“Very Professional !” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #19 of 450 Activities in Dubai
Type: Tours, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Funtours is a British managed company that puts your Safety and enjoyment first. We guarantee VALUE FOR MONEY on all our tours and cater to the individual needs of our guests. Our ENGLISH speaking staff is trained to the highest standard of both safety and customer service. Our new fleet of 4x4's are fitted with all the latest safety equipment and fully insured! At Funtours we realise this may be a once in a lifetime holiday, and go out of our way to ensure that you have the best possible experience with us. Our Desert Safari has the best in Dune driving, entertainment and catering.
England
113 attraction reviews
“Very Professional !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Fourteen friends and I went on a Desert Safari tour with this company in order to celebrate with one of our friends who turned 50. The company is very good, efficient and very professional and I was pleased with the overall service from the point of enquiry until the end of the tour.

The drivers x 3 were very friendly and made sure that we enjoyed the experience. They took us to the sand dunes off Hatta road which was beautiful and not as crowded as the main desert location for most companies. During the dune bashing, two of the ladies in my Jeep were sick but the driver provided sick bags! At the camp, we had the opportnuity of going on camel rides, having henna painted on our hands (Optional), taking photos with the costumes, unlimited drinks, food etc. The entertainment was very good as well: Belly dancers x 2, Entertainers x 5 etc. The drivers reserved a whole area for our large group and made sure that we were ok and having a nice time.

Top tip: Although you may find cheaper Safaris, it may not be the best so helps to pay a bit more and go with a very good company. I am speaking from experience as I have been on one desert safari before in Dubai and it was cheaper but not as good as this one.

I will definitely recommend this company to family & friends visiting Dubai!

Visited October 2012
Fiona D, General Manager at Funtours - Desert Safari Dubai, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Thank you so much for this wonderful review, and for the excellent points you made. Mujeeb had mentioned your group to me and that you were celebrating a 50th Birthday. So glad you had such a good time. Thanks.

• Greek first
Australia
“Excellent service and awesum tour guides”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I had booked a package with fun tours for 3N/4D over the internet from Australia. Right at the outset, Karen was wonderful in helping me book a package over the internet suitable to my budget - unbeatable price I would say as I had compared quite a few around including flight centre, escape travels and other Dubai based companies.They put me in a 4-star hotel and I booked 2 tours with them - the Dubai City Tour and the Desert Safari. I was picked up on time from the airport at night and dropped off to my hotel. The next day, Ismail came to pick me up sharp at 9am for the City Tour. He is an excellent tour guide with a wealth of knowledge. I was amazed by his knowledge on each historical monument and the history of Dubai. We went around the city which included the Dubai Musueum, Gold Suk, Palm Beach, Bur Dubai, Deira and then was dropped at Dubai Mall/Burj Khalifa. Ismail was kind enough to accompany me to the Gold Suk to get me a good bargain with his presence. In the afternoon, I was again picked up promptly by another fantastic guide Shahid for the Desert safari. He was great with Dune Bashing and manouvered the car around like a pro. A knowledgeable person again. He even helped to click picks at important spots in the desert. Then we were driven to the campsite for the camel riding, henna, sheesha dinner and arabic dancing. It was fun though the food would have been much better. Sharp at 8.30 we packed up and I was dropped back to the hotel. An enjoyable day indeed. I would highly recommend fun tours for the excellent, prompt and enjoyable service the personnel provide. Thank you guys :))

Visited October 2012
Thank you for your good review, I was starting to despair :) So glad you enjoyed the experience with us.
Rochester, New York
8 attraction reviews
“Toursity but an okay experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

My friend and I participated in the Dinner safari. The overall safari is very touristy and I found many parts to be less than authentic and poor quality such as the food, sheesha, henna (don't pay extra for a larger design). But then again for about $40USD you can only expect so much. The camel ride was SUPER short. There were 3 camels tied to each other. You get on one of the camels and then are lead in a tiny circle for about 2 minutes. Granted you do get to actually be on a camel however in the future I would seek out more true camel ride tours. The camels did look fairly well taken care of so that was good.
The dance entertainment was ok. The male performances were fantastic while the female dancers were lack luster.
Driving through the dunes in the dark on the way out was probably the best part! As westerners, be prepared that the food lines for dinner are separated by male/female.
If you don't have much time in Dubai and are on a budget this is a pretty good outing.

