“Well I liked it !” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #192 of 487 Hotels in Dubai
Cambridgeshire UK
“Well I liked it !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

I have to work in Dubai 1 week in 5 and have been staying up at Al Barsha. I fancied a changed so looked for hotels around the Jumareih Beach. Initially I was put off by the prices as being at the office during the day, most of the facilities were to be wasted - I found the Byblos but was immediately put off by Trip Advisor comments - however it was clear if I wanted to stay within in walking distance of the beach walk then I had to ignore comments and go for it ! - The price was competitive with the Ibis at Mall of Emirates - although with the Dubai World Cup on towards the end of the week, I sensed some of the budget hotels were charging more than usual.

Flew in on the overnight flight with around 2 hours sleep under my belt. Straight to t he office - this was my worry. I had read all manner of comments about Noise and was worried right upto going to bed later that night that the noise from the clubs/bars within the hotel would keep me awake.

Hotel looks well from the outside and is located on the Marina. Check in was easy, I asked about a room on a higher level. The receptionist seemed to advise that No Smoking floors were on the fourth and fifth and I would have ot have a smoking room in floor 7. Not what I wanted but referring to tripadvisor I went for it. Fortunately no smoke smell in the room. I had a view half over looking the marina. Room was fine, clean and bigger than most I have stayed in recently - I had a double for single occupency. WIFI is available and is expensive - although it was not a "poor" connection as also advised on here. The issue was you could only have single devices per subscription. So if like me you had a Laptop for work, an I Pad for leisure and a smart phone for convienience you had to take out THREE subscriptions - I heard a woman arguing at the counter as she had a shared room and between the occupants they had 5 devices.

I paid for Breakfast on my room rate but wish I hadn't. It was really rubbish and you are better going over the street to the coffee shop and saving your self for lunch. I only went once to Breakfast. I did not use the pool or any of the clubs - however if you like a pint the pub in the lobby Nelly Gwynnes is awesome. The problem is it is too good an environment with Pool Table, Darts, Live Band and is quite a large area. My work colleagues who live out their had never heard of it - the place was buzzing with mainly non-residents as far as I could see. The problem with this place was it was too easy. There are a number of floor waitresses who just wander around which is good but I am a fast drinker and it seemed they were on me every 15 minutes for "another one sir" - which is OK as I am an adult and should have discipline but I found myself having one too many and at 40 AED per time it was costly. Sure it was their jobs to sell "beer" but I did find it mildy irritating (not in a nasty way and I had no issue with the way they approached me).

So onto the NOISE. Yeah everyone is spot on. The hotel is noisy - I wonder though, I got out on Floor 5 and unless you have a room next to lift shafts which appear to carry the noise I do not see there is a massive problem. I think you would have to try and sleep "listening to the music" if that make sense. On floor 7 it was the same, I stood by the staff lift and the music carried up the shaft was loud, but I was in 721 which is virtually opposite and it never bothered me.

Check out was slow as they have to make various calls for room checking. In fact there were 3 off us checking out at the same time and it was clear we were all leaving. I don't understand why the receptionist didn't gather all our room details together and call housekeeping ? - Instead she dealt with us one by one which resulted in 3 phonecalls.

I need to make a decision now, I didn't feel the Byblos was the right place to stay for a working week although I enjoyed the location immensely . However the usual hotels on the other side of the highway are really nothing but a bed. It is possible as part of my entitlement my familly will join me for a week in May, if so I would not hesitate to book the byblos again.

Room Tip: If you are really bothered about potential noise, you will have to get a smoking room it seems. I wo...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dani M, Front Office Manager at Marina Byblos Hotel, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your very positive review of your recent holiday with us at Marina Byblos Hotel Dubai.

I appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences and recommending us on TripAdvisor and look forward to welcoming you back to Marina Byblos Hotel Dubai in the future.

Dani Moaccad

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014 via mobile

I've experienced poor service and they left my luggage outside in the street because the bellman was busy in the bathroom or somewhere else. The receptionist take housekeeping calls take care of guests bags and manage hotel problems
I've booked for a twin bed marina view room but in the reception they told me that all marina view rooms are actually double bed rooms and also they didn't have any free twin bed room! They gave me a city view room with a very uncomfortable extra bed !!

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your review of your recent holiday with us at Marina Byblos Hotel Dubai.

Please accept our apology for not being able of giving the twin bedded room at the time of arrival ; kindly note as per the hotel structure, our twin rooms are available only at the side which is not facing the Marina , however since your were accommodated with King bed room on the first night , Our team didn't hesitate to move you the second day to a room with twin beds.

I appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences on TripAdvisor and look forward to welcoming you back to Marina Byblos Hotel in the future.

Milton Keynes
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

Having arrived in Dubai after a 8 hour flight our party of 9 arrived at the hotel at about 9.00am and was told we couldn't check in until 2.00pm which was fair enough. We asked if there was somewhere we could change and if possible shower before heading to the beach and was told we would have to get changed in the toilets and there were no showers available.
We went to the beach and returned to the hotel at about 1.00pm the rooms werent ready so we went to the pool and ordered drinks, these took an hour to arrive so once finished we returned to the reception. The rooms still weren't ready and we were told to wait in the lobby, and were told some guests had been waiting since 5.00am! after over an hours wait whilst other people were checked in we were getting annoyed so went back to reception and was told to continue to sit and wait. This time we refused and said we would wait at the reception desk until the rooms were ready, finally we got to our rooms just after 4.00pm!! Even then some of the room cards would not open the doors.
The rooms are clean and comfortable, and the restaurant good but its a shame that our stay will not be remembered by that it was the waiting around and lack of customer service that will stay with us.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you very much for taking the time to write your comments after your recent stay at Marina Byblos Hotel. It was a great pleasure indeed to have you as our guest.

