“Hidden Gem” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Meydan Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Meydan Hotel to your Saves list
The Meydan Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Meydan Racecourse, Al Meydan Road | Nad Al Sheba, Dubai 9305, United Arab Emirates   |
Ranked #88 of 478 Hotels in Dubai
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks in September and had an amazing time! The hotel was everything we wanted and more, very modern and comfortable. The staff were all fantastic and friendly not once did a member of staff or management pass without acknowledging you. Special mention to Vajeesh in Farriers restaurant his service was second to none! We had fresh fruit in our room daily and on the last day we had an extremely early check out and Nirmal Barua arranged for tea, coffee and croissants to be delivered to our room, a lovely touch. Hotel facilities were great, lifeguards very helpful, we played golf at the track challenging little 9 hole, try the night time experience. Food at the cube bar is lovely. Concierge team very helpful and nothing too much trouble. Short taxi trip from Dubai mall or mall of Emirates. All in all a great hotel and we can't wait to return!!

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

I chose this property in Dubai as I live in Abu Dhabi (1.5 hours down the road) and often spend weekends in the city. Having stayed at all the major hotels in Dubai, I decided to go a little further outside the city than I normally do. I found a fantastic deal on hotels.com and decided to book it for a one night stay.

Upon arriving at the hotel, I was stunned by the sheer size of the hotel and the awe inspiring lobby. The hotel has 'Dubai' written all over it; the nicest, the biggest, the best. That being said, this is what you expect in Dubai and a 5-Star hotel in this amazing city. When I went to check-in, there was one couple in front of me yet I had to wait 10 minutes to speak to an employee. The process was easy and friendly, and I had my room key within 5 minutes. The rooms are beautiful, with an amazing view of the race track at The Meydan. The bathroom was well equipped with both a 6 jet shower and a large bathtub for two with a TV included (which didn't work).

Sadly, the physicalities of the property is where I found the 5-star rating ended. From the balcony, I noticed a family walking on the pavement next to the track so I decided to go for a walk as the weather in Dubai is fantastic this time of year. When I went down the the lobby, I asked an employee how I get downstairs and was told that guests are not allowed on the ground floor. I was shocked by this as I had just seen people walking around and at the former Nad Al Sheba course, anybody was able to walk around the track (obviously not on the grass). When I told the hotel staff member that I just saw a family walking, I was told that was not possible. I asked to speak with a more senior person and a security guard arrived...to tell me only the same thing.

After dinner with some friends, I decided to go for a swim as the pool is on the roof of the hotel and has an amazing view of the track and the back of Dubai. After changing, I went upstairs only to find that the pool closes at 7pm. This was rather disappointing as most hotel pools in Dubai close after 9 or 10pm. Instead, I went back to my room to change clothes as I decided to meet some friends in the city. When I was finished, I called to concierge to ask them to pull up my car from the valet. When the agent answered the phone, he told me that I had to go down to the lobby and provide the valet with my card and that it was not possible to do it over the phone (I have never stayed at a hotel which does not offer the call down valet). After waiting for 7 minutes, my car came up and I left.

The next day I wanted to get a few hours in at the pool. This was the only area I experienced service in the hotel; a staff member frequently brought water and popsicles around to guests which is a nice touch. The website states that the pool has a swim up bar, yet for the three hours, it was never staffed. Ironically, from the pool I saw a couple walking around the track for 20 minutes!

In closing, I can say that I was not impressed with the service in this beautiful hotel. I was extremely disappointed with the lack of care provided by the staff in never trying to even meet my simple asks. I would not stay here again nor would I put my family and friends who frequent Dubai here.

Room Tip: Avoid room 633 as the breaker blew out twice and light bulb exploded once.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
UAE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

It's very nice and luxurious hotel , with a variety of room sizes
the staff are friendly , I think it is one of the place in the world that you can see alot of Ferrari cars, all Ferrari owners like this hotel too much.
also you can enjoy the cinema next to the hotel which is the bigest screen in the region.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Dubai is full of hotels trying to outdo each other, and the Meydan has proved to be one of the best we have experienced.
The rooms are modern and very well laid out and have plenty of cupboard space as well as a beautifully concealed coffee counter and bar fridge. the rooms overlook the horse racing track from a balcony.
The bathroom is very stylishly laid out.
Staff service is very good all round, from concierge to reception to dining and bar areas.
The only disadvantage is the location, which is outside of mainstream Dubai and can be a little too quiet when there is no horse racing on.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

To start with, I would say that the hotel is built to amaze the guest, the rooms are great and the lobby is magnificent. Quite impressive and we really had a good overall experience but not until I checked out requesting their front office team to hand me a receipt or slip of the credit card transaction done for my advance deposit. I was plainly informed that they don't have anything to give to me and advise me instead to wait for the reversal of the charges... As a customer any transaction made, I should have a proof of invoice or a slip copy! They let me speak to the front office manager and to my dismay I waited almost 3 hours to have him resolved this issue but still it was not resolved, my bank told me that the letter sent by the hotel was not professionally done! Quite disappointing, we left and wish not to come back as it ruined the whole experience which was supposed to give me a good memory of the hotel and our vacation experience.

Room Tip: Highest floor
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Chichester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

A wonderful hotel with very pleasant staff.
On entering the hotel we were very impressed with the massive lobby area, a swift check in and we were soon being shown our room.
The views from our balcony over the raceourse were very impressive and watching the horses in the mornings was a delight.
The only time we ate at the hotel was for breakfast, plenty of choice to cater for all, seating outside once again gives you views over the racecourse.
We used the swimming pool, and although a little small, it was suffice particularly as the pool area was very quiet and there were plenty of sunbeds for when we were there (Feb 2013).
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and we would definitely return.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Manama, Bahrain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

The buffet lunch in Meydan is nothing but ordinary. With a good view of the horse track fabulous. The architecture is nothing but ordinary. The staff was well attentive to our needs. Its a bit pricy but its all worth it. If you go for an extra classy lifestyle Meydan has what it takes. Gotta try to watch a movie there.

Room Tip: Anywhere you choose the place is really nice.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Meydan Hotel? Share your experiences!