“Clean but not smoke free” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Howard Johnson Hotel - Bur Dubai

You added Howard Johnson Hotel - Bur Dubai to your Saves list
Howard Johnson Hotel - Bur Dubai
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Khalid Bin Waleed St, Dubai 00971, United Arab Emirates   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Save 15%, Book in Advance
Ranked #292 of 486 Hotels in Dubai
Sydney, Australia
“Clean but not smoke free”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Clean & ok,good area for seeing old Dubai & eating cheaply but there isnt a no smoking policy in the hotel. So everything smelt & we had people in one of our interconnecting rooms who smoked 24/7 aswell as shouted all night - not hotels fault ! This was the main drawback along with the Suncity tour agency who screwed up our trip.

Room Tip: There is 1 smoke free room per floor but you have to walk through smoke filled corridors
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Turkish first
Bradford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

I had a connection flight with a stay of 15 hours in Dubai, I stayed at this hotel with my daughter during our time there and it was wonderful. The hotel room was perfect, it was very clean and cosy and the service was great. The location was great, only a 15/20 minute taxi ride to the Burj Khalifa and the Dubai mall. However at night we found it difficult to sleep as there was music being played very loudly. Apart from the noise the hotel was very good and I would recommend it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Hobart, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We had a two night stay here while stopping over in Dubai. This is the one and only place that we booked through a travel agent and for an unknown reason the hotel didn't have a record of our booking when we arrived (I don't think that this was the hotel's issue). They were very accommodating and quickly sorted out our stay as well as letting us check in at 9am (which was heavenly after a 14 hour flight).

The hotel itself was clean and simple. Breakfasts on offer were 'traditional' continental or indian. The indian was reasonable, but neither my husband nor I thought much of the continental.

It's about a 5 minute walk to the nearest train station.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Ostashkov, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

We stayed in this hotel on the way from Bangkok to Moscow. The hotel we booked in the airline Emirates. Upon arrival, we settled in for 5 minutes. We filled out the questionnaire, took our passports and gave the keys to the room. They explained to us what time breakfast at the hotel, was told that the charge wi-fi that comes with free water and tea sets, there is also a mini-bar but for an extra fee.
In the room, we were not at once, because it was impossible to open the door. But then adapt himself and it worked. The room is quite normal. Carpeted floors, plasma TV, safe, air conditioning. It looked very much at all good. There were even adapters for electrical appliances with a European plug. The linens were clean and fresh towels too, the bathroom was even a bidet.
It offers views on what that port facilities. At 50 meters from the hotel there is a bus stop. A little further away - the Dubai Metro. We did not use the wrong not to others as taking a taxi for a very modest fee - the road to Burj Khalifa cost us 60 AED in both directions (by the meter).
For a 3 * hotel and as a place to sleep - even very good.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I have stayed overnight at this hotel three times, not by own choice but arranged by emirates on a long transit through Dubai. While the room is ordinary (like a room in someone's house) and breakfast choices absolutely basic unless you like greasy Indian food, no free internet, and other crowd in the hotel seemed mostly traders; however as it was just a place to sleep before catching the next flight, I did not mind.
However, my last experience was really shocking. First, at check-in, I was asked to sign a paper saying I agree to pay costs if I damage anything in the room! Never had a hotel do this before although I travel a lot for business. Then they insisted on keeping the passport at the reception, something I never like to do. The night stay was usual and in the morning i called housekeeping to send an iron and board in the room. The boy who brought it again had a paper which i was asked to sign, saying if anything is burnt in the room, the guest must pay a fine. Again, never happened in any decent hotel ever. Anyhow, i checked out a couple of hours later. While I was waiting in the lobby for my ride, the reception guy came and said there is a problem. There are holes burnt in the carpet of the room and I must pay some ridiculous amount (I think it was 1200 DhS) as damages. As I am a non-smoker (and asked specifically for a non-smoking room), obviously the holes were not burnt by me. Meanwhile they made a great show of receiving calls from the housekeeping on this supposed event , etc. The guy said that housekeeping is coming to talk directly with me and I must explain myself to them. I basically refused and challenged that they will have to prove that any damage/holes they are claiming were not there already when the room was taken. to this they had no answer.However, this was a very disturbing and unpleasant experience for me and the way they conducted it. it seems like some scam they have going. On my next transit stopover in Dubai, I will make sure Emirates books me in a decent place.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We booked this hotel for 2 weeks for our stay in Dubai, and firstly reading reviews I was abit concerned. When we arrived early on Sunday we were told we had to wait until 2pm check in time, but with 2 children one of the hotel staff was very efficient , she made calls to have a room cleaned and ready for us. Room was lovely and a nice view of the cruise terminal. when exploring the hotel there was a rooftop pool with jacuzzi, and in the evening its set up for dinner. Breakfast was good choice for Indian and continental , in separate rooms. Location was fab, being in Bur Dubai outside was a bus stop (falcon Interchange) which had a lot of destination. Dubai Museum was about 10 minute walk. Carefour a supermarket was about a 10 min walk near Al ghubaiba bus station and metro which was fantastic, as we didn't have to use taxis as much. But also local shops and restaurants where near by. The hotel offered a shuttle to the beach from 9 am pick up at 1pm. We didnt hear much music from the Rock City Club from our room. The only downfall is Internet very expensive and I think they should at least have a hotspot in the lobby for access. Overall all the staff made our stay very pleasant and I would recommend this hotel and would return in the future !!!!

• Stayed April 2013
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Personally I think it should be given a higher *rating. The staff couldn't have been more friendly not to mention how helpful they all were, the room was beautiful, the rooftop pool/bbq was excellent.

The staff personalised everything by getting to know our names while we stayed there and they assisted us whenever we needed help with anything. I loved every minute in this accommodation and wouldn't hesitate about going back, in fact we are already thinking of booking another trip!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Howard Johnson Hotel - Bur Dubai? Share your experiences!