their tasks efficiently.

'

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Been to JW Marriott Marquis Dubai? Share your experiences!