“arabian splendour” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 499 Hotels in Dubai
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
“arabian splendour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

Loved my stay at Mina A 'Salam , Had been to the hotel before for tea, but this was my first stay here , and I absolutely adored it, Some of the rooms have been revamped and are stunning , the older rooms do look a bit tired, but I'm sure will be sorted soon. The view from the room , was amazing and I started my day with views from the burj al arab right to the palm jumeirah with the glistening arabian gulf inbetween. The private beach is well maintained and beautiful. My little boy (4) adored Sinbads Kid Club, staff are plentiful and really friendly and kind, you can definitely leave your kids with complete peace of mind.
Staff were pleasant but I have to mention Mr Rahul at the front desk who was especially accommodating.
We loved taking the abra to the souk next door, where there is a Costa coffee and Starbucks and some good dining options. The souk is wonderful to wander around so don't miss that .
The only thing I was a little disappointed with is that Wild Wadi was closed for maintenance, seeing that we travelled during the 'Dubai shopping festival' which is still peak season I was surprised. Maybe they should look at closing for maintenance at quieter time.
The hotel is 10 min or more away from the emirates mall (depending on traffic ) and about 20-30 min away from Dubai mall, so you can enjoy the hustle and bustle of these huge malls and then come back to a relaxing , scenic , peaceful atmosphere quite easily.
Also Loved the library on the 5th floor with beautiful views , another place to relax .
If you can , stay here , you wont regret it.

Room Tip: Sea View rooms are amazing and ask for a newly renovated room.
Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
MJGuestfeedback, General Manager at Mina A' Salam at Madinat Jumeirah, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your complimentary review on TripAdvisor, following your recent stay with us at Mina A'Salam.

It is always very rewarding to receive such compliments as the team endeavour to ensure that every guest leaves with great satisfaction. We are most appreciative of your comments regarding our team at the Sinbad Kids Club and our Duty Manager, Rahul. I am sure they will be very happy to receive your feedback.

Once again, thank you for choosing to spend your holiday with us, we certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Mina A'Salam in the future.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

I have been to Dubai so many Times but this time it was fantastic. Weather was pleasant so i spent most of the time at the beach and the pool.food was great.it was a weekend n quite busy.I was surprised that the service was really quick and the staff were friendly. There was this cool looking button I could press that said "service" and Staff came quickly as soon as we pressed it! We had drinks and food served in a breeze, something we never experienced before on a beach resort. Overall I recommend this Hotel for anyone that prefers a great place on the beach however its on the higher budget.

• Stayed January 2014
MJGuestfeedback, General Manager at Mina A' Salam at Madinat Jumeirah, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing Mina A'Salam on your recent trip to Dubai.

I am delighted that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. Thank you for all your complementary feedback, in particular with regards to our newly implemented paging system on the beach. It is always our main focus to provide our guests with the best service at any part of the resort and thank you for your kind acknowledgement.

Once again, thank you for your comments, we all look forward to welcoming you back to Mina A'Salam in the future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 4-5 days, excellent hotel , had the room over looking the beach , too good, food is fantastic, service is superb, staff is courteous. Walkway in the hotel is fantastic, good multi cuisine buffet ,would recommend for stay

Stayed September 2013
Dear Guest

I am delighted to learn from your review that you previous stay with us at Mina A'Salam, remain memorable for you. Thank you for sharing all the wonderful feedback with regards to your stay, I will definitely share this with the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel, hopefully in the near future.

Munich, Bayern, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

After staying at Madinat Jumeirah at least twice a year for the past 5 years and always staying at Al Qasr, this time we stayed at Mina A'Salm, and my goodness we were definitely not disappointed!! There was never a particular reason for always choosing Al Qasr over Mina - on our first trip there, the price at Al Qasr was cheaper and then we enjoyed it so much, we just kept on returning and we always requested the same room, and we knew a lot of staff, so it just felt like our second home. As it was a last minute decision to take a holiday just after Christmas, Al Qasr was already fully booked, so it forced us to get out of old habits and try out Mina. I am so, so glad we did :) It was a truly fantastic holiday (once again) from start to finish :) The hotel car picked us up from the airport and as we are returning guests, we were able to go directly to our room and check-in was carried out there. Fantastic service, as it was late and we wanted to go to bed, especially as we had our 3 year old with us! My little man was extremely happy to receive his soft toy turtle on his bed and his little bag of toiletries. The staff were also kind enough to give him the Christmas stocking filled with Santa and Rudolph chocolate and candy canes, although we arrived a couple of days after Christmas, so he felt like Santa had been to him in Dubai and his smile could have lit the room when he saw it. Sometimes it really is the little things that make it extra special ;) this hotel are very good at that! They knew we might be a bit hungry, so there was a few snacks for us as well and some beautiful flowers.