Visited October 2012
Thanks for your review, glad you enjoyed the overall experience. We are looking for a solution regarding the camp as we would also like to make this experience more authentic for our guests! We are limited by red tape which dictates location!
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Cool hanging out in the desert, not so cool at the camp.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

Our funtours guide was really good, had lots of interesting bits of interesting info and was really friendly and it was really cool being out in the desert and taking some photos! The dune bashing went on for a while... Like quite a while... like at the end of it everyone in the 4x4 was feeling a little sick! The camel ride was an experience, the guy who looked after them was pretty obnoxious and then we got to the camp... I was about ready to leave once we got inside, all the people who work there seem to not really like being there so aren't particularly pleasant... The people who put on th stage show reminded us of a bunch of people who's car broke down and they were abducted and forced to put on a show each night for tourists... All in all the camel ride was good (it's not very long but you don't want to be on it for long) and it's cool being in the desert but after that tune out and hope for end of the night and the trip home!

Visited September 2012
Fiona D, General Manager at Funtours - Desert Safari Dubai, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Thank you for your comments. I actually laughed at the abducted Dance troupe, who come from Egypt, so you may be partly right! They are actually their own dance company and are brought in by the camp owners and paid well, however it does seem to be a cultural thing from certain areas to not readily smile and to talk at full volume. I have mentioned this on many occasions but you cannot fight culture!
I would love to be able to provide a more authentic camp experience, hopefully in the future, but as previously mentioned, red tape is a deciding factor. The comments about the camel guy have been forwarded. Thanks.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
11 attraction reviews
“A bit naff but an ok experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

We knew going into this that the tour wasn't going to be a totally legit experience of the Dubai desert. There are what seems like 100 different companies you can go to, and indeed these are split across 35 or so camps in the desert that they go to. I only hope if you pay more for a different company, you get a nicer camp!

Pick up was on time, and we headed to some shops about 40 minutes out of Dubai to wait for the other cars to catch up. You're immediately shuffled into a shop to buy water, go bathroom and the shop owners pounce on you to purchase an array of items. You absolutely don't need to, so don't feel pressured. They put a traditional hat on my partner before he could even object, but they weren't offended when he said no to purchasing. Another guy in our group bartered him down to about 10 dirhams I think.

Next up was the dune bashing. Motion sick beware! I have an incredibly weak stomach so took a nausea pill before going, and I still felt a little queasy afterwards - as did all the strong stomachs in our car! It was spectacular being out in the desert though, but it's all the same after a while and I think 5-10 minutes would have been fine rather than 30!

Now you'll think the duning is over...but you've actually got about 10 minutes more in order to get to the camp! Once there, you'll get the chance to ride a camel. It's literally about 10 metres and back - but that's really sufficient.

When you're lining up for the camel a guy will ask if you want to hold an eagle. Again - there's a cost in this and I wouldn't say it's worth it.

You'll then be led to the table assigned to your tour group. Cushion on the ground scenario, feels a bit legit and it's all ok. There's free water and soft drinks, just go and get em. After awhile there's also the bbq meal. To be honest my partner and I were a bit suspicious of the food and kept it fairly safe, but what I had was pretty tasty. There are separate male and female queues (I guess the custom?) but the food was the same.

There is plenty of dancing in the central stage to keep you entertained - just cover your meals when the characters 'flop' down in some of the dances (the sand will go everywhere). There's also free henna and the chance to dress up in the local clothing which is ok. Free shisha too though we didn't opt for that.

All in all, I'd say if you're after a "kind" of experience in the desert, this would suit you, but aside from the driver (who was great and really informative), the staff barely speak English, and I definitely got the impression that they are very poorly paid and treated - most seemed absolutely miserable to be there, almost mistreated. This seems to be the way with most of the companies though, so just beware.

Visited September 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding the Desert Safari with Funtours. We do an alternative Dinner in the desert for those who feel they are unable to do the Dune Driving. This is very much a personal choice, we have found in the past that if the driving part of the tour is too short, that people complain about that, so we settled on the route and timing in line with previous guests wishes.
I would personally love to give a much more authentic experience as far as the camp is concerned but due to many legal and government constraints we are pretty much stuck with what we can do!
However I have passed on the comments to the people in charge of the camp regarding the attitude of some of the staff. We actually chose this camp due to the treatment of the staff and the onsite catering, which was what I considered far better than many. After spending several days visiting venues.