“Not good not bad” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #191 of 487 Hotels in Dubai
evergem
“Not good not bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

This hotel gave me mixed feelings.
We arrived in the middle of the night, and the first person I met in the lobby was a drunken English man. Once i was standing at the reception to check in, I was fully awake again, because the music coming from the nightclub was so loud. Strange way for a hotel, the lobby is supposed to give you a holiday feeling, not an Ibiza discotheque.
Our room was on the second floor, and yes, no way to sleep there.....you can only dance along on that floor.
We went back tot the lobby, got a better room on the top floor so no problem there.
But I can not say they handled it with a smile....

The good part was the location, near to the metro station, near the mall and the marina is a nice part of Dubai.
But overall, I would not stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for the higher floors !
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

This hotel had its good and bad points. The rooms were kept clean daily and were comfortable and we had a good view of the marina. We were not far from the beach front, but the pool area was rather noisy. The food was catered for the Russians, so mostly unedible, but nice omelettes could be cooked to order. We were provided with a diabolical packed breakfast on the early morning of our checkout which we binned when we opened it at the airport. Nasty. Not a four star standard! Good location though for restaurants along the marina at night and about 15 minute walk to the beach.

Room Tip: We asked for a view of the marina, which availability was seemingly only for smokers. We don't...
Brisbane
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I am totally disgusted and appalled by the manner in which this hotel charged me for my stay.

Due to some miscommunication my expected arrival date was a day earlier and so I was informed that we, including another couple who were with us, would be charged for an extra overnight stay.
Even though I wasn't happy about this I had to negotiate a lesser charge for our supposed 1 night absence.

It wasn't until we got back to our country that I found that Marina Byblos had charged me twice on 2 different credit cards. The first card I used when I booked over the phone was a formality so they could make the reservation. I did not intend using this card for final payment as it didn't have international currency facilities. I had advised the front desk of this and so when I checked out of the hotel I supplied my travelling credit card to which the total amount was paid in full and an invoice for record was supplied.

So instead of removing the holding amount from the initial card as common practice after the hotel is satisfied that the mini bar was in order and no damage was made to the hotel's property, Marina Byblos processed the transaction.

After numerous attempts in phone calls and emails, management felt that it was their right to do so even though the account was settled by the credit card I presented. Needlessly to say I had to contact my bank to intervene and put a stop to this illegal transaction. During the bank's investigation, Marina Byblos supplied them with a creative invoice that didn't match the one that I had received when I checked out and the amounts presented on the alternative invoice didn't total correctly. This was so obvious that my bank had to reimburse me as I had provided evidence of my full payment along with the invoice that I was given at checkout but I suspect that Marina Byblos did not provide the credit. It has taken 6 months to recover my stolen funds which is why it has taken so long to report this.

So beware of quoting credit cards over the phone when making a booking.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
North
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Terrible service, unclean rooms daily, awful customer relations - English not spoken at a workable standard in some of the staff, nasty food in a tacky buffet, grotty bar indoors full of smoke and grumpy wairesses, expensive drinks, faulty plug sockets, fridge in room left open and turned off after it was checked causing our milk to go off and make the room smell. Appalling view of road and building works having been told we were getting a 'sea view', confusion on check in attempt following 12hr flight, had to wait 45 mins without an offer of a glass of water whilst inept staff messed about and did not update us at any stage. 2 emails prior to our arrival were never answered. Called twice to get bags brought to room, ended up collecting and carrying myselfDuty Manager appeased us by giving a free buffet meal with tap water - chicken was harder than a fighter pilot's thumb as it was so dry. Broken iron sent to room, had to ask for another, twice! Girlfriend unwell after eating fish here for 2 days. Location is good - that is it. I even asked on Day 1 about a refund so we could go somewhere else which in hindsight we should have done. 4* grading is laughable, this is morelike a 2* B&B in the Balkans circa 1994. I will be writing to complain shortly. Worst experience of my life in a hotel.

Room Tip: Go anywhere but here.
Warsaw, Poland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

The hotel is a Russia-driven place where room service speaks to you Russian even if you're not one, event restaurants are targetted for the Russians; area rather noisy due to new buildings being built around, poor and noisy pool on the roof, not a pleasant and cosy hotel, average breakfasts, lobby not very pleasant. Room service comes every day checking bar (?!) - never before had I seen such bar-check on daily basis. Extremely uncomfortable pillows - a nightmare included in package. One must also be patient waiting for a lift. Smelly air from the AC. A 4-star hotel should have much more polite service. A hotel not for demanding tourists/ clients. Advantages: close to metro station. I also definitely recommend downtown Dubai for a stay.

Room Tip: the higher, the quieter.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for duration of 6 days in December 2011, its a lovely hotel and we were given a room on the 7th floor, we had an amazing view of the Marina which was stunning at night and to wake up to. The room was a good size and was cleaned everyday, the bed was comfortable and easy to sleep on. The staff were extremly polite and friendly. The Marina area was lovely, we had a few walks along the Marina which offered some stunning views of the surrounding skyscrapers. There is a 5 minute walk to a big shopping Mall as well as a 5 minute walk to a stunning beach that offered watersports.The location was okay, slightly further out but again a 5 min walk to the Metro and there were always Taxis available outside the hotel. We did not have have breakfast or dinner here however, we did order room service one morning and the food was good. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
peterborough
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Stayed 3 nights in March, hotel is in good position for Marina and Metro, Breakfast was awful Cheap food, poorly cooked and displayed. Only one girl seving coffee to 50 tables, Full of eastern Euopean guests pushing people out of the way before piling there plates as if there was a famine about to take place.

We ate out after the first morning

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Marina Byblos Hotel? Share your experiences!