Our allocated room was on 6th floor (only a few doors down from the Royal Suite - so must be a good level and view) and overlooking the hotels tranquil waterways, on which the Abra boats take you around the resort, the beach and the sea. We also had a magnificent view of the iconic Burj al Arab and we could also see the Palm Island as well. Directly underneath us was the Turtle Rehabilitation area and we could make out the turtles swimming around down there, which delighted our son :) Our room had also recently been renovated and I love the colour choices and décor in general. The room was also very well laid out and we had plenty of space to move around, even though we kept the sofa bed made up, even during the day in case our little man wanted a nap in it. It had also got the modern technology of touch screens to turn lights on and off and also the do not disturb sign for the door, which was great! The balcony was large and a perfect place to sit out in the evening and watch the Burj al Arab change colour! The room was always cleaned well and housekeeping did a great job of keeping our mess under control ;) supplies were replenished as soon as they were used of the amenities in the room and I love the evening turn-down service with the gift and a towel folded animal on the bed.

To those of you who have read my Al Qasr reviews and now want to see what I have to say about Mina, sorry to repeat myself, but I want the new readers to have all of the information. We personally find it best to book our stay directly with the hotel reservations for the main reason that we collect 'Sirius' points by doing this. I believe that they also offer a deal to match any other offers 'like for like' you might find else where. You can also collect points each time you eat and drink in any of the hotels restaurants and bars. By doing this and staying enough times, we managed to obtain the Sirius Gold Card, which offers many advantages and even if you don't earn enough points to do this, you can still earn points towards a nights stay or wine with dinner etc, so as it's easy to sign up and is only a point collecting card and not a credit card, it's good to do anyway :) There are brochures in the restaurants to fill out and you can ask when you phone to reserve as well. this makes it all more affordable for us. My husband, who is the card holder, now gets complimentary breakfast for both of us, we are able to have complimentary airport transfers in both directions, a room upgrade (depending on availability) and we can also use the Premium Leisure Club and Executive Club at the hotel, which offers soft drinks for free throughout the day as well as snacks and afternoon tea. Lee from the Mina PLC took great care of us all and everyone was so lovely in there and we also went over to say hi to our friends working in the PLC at Al Qasr and it was good to see Club Lounges Manager Daisy Rodriguez and Julia again and they made us feel very welcome :)

The setting of this hotel is just truly gorgeous and clearly a lot of thought went into the design and planning. I fell in love with it when I first saw it and I am still in love. Madinat is like a mini Venice in the desert because of the purpose built waterways all around it and it makes it unique!

The quality of the customer service in absolutely all areas matches the setting and is impeccable. They take it very seriously at this hotel. The staff wherever you go are always pleasant and polite and speak before spoken to, wishing you a good day, which I love. The staff at this hotel always go the extra mile to help as well, for example when my son lost his cuddly toy somewhere on site, the photo I sent to the manager of Mina, Ms. Gisela Clark, was made into a 'Wanted' poster and emailed around the different areas in an attempt to find it. Also, my boy wasn't having the best of luck and broke his headphones. First the hotel tried to fix them and when unsuccessful, they had a driver take them to an electrical store. For legal reasons, they were unable to work on them, so the hotel sent us a list of products to choose new ones from! This is the kind of standards I have come to expect from this hotel and I can't imagine this happens in too many other places. Thank you so much for that!! We really appreciate it :)

The location of the hotel is also very convenient. The 'Mall of the Emirates' is only about 10 minutes away by taxi, traffic dependant and taxis are very cheap compared with UK prices. There are plenty of shops and also an indoor ski slope there! There is normally always taxis at the hotel entrance so everything is easy! Only about half an hour away is the massive Dubai Mall which has more shops than you could imagine and the Burj Khalifa (World's tallest building). However, this hotel is so great that it's a struggle to leave the beach or the pool to go do something else, but there's plenty around if you choose to do it. The hotel concierge can also organise a variety of different trips for you as well.

