“Awful atmosphere” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #340 of 499 Hotels in Dubai
Mandurah, Australia
“Awful atmosphere”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

The only reason we stayed at Capitol is because Emirates sent us there after overbooking our flight home.

We were sharing a hotel lobby with drunken nightclub patrons getting rooms at 2:30am, but the noise from down stairs did die down about 4:00am. That's when the noise next door started.

In hindsight, this probably says as much about the airline as it does about the hotel.

Room Tip: We were on the 4th floor and we could still hear the nightclub. Good luck!
Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Farnham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

I was part of a delayed A380 flight when we were put up at this hotel overnight. In fairness to the hotel, they tried to process the tired and frustrated passengers efficiently at what must have been very short notice. As such I can't comment on value for money.

Other positive is the room was extremely spacious and clean.

However, I wouldn't stay here under normal circumstances. For a 4* hotel, this should have been 3* at best. This is due to location, decor and quality of furnishings, food standards. The management were not interested in creating a positive impression for repeat business - treating the guests with suspicion.

As other reviews noted there are a couple of nightclubs which aren't well insulated and attract an "interesting" clientele.

There are many better hotels in Dubai.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Durham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

The staff are nice but they are poorly trained, I was charged for all sorts of things that I did not have, external laundry, Internet cards that I paid for in cas and then was charged to the room. My wife stayed with me for 6 nights but they charged me for 8 nights.
Tip of the day .... Do not use the bar downstairs it is very smokey and expensive, go over the road to the docks bar in the ramada they have nice reasonable priced food and the drinks are cheaper, better still take a right out of the hotel and go to the Boston bar in the Rotana it has an Irish theme and a happy hour every day until 8 pm
Would I stay there again ....................no way

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Edinburgh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

I've stayed here three times now, and while I'd struggle to call the place "great", it's not bad at all. I've never had any issue with hot water, room has always been clean, and never heard anything from the disco downstairs.

Breakfast is ok, but there's not much choice for a westerner. There's a small mall about 10 minutes walk away, with a Carrefour supermarket there. The chinese restaurant downstairs is very good. There's a small fitness room on the top floor, couple of treadmills, step machine, etc. The room can get very warm though, so take a water bottle with you.

Room Tip: From what others have said, get on the fourth floor if you can.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Muscat, Oman
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

A couple of friends and I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights and have decided that we shall not be returning in the future. We usually travel to Dubai every month for 2 nights and I usually stay at the Marriott however this time we opted to stay at the Capitol because a friend of ours lives just a few blocks down the street. We booked 4 rooms and at check in everything went smoothly. The only thing we noticed is that the staff does not know what it means to smile and greet guests… anyways. The rooms were clean however two of our rooms didn't have warm water in the shower so we had to shower in the rooms with warm water. (One of my friends who’s stayed in this hotel before told me he had the same shower problem the last time so perhaps the hotel should look into their piping system since warm water is not exactly an "Extra service”).

One of the biggest issues we had was when we returned to the hotel in the night. One of the night staff decided it was necessary to follow us all the way to the lift and repeatedly ask "are you guest’s" which we all answered yes however he still followed us. He was directing his questions to the females in the group which made us realize he must have thought we were "working girls". Now while this issue might be a big problem in Dubai that does not mean the hotel gets to harass their female guests.

On the second night all the girls in the group held their room keys in their hands as soon as we left the taxi so that we were not harassed and followed all the way to the lift.
If the hotel insists on following guests around perhaps they should print a list with the names of in house guests and make sure that all guests who enter the hotel tell their name and room number (even though this would also be seen as delving into people’s personal lives…it seems better than having a man follow you and repeatedly ask the same question).
When I travel I feel that I am paying with my hard earned money and therefore should feel comfortable and safe which I did not therefore, we have decided that another hotel in Dubai deserves our business.

The hotel should look at the number of females booking the hotel because I am pretty sure that if their night staff treats all their female guests as they did us I am pretty sure they would notice female bookings are not that high. (I am not sure if our group was a special case...but we were dressed appropriately for the region and behaved in an orderly fashion since I have lived in the middle east for 27 years).

While the Marriott might be a little more out of the way from the places we visit in Dubai and costly we decided that we will spend the extra taxi and hotel money in order to feel comfortable rather than being made to feel cheap. (I never had this issue in the Marriott..too bad that the Capitol will be losing out on our monthly visits of at least 4-6 rooms for at least 2 nights).

Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Tehran
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

We stayed in Capital hotel in Jan 2012 as group of 10 people and although the staffs were polite but they always made many silly mistakes , for example I asked 3 times to send someone fix our bath hot water and during 4 days no body come , hot water in bathroom is not really warm and you can not take shower .

Also I asked for booking airport transfer at 10 AM for 10 PM and in 10 PM shift was changed and nobody knows about our booking .Although a person who was in charge of service called the taxi and try his best but we lost some time for waiting ,

Disco sound even in second flour makes you to do not sleep till 3 Am , so be ready for that :)

Breakfast was good and room was clean .

It is far from metro station and you need to take a taxi for about 10-13 AED .

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Moscow, Russia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

Stayed at the hotel with a small child. The fact that I've experienced - it's terrible. In 8 days I moved from room to room 3 times. On the 1 floor impossible to sleep because there are two discos. After complaints of loud music, I was transferred to the 4th floor. It looked like a joke from the administrator, because the music from the restaurant was so loud that it seemed played only for me, even the TV was not heard. Finnaly I moved on 3 floor/
All the rooms smeels of cigarettes, even in so-called non-smoking. Breakfast is monotonous, but the dinners are very good.
Not all rooms hot water. The hotel is not for people who want to sleep at night.
This hotel is a maximum of 3 stars. Clean room is bad - were everywhere strange hair.
No one would not wish this experience.

Room Tip: if you want to sleep asked room on 2 or 3 floor
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Been to Capitol Hotel? Share your experiences!