“Pathetic service, discourteous staff” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Meydan Hotel

You added The Meydan Hotel to your Saves list
The Meydan Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Meydan Racecourse, Al Meydan Road | Nad Al Sheba, Dubai 9305, United Arab Emirates   |
Ranked #104 of 486 Hotels in Dubai
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Pathetic service, discourteous staff”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

I had very high hopes for this place, I was staying 1 night with the family on New Year's Eve and was attracted by the greenery of the racecourse having stayed at the beachfront on previous occasions.

I had prepaid for my room through Travelrepublic and arrived at the hotel at 1.30pm. I was told by the staff, Kawla, that there was a New Year's Eve gala dinner and party and all guests had to pay for it, whether they were attending the event or not.

She informed me that my wife had to pay an additional 875 AED or £145 each - that's £290 even though we had other plans for the evening!!!!

I told her no and she insisted, saying, "It's only 1750 AED" as if that was a small amount of money. I told her no again.

I was then informed my room was not ready and check-in was 3pm.

I have a 6 month old and 4 year old and was kept waiting for a room till 4.30pm, and that was only after I complained repeatedly.

What is more pathetic is that having been ignored by 4 reception staff, I asked for the Manager.

This tall, greasy haired, man was told on 2 occasions I wished to speak with him and he, cowardly, did not speak to me.

I was approached by Katherine, who attempted to make up for the continuing room difficulties.

The staff have a very lazy attitude and almost walk around with an heir of entitlement.

I see here on Tripadvisor the General Manager, A. Treston, leaves messages. Well, Mr Treston, I don't believe you can specifically address my concerns and merely post very generalised comments that you will do better.

I am a testament that, despite your posts here, you do not do better.

For breakfast this morning, I asked the chef for eggs benedict. He says its fried egg or omelette, that's it. Is this a 5 star hotel or not? No facilities for children, I asked for chicken nuggets and I was looked at as some kind of alien.

My wife asked for bread for toast and was told there was none. Why is there no bread to make toast? Pathetic.

Mr Treston, the reviews here have dared you to do better and you have repeatedly fallen short.

You have tried to rip people off for a Gala dinner that you notify them of upon checkin, and with no choice to opt us without kicking up a complaint.

In the end it is disgraceful, I feel that paying for my room, I have lost a lot of money and would ask for a refund for pathetic and discourteous staff service, more of which I am happy to write if requested.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Antony T, General Manager at The Meydan Hotel, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Dear guest,

Thanks for the time you’ve taken to share your feedback with us.

I am most concerned to learn of the disappointment and inconvenience which you have experienced during your stay.

In order to understand the specific sequence of events, I have asked the Front Office Manager to make contact and discuss your overall experience in detail.

Thank you for your understanding in regard to this most unfortunate incident.

Best regards,
Antony Treston

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

Im completly shocked how difficult it has been to book a table for the new years eve gala ball this year. i have sent three emails to your reservations desk and have called the hotel more than seven times and still no luck. the staff answering the phone have little to no knowledge of what is happening and have no idea who to connect you to when you face this problem. this has been a pretty bad experience all round. what a shame.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Antony T, General Manager at The Meydan Hotel, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor.

We would like to extend our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience caused by the above situation. Please rest assured that your feedback has well noted and that the required corrective action was taken immediately.

We have now setup a dedicated Festive Desk, within the hotel lobby and indeed can be contacted no Tel +971 4 381 3112 and Website http://www.meydanhotels.com to attend all guest Festive queries and booking in a very timely and professional manner.

I would like to thank you for your persistence and patience and we look forward to welcoming you and your family / friends to The Meydan over the Festive period

We will look forward you to welcome here at The Meydan Hotel

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

Meydan is off the track a bit, but it's only a short 10 minute taxi ride to downtown and only 15 minutes to the water. Taxi's are plentiful and relatively inexpensive. Hotel is great, rooms really well appointed and best of all, being off the track a bit, very peaceful and quiet! View in the morning is great with the horses being trained, which is nice to watch on the balcony. Food was good, service is very good.

Recommend this hotel if you want a nice peaceful setting.

Room Tip: All rooms face the track, so no real benefit. The elevators are spaced out so would get a room clos...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your feedback in Trip Advisor. It is a rewarding experience for us all, that our hotel’s facilities and services are appreciated by our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Meydan Hotel, in the very near future.