As with staying at any of the sections of this resort, you can use all of the facilities, including free access to Wild Wadi Water Park, which is right on site and there is a huge range of restaurants to choose from, that cater for every taste. For breakfast there is a fantastic buffet and we always chose to eat at Khaymet al Bahar, which has pool and sea views. Darren the Manager, Octavian, the new Assistant Manager, Charlie and the rest of the servers all made sure we had everything we needed, especially fruits chopped and peeled for the little man also my favourite vanilla iced coffee :) The great thing was, they knew what we wanted and we didn't have to ask - it just arrived at the table! Christine always greets us with a smile, Chef Inder and Chef Joseph took care of us too :)

For dinner, we ate at our favourites again, which are: Segretto, an Italian with waterway views, great food and service and a lovely atmosphere, Pai Thai, which has a very romantic setting and delicious food and it's great to see Beth, who looks after us really well there, MJ's Steakhouse, which we love and Agnelo always gives us fantastic service and Zeng He's, where the food is yummy and the view is beautiful. If you like fish, you have to go to Pier Chic, which is of course located at the end of the pier! Fab setting and view and great food too. We also tried out the new Mexican restaurant, which has taken over from 'The Wharf' and we had some really delicious chicken fajitas and margheritas there and it was lovely to meet the manager, Lorena Guerrero, Assistant manager Felipe Tapia and also the head chef, Carlos Hannon, who also gave me very useful tips on how to ripen my avocados at home :) The staff were all really lovely to us and also entertained boy for us. Just to let you know, a few of the restaurants don't allow children under a certain age, but just check when you make a reservation. The 'Souk' between the hotels also adds additional restaurants and coffee shops and there are also some other shops and a pharmacy.

I also love how at this hotel, you can use the golf buggies or go by foot and use the facilities of the Jumeirah Beach hotel next door, dine at their restaurants and you can also go inside the Burj al Arab (but only with a dinner or afternoon tea reservation or if you are a Sirius Gold Card holder), as they are all part of the Jumeirah Hotel Group. This gives you a massive choice of dining and drinking without having to take a taxi anywhere, which we always find great, as then we can take the pushchair and when little man falls asleep, it's no problem to push him back to the room and transfer him to bed.

The golf buggies take you around the resort in general as do the Abra boats. Every morning and evening we used the Abras to get from Mina to the kids club as it's our favourite way to travel. We were always greeted with a warm welcome and every driver was very friendly. A big thank you to all the drivers we chatted to who went out of their way to make our son feel special, particularly Helen Eshetu, who we have known since our first visit and is fantastic with our boy, then also Aicha, Lijans, Nishal, Nanda, Sameh and Pasad from Security.

We were also lucky enough to spend New Year's Eve at the hotel for the first time and we chose to be seated in The Arena, a large conference hall. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I knew that from this hotel, it was going to be amazing - it totally exceeded my expectations!! The room was decorated to absolute perfection. Nothing had been forgotten at all and the attention to detail was astounding. Free-flowing alcohol and an astounding array of sumptuous food set out along the walls decorated with ice sculptures and a chocolate river in the desert section! The band got the party going and then when it was almost midnight, a bagpiper led us to the beach to watch the fireworks display, which as it's Dubai, was a world record attempt! It was an unbelievable display and I was thrilled to be a part of history, as the Guinness World Record was actually achieved :) Then it was back to The Arena to continue the party. Hand on my heart, I can honestly say it was mine and my husband's best New Year's Eve ever! I know where I am hoping I can be this year!! If you get a chance, you should try it!

We used the babysitting service again on several evenings (including New Year's Eve), as we have for the pervious two visits, and I am a Mum who definitely would not just leave her little man with anyone - as most Mum's wouldn't and I am absolutely confident of the babysitting standards here. The staff are trained with children and work at Sinbad's Kids Club. This is also where you can book the babysitters. I wanted to be organised as I knew the hotel was pretty full, so I just contacted the hotel and I was able to book via email for the nights we definitely wanted before we left home, but we also didn't have a problem to add an extra night once we were there. We used Mickey (female) and Jamel (male) this time again and our son had a great time with both, which was brilliant as he is super shy and takes a while to warm up to anyone. They just have a 'way' with him and he's always asking to see them or talking about what he did with them, even now we're home! He's known Mickey and Jamel from Sinbad's Kids Club, which helped him to get to know them and to be comfortable to stay with them.

Sinbad's Kids Club is really great! They have a lovely air-conditioned inside area for the kids to play and a fantastic pool with water sprays and a slide. They also have some organised activities, such as face painting, card making, shell painting and turtle feeding and there is a timetable to make sure you know what's going on and when. There are also organised pool games as well. The people who work there are really lovely and they always make a big effort with my son. A special thanks to Mickey, Jamel, Kima, Victoria, Elmer and Rudolph for everything they did and to everyone else there as well :) It was good to meet Jenna, the new manager, and to see her so 'hands-on' with the kids and joining in with the activities.

