“Not worth the money” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Palace at One & Only Royal Mirage Dubai

and 1 more site!
You added The Palace at One & Only Royal Mirage Dubai to your Saves list
The Palace at One & Only Royal Mirage Dubai
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Al Sufouh Road | Jumeirah Beach, PO Box 37252, Dubai 37252, United Arab Emirates   |
Ranked #45 of 499 Hotels in Dubai
London
“Not worth the money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We are currently staying at the hotel, and after hearing about it from friends, I was very excited to stay here.
The check in time is 2pm and they didn't give us our rooms till 4.30pm, meaning we lost a whole day by the pool! And they did nothing to compensate us!
The rooms are slightly outdated, the food in the cafes and restaurants awful and the staff just so rude an unattentive. I am currently sitting by the pool in old, rusty worn out deck chairs, begging and searching for someone for a drink and a fresh towel!

Definitely not a five star hotel!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Finnish first
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Here is the second report about my vocations in Dubai in October.
The last time at Al Qasr was that great, that I came back a half year later.
I wanted to try a new hotel so I ve choosen the one and only Royal Mirage.
Why did I went there, well the Jumeirah Beach was really great, with this hotel I was located on side of the Palm. Important for me was, that the Hotel is build with the arabic style, cause there are not many things remember to arabic culture at Dubai.
The Hotel stuff is very "western" and all the culture rules are not present in Dubai.

Again I arrived at the airport and the driver was allready waiting for me and welcomed me at dubai.
In the hotel they told me that my room will be prepared in some minutes, and they would like to offer me a tea and some little mignardises in the lounge, until I can check in my room.
So I was allready smilling and feeld me welcomed.
My room was superb. I had a Superior-Executive Suit in the secrion calles The Palace. The light was shining from outside thrue all the rooms in the suite.
The Hygien was very good, no demolitions and no Hairs at the ground. (I hate hairs on the ground, so disgusting)

The pool is very beautiful and there were a big one and some more smaller arround the hotel.

Sport activities were availlabel, but I just went for swimming in the ocean at the very cleaned beach. I had everytime a chair so no need to stress to hhave a chair.

The food in the "french touched" restaurant was very delicous, and the grill restaurant aswell.

At the end I have to say it s a great Hotel.
Compared with the Al Qasr it got s no chance. The Al Qasr is more exclusive, but if it s too expansive you should go to the One and Only Royal Mirage. Fantastic hotel.

Room Tip: Superior-Executive-Suite is excellent
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

The hotel is beautiful. The grounds around it are amazing. The view from the beach is not what I was expecting. You're looking right at brick buildings of the Palm (especially true at the beach of Arabian Court). But fair enough, this is not something the hotel can change. The restaurants are great and the food is good. Service was good, even though the service on the beach could be improved. The rooms are large and have a nice terrace. All in all it is a beautiful hotel!

BUT: I need internet for my work, and I do not accept that a 5* hotel charges ridiculous amounts for a service that ought to be free of charge in a hotel with room rates starting at $1000. The Holiday Inn and Ibis, that charge one tenth of the room rate even offer free wifi. We were a group with three rooms, so we had to purchase the internet access three times. I will not return to this hotel, or any One&Only for that matter until the company decides it will show some respect for its customers.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

the hotel is very nice , the people very friendly and service is what you expect for this range of hotel . however you need a bicycle , I had a room on the right wing and to go there is like a labyrinth of 150 M!
restaurants are good , special mention for the bar with the sunset , very clouded and fashion .
I have tried many hotels in Dubai , I will come back to this one , swimming pool and beach are perfect . the hotel is near the private port and you have a lot of restaurant there ( budha bar etc ).
a special + for the limo service of the hotel .

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I recently returned from a 5 day stay at the O&O Royal Mirage in Dubai with my two year old son. I booked this trip via a travel agency with flights, half board etc included. The total cost of the trip was probably the best thing about it. It was a fairly good deal as I normally book directly with resorts that average 1000 euros a night, not including flights, food etc. But thats where the difference in the level of service comes into play. Our arrival was one of the highlights of the trip as we were met by a woman who ushered us through immigrations and straight into a waiting luxury car which drove us to the resort. Unfortunately, the service went down hill from there. The greeting at the hotel was chaotic with one person asking for passports and credit card and disappearing for a while and then finally a different person showing up to escort us to our rooms. The walk to the rooms is exceeding long as it is a rather large resort. We we dropped off in our room and the man then disappeared without giving us any sort of introduction to the room, where light switches were etc and this first impression completely lacked a personal touch.
The hotel was fully booked at the time so getting reservations at any of the restaurants on the hotel grounds proved difficult. I ended up ordering room service nearly every night to avoid the crowds. The food was average and inconsistent. I ordered a chicken dish one night which was fairly tasty but the next time I ordered it, it was so dry and bland I couldn't even eat it. There were always mistakes on the order with some item or other missing. The beach grill was one restaurant I tried for lunch with was fairly good but extremely expensive! We tried the Olives buffet once for dinner but found the food to be pretty awful especially since this supposedly a 5 star resort.
One thing I noticed was the smoking everywhere in the hotel. The rooms are technically non-smoking but the smoke would come out from the under the doors and permeate the halls and even started to creep into my room. I complained to the management about this but they said there was little they could do about it except to try and air the halls out.
The grounds themselves are quite expansive and nicely laid out with easy beach access. As the hotel was so packed, getting a lounger on the beach proved challenging but the beach staff were always helpful with this and would bringing water, drinks, towels etc upon request.
As this resort is so large it really lacked the personal touch. Being greeted by one of the managers and welcomed to the hotel are little things which make a difference.
The room itself was completely average with no extras such as iPod docks or Nespresso machines, just the usual overpriced minibar. The hotel also charged for Wifi which I find to be a bit annoying since we all know how little it costs the hotel.
I think I would have enjoyed this hotel more if I knew what to expect in terms of service etc but as it is a One & Only, I expected a lot more and in my opinion, it fell short.