Budapest, Hungary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

Just look at my review of Meydan Beach.... Some of that same experience can be said about the hotel. Breakfasts great food. Hostesses do not speak english well enough to say: Please have a seat or right this way.. or yo man sit yo' behind down. No. Because to say all that, you need proper english. Unfortunately there are two sentences they have learned: Room number? Name? then wave. Yes thank you we will find our seats thank you very much. 9.00 am in the morning we run into a maid on the corridor she says to me, Good Afternoon. LOL, Ok i say she must be just confused, But no she says the same thing to my wife loud and clear :-D My wife received a rose at Armani Hotel Amal Restaurant with a small Armani Tag hanging on it. Steel. Nothing fancy but a nice keychain sort of thing. Well the maid stole it. She untied the rose took of the tag then tied it back up. Neat job! Pfff.
Sometimes they asked us what we would like to drink at breakfast sometimes they did not. Of course the waiters here don't speak english but that's no surprise. And for some reason they always take half full glasses and plates. (no surprise here, same thing at Meydan beach) now when a guy took a plate with food in it in their hand i dont want to fight to get it back and honestly after he touched it i am not sure i WANT it back. Some guys at the concierge desk!! dont speak english. Now that's a WOW.
To be fair not everyone was like that but way too many to not notice.
Generally the training of staff is poor. PLEASE LET HR know, working in a 5 star Hotel requires professional experience. Or at least rigorous training!!! You CANT use people so uneducated that they dont know how to keep themselves clean and not smelly ( like our bellhop or waiters) or people that dont speak the language.
NOW again, i am not picky. YOU chose to build a 5 star hotel with 5 star prices and 5 star services. DONT be surprised if people expect it. Unfortunately guys you are far from it.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with regards to your recent stay at The Meydan Hotel.
We would like to extend our sincerest apologies for the disappointment experienced
Please rest assured that your points are well noted and necessary actions will be taken.

Belgrade, Serbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

Perfect location for vacation without any traffic.
Staff is very, very kindly. I would to recommend this hotel to everyone who need a nice, quite and elegant place. Shuttle from hotel to the beach is organized very well. Everything is perfect!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Antony T, General Manager at The Meydan Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Dear guest,

I am very pleased to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us and have shared your comments to all the staff in the hotel. I appreciate your recommendation of our hotel and we look forward to your return someday.

Best regards,
Glenrothes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

For our first trip ever to Dubai and UAE, we were looking for something extra special. We choose the Meydan because we wanted to be able to explore the City, and relax later in quiet, comfortable surroundings with a nice pool and peaceful balcony, with nice views. This is exactly what we experienced at the Meydan. The Hotel was absolutely perfect, we particularly enjoyed the peace and tranquility, of the Infinity Pool Area, don't miss a swim at dusk, a real treat. The facilities in the room are amazing, and it took our 8 night stay to learn our way round the different controls !
We also used the Beach Club on 2 occasions, and found this a very, very relaxing experience, with first class facilities, easy to use shuttle, and right beside Dubai Marina.
We used the Daily Shuttle to the Malls to start our day off. We found the Meydan Staff to be so very helpful, knowledgeable, and friendly, both at the Hotel and Beach Club. Arriving from the Airport, we were greeted and made to feel special, check in, etc was perfect, and the Concierge Staff were so helpful. Our Dining experiences were great, food and service was of the finest. We enjoyed dining in Farriers, outdoors, and walking along the side of the Race Course afterwards.
On leaving, we again were made to feel special as we checked out and departed for the Airport.
Perhaps the only issue we had was that we booked our stay in between the Horse Racing, and should have checked first ! We arrived just after the Thursday Meeting, and left a few days before the next Thursday Meeting ! So one day we want to return, to see the Horse Racing !!
I Would highly recommend the Meydan !

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Antony T, General Manager at The Meydan Hotel, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for posting your feedback in TripAdvisor. It is a rewarding experience for us all that our hotel’s facilities and services are appreciated by our guests.

We are glad that you have explored as many of our activities and offerings as you could, whilst staying with us. I have taken the liberty of sharing your wonderful comments with the entire team here at the hotel and I am sure that they will be delighted to have received your nice feedback.

We very much look forward to your return, hopefully, in the not so distant future, as you will definitely not wish to miss the most exhilarating and richest horse-racing day in the world, the “Dubai World Cup 2014”!

Al Ain, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

The Meydan was the perfect hotel. The room was awesome and the scenic view of the track is simply amazing. I would HIGHLY recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Dubai and don't care to be inside the city with the crazy traffic.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

I am glad to hear that you have enjoyed our room facilities and the amazing views of our race track. I hope you will come back to watch one of the horse-racing events, now that the season has started.

A. Treston

Been to The Meydan Hotel? Share your experiences!