The beach at the hotel is fantastic! It's such a lovely long stretch and it never feels crowded, even though the hotel was full during our visit. They have now installed some fantastic new 'buttons' on the umbrellas, which now makes ordering a drink or some food from the comfort of your sun-lounger without having to move way easier than it used to be :) There are now also 'beach huts' along the beach where you can go to order from as well if you feel like stretching your legs. These are especially useful because the service on the beach is now much quicker - previously the staff had to go to the pool area or Shimmers restaurant to collect the drinks, but now they have them right to hand. A very, very successful new addition :)

Water-sports also take place directly from the beach. We took a speedboat trip around Palm Jumeirah again and thoroughly enjoyed it. The guys who took us out were very informative about all of the landmarks, they were careful too and slowed down whenever we asked them too and had a laugh with us.There have also been other improvements on the beach since Bryan has taken over managing it. Now, to add to the enjoyment, there are two golf putting areas in addition to the ping pong, beach volleyball and football and I really noticed this time that the water-sports guys were getting involved in playing all the games and umpiring the volleyball etc, which was great to see as sometimes before the kids didn't have anyone to play with. A huge thank you to Brian for making our little man so happy and to all the rest of the team as well :)

I have to emphasise that I am super impressed with the lifeguard situation at this hotel as well. It takes safety of the guests very seriously and there are lifeguards all the way along the beach, as well as lifeguards everywhere you look around the Mina, Al Qasr and Sinbad's pools. I have seen them in action as well, in fact three times they were in the water to help struggling kids at Sinbad's pool in one day, faster than their parents who were also nearly! It's very reassuring, especially when you have a little one, to know that more than just your pair of eyes are watching over them :) The lifeguards have training every day which keeps them fresh and Katy Khor, Assistant Manager in the Operations Department, does a brilliant job of organising the lifeguards, as well as taking the time to speak to us and make little man smile :) They are all friendly and helpful and Chamara Indika on the beach always makes a big effort with us and Zac thinks he's great. There is also a doctor on site, which is very helpful, just in case you should ever need one and we have used this service several times. They can come to your room or you can go to them.

I booked a whole body massage at the Talise Spa for my husband for a surprise. Thanks to the Director of Spa and Wellness, Steven Wagner for organising this. Mark from the Philipines did the massage and my husband had appointments with him before on previous visits and always sings his praises and this time was no exception, so thanks to Mark as well :) The spa in general is gorgeous and the atmosphere in there is just so relaxing and calm -just as it should be :) I'm hoping it's my turn next time we visit ;)

During our stay we were delighted to be invited to the 'Festive Guest Cocktail Reception' at the beginning of our stay and also another Manager's cocktail party before we left (as we are regular returning guests). What brilliant evenings with a delicious array of food and treats and free flowing drinks. It was a pleasure to be able to chat with Ms. Margaret Paul, Resort General Manager for Madinat Jumeirah and we really appreciate the invitation. Thank you so much Margaret for all your assistance in making our stay memorable and fantastic in every way! It was also wonderful to meet some of the other members of staff, especially Ms. Gisele Clark, Hotel Manager of Mina A'Salam, who made us feel so very welcome and helped make our stay special also the Director of Rooms, Shashank Vatsa, who is a genuinely lovely man, who made sure we had everything we needed and more in our room! It was also a pleasure to meet Mr. Jerome Barbeau, the Food and Beverage Manager at Mina and chat with him about the restaurants on site.

I really, really cannot say enough positive things about this hotel and the people who work there and I can't wait to return. I just have the dilemma now of which section to stay in! Has our stay at Mina converted us? However, I guess it doesn't matter - we will be remaining loyal and happy customers of Madinat Jumeirah and after so many visits, we are still most definitely not bored with his beautiful place :) I am always made to feel very special and very important during my stay, and although I am not a celebrity, I feel like I am treated as one- that is a fantastic feeling, even if it is only for a week or two ;)

So, if you've managed to read to the end of this lengthy review and you are interested in this hotel still, I really recommend you should try it out if you get the opportunity, but this comes with a warning that you may never want to holiday at another hotel, as that's what happened to us!

(It should be noted that - Madinat Jumeirah do make it clear on the website that there is currently some building work being done next to the Mina A'Salam section of the hotel and of course some rooms do look out onto that, although, the prices also reflect this. We were lucky enough to be upgraded to sea view because of the Sirius Gold Card, although we had actually booked one of these construction view rooms ( but you don't spend all day in the room!), so I can't comment on how the building work would affect your stay.)

