“Honeymoon holiday” 4 of 5 stars
Review of JA Ocean View Hotel

You added JA Ocean View Hotel to your Saves list
JA Ocean View Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   The Walk, Dubai Marina | Jumeirah Beach Residence, Dubai 26500, United Arab Emirates (The Marina)   |
Ranked #29 of 499 Hotels in Dubai
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Honeymoon holiday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

After being in Thailand for 10 nights we were looking forward to going to Dubai for 4 nights and wow a place I will go back to. The hotel it's self and the rooms were lovely. Because it was our honeymoon we had champagne in the hotel with chocolates and little treats. The breakfast was a treat. They had everything. From eggs in all different ways. Crispy bacon. Sausage. Egg Benedict. Croissants. All different jams and chocolate spread. Fruit. Salads. Different cheeses. Curry dishes. Different types of bread. A lot of different soft drinks and your own coffee machine to use. Basically everything for different cultures. Coming out the hotel the beach is a 2 min walk. You will get a beach bag with Towels and a mat at the hotel. Beautiful sea. Now there is work going on at the hotel. We got a letter which said it was minor. This was more than minor. 24 hours working at the hotel. Hearing horns beep and people shouting. If we knew it was going to be more work going ahead we would have changed hotel. Defiantly visit the Dubai mall. An aquarium in the mall then every half hour after 6pm the waterfall show. It's amazing. Visit all the 1000+ shops and 500+ restuarants. The fashion walk in the mall with all your designer shops. It also has river island. Debenhams. Next boots and all other normal retailers. Visit the water park. Amazing rides screaming like a kid but a great experience. Book this at the hotel you save money. The hotel does free bus trips to different places. We visited the market which was about 15 min away from the hotel. If you do book trips they are over £100 each some of them. If yur Going anywhere get a taxi. They are so cheap. There is restuarants to thee left when you come out of the hotel entrance. Starbucks and other places aswell as an exchange shop for changing your money over. Staff were lovely and the cleaners did really wel who were also really nice. Bathroom in your room was really nice with all your elemis shampoos extra compliment from the hotel. You have a mini bar in the room which we did use. An experience we wont forget and will defiantly visit this hotel again hopefully when al the building work has been completed.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Otto K, General Manager at JA Ocean View Hotel, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Dear simpson1985,

Thank you for your sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor following your recent stay at the JA Ocean View Hotel.

I would firstly like to thank you for your very detailed feedback from your stay, and I am delighted that we managed to meet your expectations in making your honeymoon trip a special and memorable one.

It was a great pleasure to read your very detailed review, and I was extremely pleased to know that you felt our hotel surpassed your high expectations. I would like to thank you for your kind words about the hotel, the amenities as well as the selection of food that were served to you especially during your breakfast experience.

I have also noted your feedback about the nearby construction work being carried out, which was unfortunately beyond our control and as you had seen yourself almost completed with the opening of the new shopping promenade planned this month.

Your positive comments about my team are highly appreciated, and I will ensure that your compliments are shared with them.

Once again, I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor, and I look forward to personally welcoming you back to JA Ocean View Hotel in the future.

Otto Kurzendorfer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

My family and I have just returned from a 5 night stay at JA Ocean View Hotel I Dubai, suffice to say that the treatment we received from some members of staff at this hotel was absolutely disgraceful and the lack of management of these known issues is equally disgraceful.

On two occasions my partner and I were treated like second-class citizens in the Girders bar. My partner and I went to Girders for a drink, I was tired so I decided to go back up to out room whilst my partner decided to stay and have another drink alone. As I left the bar I was followed out of the bar by one of the 'security guards' and watched going up the elevator. After I had left my partner was picked out by another security guard, and approached in an inappropriate manner and asked if 'he was a guest in the hotel' and 'who was that lady he was with'. The bar was completely full with people, most of which I suspect were not paying guests in the hotel as we had not been seen before. Not only was this embarrassing for my partner being approached in this way, but what the security guards were implying is what upsets me the most. We have never been treated this way in the past anywhere in the world.