Room Tip: If traveling with a young child, I'd recommend a ground floor room with direct access to the out...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Horsham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

This was probably the best hotel we have ever stayed in. The service was the differentiating factor, it was exceptional and incredibly consistent. All staff engaged with you naturally and made you feel special. As for the environment - the pool and gardens were beautiful, poolside staff were friendly and helpful and the sunbeds extremely comfortable. We stayed on a half board basis and it was great to be able to go between The Palace and The Arabian Court to have variety for dining. This is a really special place and we will certainly be back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This was our second visit to O&ORM the Palace so our expectations were high. I had emailed ahead to ask for a top floor room to the west of the complex - we got fourth floor on the east! I expected perhaps some flowers, biscuits, maybe a bottle of fizz! to welcome returning guests - nothing. Everyone was friendly and pleasant and nothing was too much trouble, and the service was excellent overall. The room itself was very good, so no actual complaints except one - NO FREE WIFI. Really O & O, join the 21st century, most hotels these days offer free wifi access. Note to readers - £5 for six hours, £30 for a day and £60 for five days.

The HB option dine around had changed slightly for the better, as had the menu at Celebrities which was a definite change for the better, and we had at least three meals there, all excellent except for one souffle which was frozen in the centre. This told me two things 1) The souffle was not prepared fresh and 2) It had not been cooked thoroughly. Otherwise, as I said excellent - recommend the duck and the rack of lamb! No creme brulee on the menu though which was disappointing for a French restaurant.

The Beach Bar restaurant was fabulous and we were looked after so well by Widad at the desk who made sure we got a good table. The food was terrific and would recommend the surf and turf - lobster and steak, but not the pistachio creme brulee - too big, too green (!) and the sugar on top had not been sufficiently caramelised, it is after all a 'brulee'!

Breakfasts were a bit hit and miss in terms of speed of service at Celebrities, but that was about staffing, not the waiters themselves, so thanks to Lenin (sic), Binu and Sunil for a great job, and also Angel on the desk for her friendly, welcoming smile. The head chef came out to talk to some French friends and stopped to chat to us, which was a nice touch - my partner thereafter had crepes for breakfast every morning - not on the menu, but chef said that he could provide anything, just ask, so we did, and he provided!

The buffet at Olives was good but tended to be luke warm, but the cuts of meat were good and the lobster large! Again, this is an Italian themed restaurant, yet does not have gelatto as a dessert! Bit of a scrum sometimes around the food station which is a bit small. Service, as ever was good though.

All drinks were stunningly expensive with Veuve champagne £35 a glass! as an example. If they reduced their prices they would actually sell a lot more. And in the shop off Reception, a tube of Pringles will knock you back 53 AED - £10! Bonkers!

We tended to sit around the green to sunbathe and were well served by Shrikant who, we discovered, is a fellow Gooner, so we had plenty to talk about as Arsenal had just been knocked out of the FA cup, and next week face Bayern, so are looking at being knocked out of the Champions League too! The water situation should be overhauled as it is not frequent enough, if it wasn't for us bringing bottles down from the room, it would have been very uncomfortable in 36 degrees of sun. The cold, fresh fruit kebabs AM and PM were very welcome!

I swam each morning despite the notice saying the pool was closed, but no one interrupted me, so thanks for that, it was much appreciated. I went to the gym a few times in the evening too. It is very small but the equipment is of a good standard, but once a couple of you are in there, it gets cramped very quickly.

Overall we had a fabulous holiday and would return despite the few niggles above - they're not deal breakers and some are easily resolved like the wifi and water issues.

Room Tip: As last year - a top floor guarantees a view otherwise all you get is trees and foliage!
Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Palace at One & Only Royal Mirage Dubai? Share your experiences!