Kindly note that early check-in specially at an early hours is subject to availability ; which has not even requested prior to your arrival.

We do sincerely hope that you will accept that the difficulties you experienced are not reflective of our normal standards here at Marina Byblos Hotel.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

Arriving around 3:00 in the morning just as their clubs were closing and "guests" leaving, not the best impression, but check-in was efficient and speedy and we were soon in our room and cases brought up for us. We asked for non-smoking and were on 4th floor which is all non-smoking - lovely big room well fitted nice bathroom with powerful shower. We found the staff friendly and helpful unlike some reviews. We'd booked half board and the food was mostly well prepared with plenty of choice - once or twice the breakfasts seemed to lack choice but then the next day it was good again. We felt sorry for the chef, as he delivered some lovely evening meals, well cooked and presented, but few people ate here in the evening - and beware the air con was too powerful in the evenings which too quickly spoiled his meals because they went cool too quickly.
Its true what many on here say you do get noise from the hotels clubs - we did hear the music even though on the 4th floor, but that was not as bad as the noise from the road when they were all leaving and going across the road to Bob's Fish & Chip shop !!
More noise spoiled the use of the roof terrace as all you can hear is ventilation fans from all around - the pool however was lovely and warm to relax in.
Overall we did enjoy our stay here (although you might not think so) but as it was our first time in Dubai its not somewhere to go for a quiet holiday, and I think this hotel reflects that - be prepared for noise, noise and more noise - from the traffic, people (especially on the metros) and on-going building works.

Room Tip: As high as possible if you don't want to here the music.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,

Your comments are all noted and we shall look into each of them individually. We are truly sorry for any shortfalls you experienced.

I do hope you will return to Dubai in the near future and look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to Marina Byblos Hotel.

Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

Didn't really use the hotel to get maximum benefit. Some comments:
Check-in was OK at best. Not the most charming reception staff and could not check in early without leaving my passport, which I needed for meetings.
Very close to Dubai Marina Yacht club and Dubai marina. So good access for restaurants.
Room was clean. Room service food was good.
Fitness centre was just adequate, but not expansive.
Pool is about 18 to 20m (they said 20).
Was not disturbed by any noise.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dani M, Front Office Manager at Marina Byblos Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2014

Nottingham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

We booked 3 nights here on a stop-over on the way to the Maldives so we weren't looking to pay top dollar - however we thought the price was reasonable for an advertised 4-star hotel.

Unfortunately things didn't get off to the best of starts. Firstly, we arrived at the hotel at around 9:00 in the morning, having been travelling for some 15 hours, only to be told that we could not check in until 2:00 pm. Now, any hotel who knows the meaning of customer service would have spotted the opportunity to "go that extra mile" to portray a good impression and at least guarantee a good review on this site by maybe offering us a cold drink and perhaps an opportunity to let us change to clothing more suited to the 32 degree temperature that was now beginning to make us suffer. But no, the miserable gentleman on reception practically told us to get out and come back at 2:00pm.

Things got worse when 2:00pm arrived when it became clear that they were incapable of preparing rooms for occupation even at that time. There were other guests who had been waiting since 5:00 in the morning and still hadn't managed to be assigned rooms!

This is when things started to improve, the oriental looking lady on reception had now taken over duties and had a far more polite, and professional approach. She arranged for us to have a room on the 5th floor - although the room we were supposed to be assigned to which faced the marina wasn't going to be ready on time so we were assigned a replacement.

Off we went, up to the fifth floor and found our room - the door key card didn't work! OK, an acceptable error given the furore of the previous hours. Back down to reception, back up again - the card still didn't work. We were then met outside the room by an employee insisting that it couldn't possibly work because we had checked-out - I had only just checked-in!!! Eventually the problem was resolved and we settled in.

The room itself was very spacious and comfortable, and most importantly quiet (having read some of the problems other reviewers had highlighted). So no complaints there. In summary then, the good points:

1: Spacious, comfortable room
2: Nice, varied choice of food in the main restaurant (however see below for related bad point)
3: The service offered by the girls in the restaurant was excellent

The bad points:
1: The total lack of customer care when guests arrive early
2: The choice of restaurants was not very clear
3: The roof-top pool area - if you're going to position a roof-top pool at a hotel by the marina surely you would build it so that it faces the marina - not the building sites on the opposite facing aspects???
4: The furniture around the pool is at best shabby and desperately needs replacing
5: There is no bar by the pool - food and drinks have to be ordered and sent up. Not ideal.
6: And the worst - is this meant to be a hotel with a bar/bars or is it a public bar with rooms? They don't seem to know themselves.

If you like a good quality, peaceful hotel then forget the Marina Byblos. However, if you like English style noisy bars and nightclubs with bouncers on the doors, and stag and hen parties in attendance, then this is the place for you. Maybe we just chose the wrong place out of naivety.

Room Tip: Our room on the fifth floor was ideally placed to avoid noise from above and below
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for visiting Marina Byblos Hotel and the time taken to post your comments on TripAdvisor.

We are sincerely sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We have noted your comments and concerns and we are currently working on improving the points you mentioned. The services you experienced are certainly not reflecting of our usual standards and we are truly sorry for any inconvenience caused. Your comments are appreciated.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

The Hotel is in a very good location. The staff are very friendly and the rooms very spacious. The only complaint was that the reception had only one staff dealing with people checking in and people checking out.

Room Tip: Very good location.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Dani Moaccad

Been to Marina Byblos Hotel? Share your experiences!