The following day we mad a complaint to the on-duty manager who said that he will investigate. The following day we went back to the bar. After sitting down for about an hour I was approached by a member of staff call 'Diane' and asked if I could move as the table I was sitting at had been reserved but they had forgot to mark the table reserved. Because I was still upset about the night before I got up and moved without creating a scene. I later asked to speak to the manager of the bar who brought Diane to me to explain the situation. Diane proceeded to tell what I can only describe as being a lie - apparently the other party wanted to move because they wanted a table near the window for fresh air - had Diane told me this was the reason I would never have moved.

Quite frankly I am absolutely disgusted about the way we were treated and the excuses that were made by the bar management when we complained. The on duty- manager of the hotel listened and continued to say that they were investigating; however, on leaving they had not followed up with us to explain how they were dealing with the situation - just adding salt to the wound.

Dubai is lovely; however, I would never stay in this hotel again or recommend it. And to be fair most of the staff were very good; however, there is a serious underlying problem with some members of staff in the hotel which people seem to be aware of. Unfortunately the management of the hotel are not dealing with the problem. They did give us a bottle of sparkling red wine - however if they think this is a solution to the serious problem they have at this hotel they are seriously wrong.

Our holiday was ruinined, I work almost 51 weeks of the year and this was my 5 days off, 2 days of which were ruined.

I am really really disappointed and the manamgement did not even have the decency to follow-up with us before we left. Disgusting.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear Halfwaytr33,

It is with great disappointment that I read you review which highlighted that you did not enjoy your visit to Girders Bar while the rest of your stay was to your liking. It is certainly not our intention to have any of our guests disappointed and we do not and never treat anybody as second class citizens; however, it is clear that we have failed to meet your expectations in this bar during your stay.

During and after your stay we have personally carried out an investigation on the points raised by you, and I can assure you that your feedback about this matter has been communicated with all parties involved and it has also been discussed in detail with the hotel security team in order to avoid similar re-occurrences in the future. The hotel front office and the hotel security manager were both trying to communicate with you during your stay, but failed to reach you by phone and in person.

I do understand how disappointing and frustrating it was for you, and as per our earlier email correspondence this week I would like to sincerely apologise once again for your experience.

Despite the above, I do hope that we will have an opportunity to restore your confidence in JA Ocean View Hotel, and once again, thank you for taking your valuable time to post your review on TripAdvisor.

London, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

We were invited to visit Dubai, not somewhere we would normally go. First, we were completely overwhelmed by the choice of supposedly top-class hotels - Dubai is a lot bigger than we had realised, but at least we were given an area in which to find a hotel. As we were taking a British Airways holiday, BA provided the choice of hotels for us.
We chose the Ocean View and we're very pleased we did. For us, it lived up to all the best reviews for comfort, staff friendliness and value for money.
We tried one of the hotel's featured buffet dinners - the Italian evening (there's a different one every night), which was great and authentic. In UAE Dhirams, it sounded expensive, but was actually £25 per head for everything, including all soft drinks. The alcoholic drink option is quite a lot more expensive, but we didn't see anyone take it, as the available soft drinks were very comprehensive.
In a place as big as Dubai, one has to travel some way to see the sights. Don't think of walking far, especially if the weather is hot, but taxis are plentiful and not expensive. There's a hotel shuttle bus service to a number of places. We took one to the Ocean View's sister hotel at Jebel Ali to enjoy the beach there. That was 100% successful and we wished we had had more time to do it again, but maybe another time.
Anything less than perfection? One can always find something if you look hard enough. In our case the worst thing was that our room cleaner decided to clear away a pile of newspapers and magazines without asking and unfortunately removed some papers I had put aside to keep. Good thing there was nothing valuable left between the pages!
But apart from that, would we return to the Ocean View - yes we certainly would!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Otto K, General Manager at JA Ocean View Hotel, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Dear StevieH,

I was glad that you had decided to stay with us, following other traveler’s reviews. I was also delighted to hear that overall you had an enjoyable stay, and that you were very pleased with your decision.

Please allow me to personally thank you for your kind words with regards to the overall comfort in the hotel, the friendliness of my team and the value for money. It was also nice to know that you had the chance to dine in our very own restaurant, to explore the vicinity, as well as to visit and enjoy our sister property’s facilities.

Once again, I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor, and I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to JA Ocean View Hotel in the future.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

it is in the JBR area of Dubai which has countless restaurants and the beach is a short walk away. Nice area but is a lot of construction going on. The hotel is fairly new and feels fresh and has nice furnishings. Bathroom is nice, all the rooms have a balcony albeit a little small. Food is fine but a little expensive.

