“Thought it would be new and fantastic!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of JW Marriott Marquis Dubai

You added JW Marriott Marquis Dubai to your Saves list
JW Marriott Marquis Dubai
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Sheikh Zayed Road | Business Bay, Dubai 121000, United Arab Emirates   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #42 of 486 Hotels in Dubai
Irvine, California
“Thought it would be new and fantastic!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

I was wrong! Stayed in room A6212.

I have visited Dubai on multiple occasions and typically stay at the Ritz Carlton DIFC. I am a Ritz Carlton member and have attained their lowest level (Silver). While I don't expect to get anything out of it, I do like the added bonus points when I stay at hotels. Many people have complained that the hotel is in the middle of nowhere, I could care less about the location. Everything in Dubai is a taxi ride away and they're dirt cheap.

This hotel is massive. It has two towers, one of which still needs to be opened. There are multiple restaurants and the people flowing in/out is great for them. I arrived around 1130PM because of my flight from London arrived a little late. Immediately, the counter staff was in the trying up sell and get as much money out of me as possible. Before the person had really started checking me in, another salesman was saying that he could get me access to the Executive Lounge for 100 dirhams. I asked if it included alcohol and he said it did. I figured it would be worth it because alcohol is expensive in Dubai. He then offered to upgrade me to a suite for 400 more dirhams. Screw it, why not?

My room was on the 62nd floor and I had a nice view of the desert out one window and the Burj Al Arab out another. This hotel has only been open for a couple of months and people have abused it quickly. There were stains on carpet, white stains on the black pillows on the couch, and food underneath the coffee table in the living room. The shower head in the bathroom had the stainless steel/silver glaze flaking off.

Here's the best part. The guy who told me that they would serve alcohol in the Executive Lounge forgot to mention that there was a holiday, so they wouldn't be serving it. I wasn't happy because that was the reason I got the access to the lounge. I don't stay at the hotel all day. I like to go out and explore. Another person who worked for the hotel told me that they are allowed to serve alcohol until 7pm. I went to the bars and they wouldn't serve because of the holiday. I'm not basing my vacation on alcohol, but when I ask for it and you tell it's going to be available and it's not, you've lied to me.

They told me that I could order in my room. The mini bar doesn't have alcohol in it...which I thought was strange for a 5-star resort. I thought that was one of the requirements...even in Dubai.

The bathtub is a huge soak tub, but I think it's made of plastic. I got in and it made a creaking noise. I'm not a fat / heavyset guy either. It just felt cheap

I did get a massage at the Spa and that was amazing! I would recommend you visit the spa. Their prices are a little high, but it was one of the best I've had...minus the noises from the floor above. I think somebody was dropping marbles on a marble floor and moving tables. It was quite annoying, but thankfully at the end of my massage, so it didn't affect it too much.

I ate at the Thai restaurant and it was good. The staff were extremely friendly and the food was good. I'm not going to review that on here.

Overall, the hotel is big and busy. The decor was kind of bland. I thought this would be an excellent experience because this is a new hotel and is at the JW level for Marriott. This is supposed to be their premier line. The standards were a lot lower than what I expected and everything felt cheap. The staff were trying to make the hotel an extra buck by selling everything they could. I even complained at the end and the person didn't seem to care. If anything, they didn't know how to deal with the situation. They didn't apologize or seem to really care how I felt. I personally won't go back and won't recommend to family/friends. I'll continue to stay at the Ritz Carlton or Grosvenor House while in Dubai.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (392)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Alma, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Beautiful new hotel, now the biggest in the world. Stunning architecture, could see the Burg Al-Arab from my room. Rooftop pool was fabulous. Great service, couldn't have been nicer. Easy walk to the metro but the hotel has a free shuttle to take you to the Dubai Mall, where you can see the fountains at night.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
DXBJW, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Marquis Dubai, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and our team was able to offer you the service you have expected. On your next visit to the hotel we also recommend you to use our other complimentary shuttles to the business bay and Jumeirah beach. We look forward to have you as our guests again at the JW Marriott Marquis.
Tokyo, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

If you are here for work it will be hard to leave the room. The rooms are big as well as the bathrooms! Sleek modern clean efficient rooms give you everything you need and more. Train is close but taxis easy too. Staff are wonderful!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
We are pleased you enjoyed the comfort of your room. To offer you a change of scenery while you are working from the hotel, we invite you to book a room with access to the executive lounge. Amongst many benefits such as the private check in, breakfast and happy hour, you will be able to find a quiet place within the library area where you can continue your work. The executive lounge is open 24/7. We are looking forward to your next visit.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

The tallest hotel in the world. Stayed only for one night, but could experience the great service and other offers the hotel provided. A great gym, fantastic breakfast. The hotel opened its doors in February 2013, so it is a new place - but I did not experience any flaws! Strongly recommended

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
It was a pleasure to have you and thank you for your recommendation. Our gym facilities are open 24hrs and are certainly a great value to our hotel. We look forward to welcome you again soon, hopefully on a longer visit.
Burlington, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for two nights. Took the executive package which was pricey although had reasonable benefits within it. The Exec lounge was v good.

The hotel is within a 15 minute walk from the Business Bay Metro on the red line and I took this from the airport as the taxi queue was about 100 people long with no cabs in sight... strange, but true.

Room Tip: Top floor has nice view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
We are glad you were able to experience our Executive Lounge and hope to welcome you back the next time you are in Dubai. Prior to your next stay we invite you to contact us should you wish for us to arrange an airport pick up for you.
adelaide
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I had pleasure of staying at this hotel on a recent visit to Dubai. Being my 1st time to Dubai I was hoping for something nice! It was out of this world! I was greeted by a warm and friendly concierge member of staff. The rooms are HUGE!!! couldn't believe that the size of my room! I was given information about what to see and do within Dubai and they even sent information up to my room based on what i asked. The buffet breakfast is fantastic! freshly cooked and prepared for you, huge range and the staff remembered after 1 breakfast how i liked my coffee! I found everyone very helpful and they went out of their way to make you feel welcome. The location is good, like every other hotel in Dubai you need a taxi to get around but they also provide a free regular shuttle service to and from Dubai Mall. Being a travel agent i will def recommended this hotel to my clients who want something that "A little Special"

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
DXBJW, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Marquis Dubai, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
We are so pleased to read your review about our hotel. We are very happy that our team helped created memoriable experiences for you and that you enjoyed yourself so much whilst staying with us. We look forward to welcome you back on many more visits.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I have stayed on this property few times now. It has never failed to amaze me. Great place with great connectivity and amazing outlets to eat in. Fabulous place for business and family short visits. The location of this place makes it ideal for business travellers. There are so many locations to conduct business in. The welcome is always warm - club on 37th floor is exquisite with its offering and business facilities. I love this place.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
DXBJW, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Marquis Dubai, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
We are pleased that we have always met your expectations during your stay and that you enjoyed our executive lounge services so much. We are looking forward to host you as our guest many times in the future.

Been to JW Marriott Marquis Dubai? Share your experiences!