“Great stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #306 of 486 Hotels in Dubai
Tauranga, New Zealand
“Great stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2006

Really helpful, friendly staff. Helped every time we entered and departed the hotel. Yummy breakfast. Large, comfortable room. Not the newest building in Dubai but well kept. Helped us organise our trips. New Zealand.

• Stayed February 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2006

I had a 10 hour layover in Dubai. Wanting to get some rest in a comfortable setting, I decided to venture out of the airport and check into a hotel.

I went through a Dubai International Airport hotel reservation counter which was located just past the passport control. The person behind the counter recommended the Dubai Grand Hotel and said it had a four star rating. He also told me the taxi was only going to cost me $10. He forgot to tell me that it would be that much only if I got an HONEST taxi, but that is a different story.

After I agreed to the rate ($119), I started looking behind the counter at the advertized hotels. I couldnt find the Dubai Grand Hotel listed anywhere. There were hotels listed by star rating off to the right. No Grand Hotel. That should have been my second clue.

As the "reservationist" was helping me, I mentioned this fact and asked him if the Dubai Grand Hotel was truly a four star hotel. He assured that it was. I also asked if they had internet capability in the rooms. He also said yes.

I paid for the room and went on to get ripped off by the taxi. The taxi took the LONG way to the hotel and made a $10 trip into a $15 trip.

When I got to the hotel, I told the front desk that I thought I was being ovrecharged by the taxi that had brought me. They sent a bell boy outside to talk to him. He at least stopped the taxi driver from taking me for $20 using his exchange rate, but did nothing about the inflated meter reading. The bell boy suggested that I get Dirhams (local currency) from the front desk.

I only had large denominations, but I asked the front desk to only give me $20 worth of Dirhams and the rest US. They promptly exchanged the entire $50 amount at their inflated exchange rate and completely ignored my request.

After being checked in, they insisted on keeping my passport until I checked out. This is something that I never have been asked for in all of the international hotels that I have been to (upwards of 20). If anything, a photocopy of my passport has been taken, but never the original. I dont advise anyone to agree to that. I did because I was tired and didnt want to argue anymore after the taxi ordeal.

Once I was outside my room, I noticed that about three doors down, one of the hotel staff was entering a room with a key and saying out loud, "Housekeeping" as he entered. I checked into my room at 4 AM local time. What the heck is a hotel staffer doing going into a guests room at 4AM?? He had no towels, no, roll-away bed, no luggage, nothing..... I'll let you decide.

Once inside the room, I put the "Do Not Disturb" sign out, deadbolted the door and immediately noted that I was NOT in a four or even three star hotel. The carpet was stained and worn. The wallpaper was stained and peeling. The "brass" light fixtures were worn and rusted. The room had that peculiar Indian from India smell to it. (You know the one I'm talking about). All and all, The room was of a cheap motel quality.

The "mini-bar" consisted of a mini-refrigerator with a 4 cans of soda, 2 bottles of water and a crumpled juice box. The bathroom was appointed with VERY cheap ammenities and decor. The bathroom floor was dirty. The personal lotion bottle that was included in the comfort section of ammenities had been previously opened and used (about 1/4 of it was gone).

Having been in worse hotels, I decided to make the best of it. The water in the shower would not get hotter than warm and the in room thermostat did not regulate a thing. I froze my butt off and I had just come in from having spent two weeks in the Korean winter! The tv remote didnt work and the internet access was dial up. I had to unplug the phone to use the internet at a per hour rate.

This hotel was definitely NOT four star. It was more or a two star and that is being generous. I do not recommend the stay at any price above $19.99 a night.

I felt compelled to write this review after seeing that somebody gave this place a four star rating. Must have been a hotel staffer that went in one of the guest rooms at 4AM and used the internet on their dime.

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2005

I stayed at the Dubai Grand for one night in transit, and it is what it professes to be, a 4 star hotel. The decor in the rooms is more London B & B than Dubai modern, but the rooms were very comfortable. The staff were very helpful with tourist and banking information, and let you know the approximate time and cost of taxi journeys.

The Dubai Grand is very close to Terminal 2, and about a $US10 taxi to Terminal 1.

• Stayed December 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2005

I stayed there for four nights. For professional reasons I spend some 100 nights per year in hotels all over the world. I have been to other hotels in Dubai before. I would not call Dubai a benchmark for outstanding service, neither for good prices.

But even in comparison with that this place is horrible.

Dirty old carpet in the room, stains on chairs and sofa. The balcony dirty and dusty. You would not want to touch anything, let alone sit down.

The way you are treated by receptionists gives the impression that they assume you constantly want to betray them. Not a single smile, not a single friendly word, no Hello, no Goodbye, not even after checking out. You seem to be disturbing them all the time.

Do them a favour and leave them alone!

• Stayed November 2005, traveled on business
Leeds, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2005

My partner and I stayed 5 nights at the Dubai Grand Hotel and we have regularly travelled all around Europe prior to this trip and stayed in many hotels but without doubt this is the worst hotel we have stayed in.

Service was poor.
Staff tried to rip us off when we asked about booking the Dune Safari.
We were told that we could not to sit in the lobby area as we were not buying anything.

The double room that we were given was located on the 2nd floor directly above a disco, with loud blazing music that went on until 3pm, resulting in five restless nights.

The water from the taps was not hot, just barley warm thus we could not take an adequate bath or shower.

I spoke to one of your staff members regarding the noise and water the first day, where I was assured that the situation will be resolved, and that I will be given another room on the top floor. From that first day till the night before the last day yet again I went back to the reception with the same problems but the matters were not resolved.

Also we visited one of the clubs in the hotel called ‘Shama’ despite the fact that we were not aware of what kind of club this was until after ordering our drinks we were charged a ridiculous amount of 50 dirham for two glasses of coke and we only stayed there for 15 minutes and despite writing a letter of complaint with the above points to the management, they basically offered no form of apology or compensation.

You have been warned.

• Stayed July 2005

Been to Dubai Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!