I stayed at the height of summer so needed the ac on 24/7 but the ac left black staining on the wall which needed painting over. Also after a shower the water doesn't drain properly and some foam comes out on the floor. These are minor glitches and wouldn't put me off staying there again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Dear PebblesFlintstone,

Thank you for your sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor following your stay at the JA Ocean View Hotel in July 2013.

I was delighted to read your review, and I am happy to hear of your kind words with regards to the hotel’s location and the hotel itself which you have kindly mentioned was fairly new, fresh and has nice furnishings.

We value all guest feedback, which allows us to continually improve our services across the hotel, and I would like to personally thank you for taking the time to detail your experience. I can assure you that the areas of improvement such as AC ducts and water drain which you have highlighted are well taken care of in the past 6 months.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

We arrived in Dubai after a long overnight flight from Mauritius and were extremely tired! Check in was fast but then we were told we would have to wait 6 hours for a room (2pm). We kindly asked if they could let us know as soon as any room was ready and we would take it - we just needed sleep! We sat around the lobby for a while and then went to a nearby Starbucks (as our breakfast at the hotel didn't start until the next morning). When we arrived back at the hotel around 10:30-11am, there were many more people waiting for their rooms, however, they had received welcome drinks and dates! So unfair! Also, many people were checking in and being shown to their rooms! At this point my husband enquired and there happened to be a room free! Funny that!
The room was amazing! Huge and clean with tea/coffee! The bathroom was immaculate (with a rubber duck at the side of the bath!) Our housekeeper was lovely, always smiling and did an outstanding job! The staff on the front desk were not very helpful, but the concierge always had helpful information and a smile!
We stayed on a B&B basis and the breakfast was out of this world! So much variety! and everything was delicious! But it was always busy!
Overall the hotel is gorgeous! Check in could have been miles better and the staff on the front could be more helpful. Housekeeping and concierge excellent! I would recommend this hotel to friends and family and its location is great and it is stunning overall!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear SMirza_83,

It was lovely to know that you found the hotel to be gorgeous and stunning overall! I was also very pleased to read your positive comments about the spaciousness and cleanliness of your room, as well as the quality and variety of food served during breakfast.

You may be interested to know that our standard check-in time at the hotel is 14:00hrs; however, we do certainly understand that our guests are tired after hours of travelling, and we do endeavor to check guests in prior to this time subject to occupancy levels. It is with regret that on this occasion we were unable to provide you with your accommodation at 06.00am, but happy to learn that your room was ready at 10.30am already.

In order to assist our guests with a smooth early arrival prior to 14:00hrs, we try to recommend reserving their accommodation from the evening prior, which will guarantee that their accommodation is ready for them upon an very early morning arrival, making the arrival experience seamless.

I would like to thank you for your personal acknowledgement to my team whom you felt were lovely, always smiling, excellent and had done an outstanding job; however, I would like to offer my sincerest apologies if you felt that some of them did not display our usual high standards of service at the front desk. I can assure you that I will personally look into this matter, but would like to clarify that our separate Experience Desk and the Concierge counter (both in the lobby) are the right point of call for informing you and helping with arranging any booking, tours or learning about offers here in Dubai; while the front desk staff is mainly trained to facilitate your fast and efficient check in and check out.

Luton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

We stayed at Ocean view for our honeymoon in May 2013 and we could not fault the hotel, beautiful views excellent walking distance from JBR walk. Only 2mins walk to the beach. The staff were excellent in advising us the best places to visit whilst we were in Dubai, very attentive staff.

Hotel provides a shuttle bus to all the local malls and souks which was fantastic. The hotel was clean and modern. I dont know why this hotel isnt a 5 star?? Next time we are in Dubai we will be staying in Ocean View

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Otto K, General Manager at JA Ocean View Hotel, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Dear julz_84branning,

I was extremely pleased to read your positive comment about the hotel which you have highly rated, and you have also kindly mentioned was clean, modern and with beautiful views. It was also lovely to know that you felt my team was excellent and very attentive.

Otto Kurzendorfer

Been to JA Ocean View Hotel? Share your experiences!