“Simply Gorgeous” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Shangri-La Hotel, Dubai

You added Shangri-La Hotel, Dubai to your Saves list
Shangri-La Hotel, Dubai
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Sheikh Zayed Road | PO Box 75880, Dubai, United Arab Emirates   |
Ranked #44 of 487 Hotels in Dubai
Mauritius
“Simply Gorgeous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

My wife & I stayed there in January 2013 for 4 nights.The service is really wonderful compared from the other 5 star hotels.Friendly and attentive staff greets you right from the entrance of the hotel.Small attention that makes the difference.The main lobby is huge, clean & luxurious.Room is large with good view of Burj Khalifa , the tallest building of the world.L'Occitane's amenities (Body lotion, soap, shampoo etc..)are also offered.The breakfast is complete with international food.Fresh fruit juices and even Perrier are offered.Did not have the time to visit the spa & use the pool.But I guess they must be very comfortable.The location is quite OK.No MRT near-by but taxi services are widely available to Mall of Dubai & other Dubai attractions.Will surely stay again at Shangri la if we have the opportunity.Simply shangri la.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I stayed in the Shangri La as a last minute plan in December 2012 for 7 nights and it was one of the best last minute decisions I've made! From the moment I pulled up outside the hotel I was greeted by friendly and welcoming staff who instantly took care of my luggage. Check in was quick and straight forward and again, the staff on reception were very friendly and made me feel very welcome and checked me into the best possible room they had which all added to the first impression of the hotel and the staff which was very good even before this! The rooms are very comfortable, nicely decorated and cleaned to an excellent standard with nice little finishing touches. The food available in the hotel is excellent, good variety for both breakfast, dinner and daytime snacks. The pool is nice and relaxing with a great direct view of the Burj Khalifa, the pool area is kept clean and all staff are attentive and friendly. With being a keep fit fanatic, gym facilities are important for me and these were also great. The Shangri La is a very good location for many of Dubai attractions, the Dubai Mall and Burj Khalifa are around a 5/10 minute taxi ride.
I am currently back in Dubai (Jan 2013) whilst seeking job opportunities and I am once again staying at the Shangri La, this hotel is completely faultless and has met all my expectations once again! The only downside for me is that I wish to extend my stay for 1 extra week, upon enquiring I was told there is availability but at a substantially higher rate than what I have paid for this week. This of course is disappointing but certainly hasn't put me off from returning again in the future or recommending this hotel to my friends and family.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I stayed with friends at this Hotel for 5 nights.
The rooms were spacious and very 'chic' What i lakes most about the hotel was the facilities; A great Gym, the outside swimming pool with a cocktail bar is a great place to relax and have a drink. Also few shops and a very nice spa.
Location is very good and close to shopping malls but there is no beach on the facilities. However it takes a short ride by cab to get to the beach. Service was very good too.

Room Tip: Views from rooms on the top are amazing. If you can choose a high floor go for it!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Brighton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Stayed here for just 1 night before boarding a cruise at Port Rashid, wished we had stayed longer. Amazing hotel, second to none service, excellent food and wonderful facilities. Our room on the 19th floor was huge, well appointed and very comfortable. This hotel is worlds class, we will certainly be back soon.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Bartlesville OK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I stayed at the Shangri La as a solo traveler for 7 nights in late December 2012. I agree with much written by Yocal_Denmark - the Horizon Club staff and the terrific location make this hotel hard to beat. It is about a 10 minute walk to the Financial City Metro stop on the Sheik Road so one can get anywhere fairly easily. The Dubai Mall is a $5 taxi ride (you cannot walk to it due to the overpasses between the hotel and mall). My room on the 40th floor had an amazing view of the Burj Khalifa. My only complaints (and they are small) were 1) no DVD player in the room or pay per view movies, and 2) the TV speaker in the bathroom had a broken knob which was stuck on the High Volume position.

The location of the hotel you stay at in Dubai is important. In fact, I would pick the area in which you want to stay first and then narrow down your hotel search. If you are looking for a beach resort, then select Jumeirah, the Palm Island, the Walk or the area around the Burj al Arab. If you like the old city, then the Hyatt and Intercontinental near Festival City may be more your style. For me, the location of the Shangri La was perfect because it was in the heart of the Financial district with easy access to Metro and taxi transportation.

Finally, a special thanks to the Horizon Staff, especially Grace and Vanessa as well as the breakfast chef. The scrambled eggs I had every morning were the best I have ever eaten.

Room Tip: Higher floors with views of the Burj Khalifa are amazing.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Chichester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Fantastic location, fantastic hotel and facilities. The staff cannot do enough to help you. Cannot wait to go back !!! We only ate there for breakfast and that kept us going for most the day until the evening meal which we ate out.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

This is our 4th visit to this lovely hotel, we have been here for the last 3 Christmas's, and the hotel is still as friendly as ever.
We stayed in the Horizon Club again, and Grace and her team where as friendly and attentive as they always are.
The only disappointed that we had was that a few days before we came home we where advised that there was going to be an upgrade on the phone system etc. This resulted in Sky News and Abu Dhabi Sports (this channel shows the Premiership Football) totally disappearing, also all of the channel numbers altered.
This resulted in us not being able to watch any of the Premiership Matches for the rest of our stay.
We complained about this to Grace, and she said that she would pass on to the Hotel Manager our views. The night before we left we checked out, as we had an early flight. When asked if we had enjoyed our stay, we said "Yes, apart from the disappearance of the channels" The next morning we went down to the Lobby for our lift to the airport, where we were greeted by the Assistant Manager who wanted to see us as we had a complaint. We told him what we had said to Grace, and that this was obviously a cost cutting exercise as the hotel would have to pay a lot more for channels with Premiership Football on them. He said that this would be looked into, and we where pleased that he had taken the trouble at 5 in the morning to come and see us personally about this. On our return to the UK, a few days later we received an e-mail from the Hotel Manager addressing our concerns, and thanking us for bringing this to his attention.
At the end of the day if this is all that we had to complain about, then that shows how good the hotel is - however why take out these channels, probably due to a cost cutting exercise when a lot of people from Europe stay here as it is a business hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms over looking Sheikh Zayed Road are the best, and there are fantastic of the Burj Khalifa
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Shangri-La Hotel, Dubai? Share your experiences!