Room Tip: We were lucky enough to be upgraded due to our Sirius Gold Card status to the amazing Room 601, whic...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
MJGuestfeedback, General Manager at Mina A' Salam at Madinat Jumeirah, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Dear Guest

I am thrilled to read your glorious review of your experiences at Madinat Jumeirah over the years. Your feedback is certainly a true reflection of the team's effort in ensuring that our guests receive nothing but the best of service, product and experience.

I will share your feedback with the Mina A'Salam team as well as the rest of the resort and I am sure they will sincerely appreciate your wonderful comments.

On behalf of the team at Madinat Jumeirah, thank you for always choosing Madinat Jumeirah and for your loyal patronage over the years. We all look forward to welcoming you and your family back to Madinat Jumeirah in the near future.

Bolton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

I have just come back from Dubai on business and had the pleasure of staying in this hotel. The hotel is immaculate and the staff are very willing to help. I eat here most evenings and the choice of restaurants is overwhelming but superb it caters for everyone. The facilities are very good and they even have their own lake where you can take a trip around the resort. You also have free access to Wild Wadi, although I didn't go this time I have heard really good reports about it. If you are looking to stay in Dubai on business or holiday I would highly recommend this hotel it truly is 5 star

Room Tip: I stayed in a standard double room and it was amazing the views are fantastic
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
MJGuestfeedback, General Manager at Mina A' Salam at Madinat Jumeirah, responded to this review, February 2, 2014
Dear Guest

I am delighted that you managed to enjoy some of the facilities and services that we have to offer our guests within the resort. I hope the next time you visit Dubai, it will be solely for holiday purpose.

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and recommending our hotel, we all look forward to welcoming you back to Mina A'Salam in the future.

Newport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

i can just say one word "Excellent".

That just about sums up this hotel with it's surrounding resort.
I've read all the recent reviews and agree with all the positive comments,
The only downside is the building work on one side of the hotel which you don't hear if you are on the beach or in the main hotel or resort.
We had a work-site room which we were told about at booking. Just be aware either use the earplugs provided or use the opportunity to get an early morning truck reversing beep to wake you up.
The room did however have one of the greatest views of the Burj al Arab hotel you could imagine and if you don't know about this hotel it is a stunning landmark on it's own island just off the beach next door.

The service from the staff is first class and all the restaurants in the resort were very busy which is always a good sign.
it.

we are already considering returning next year. The only problem now is where else will you go after such a wonderful stay.

And regarding Dubai itself, Ive been to new york and thought that is the most amazing skyline but the area around the burj kalifa looks like the set of a science fiction movie, it is quite amazing. The Dubai mall with the attractions inside has to be seen to be believed.

Room Tip: Choose the ocean side rooms, as for a while the building work will be a disturbance.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing to stay at Mina A'Salam on your recent visit to Dubai. I am glad to learn that the work that is currently on going adjacent to our hotel did not deter you from your enjoying your stay with us.

I appreciate all your comments and in particularly happy that you are considering to return next year. Once again, thank you for sharing your experience and we hope to welcome you back to Mina A'Salam in the future.

LONDON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

Excellent location, excellent staff, beautiful setting, truly concerned and friendly staff from front desk to housekeeping. Difficult to fault the hotel, from booking to check in to the quality of restaurants, service, room facilities, all excellent. I was there on business for a short time so little frustrated could not enjoy all facilities. Resort ( Madinat Jumeirah ) also has on site the Al Qasr hotel, which is where the rich boys hang out with their long legged girlfriends in short dresses. Between the two you can take the Arab ( small boat) or walk. Plenty of waterside restaurants as well as the 'souk' . Not sure difference in price ( some say 50+%) between the two hotels but you can do far worse in Dubai than Mina a'Salam.

Only down side is building works going on next door - so get a room away from that side unless you want an early morning wake up call.

Room Tip: keep away from the building works on going to the side.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
MJGuestfeedback, General Manager at Mina A' Salam at Madinat Jumeirah, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear Guest

It was unfortunate that you were not able to thoroughly enjoyed all the facilities and services available within the resort due to your travel purpose and length of stay. I sincerely hope you will have another opportunity to stay with us again and be able to relax and enjoy what Madinat Jumeirah has to offer.

Thank you for your feedback and recommending our hotel on TripAdvisor, we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Hotel Manager

Been to Mina A' Salam at Madinat Jumeirah? Share your experiences!