“Smell of Damp” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Meydan Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Meydan Hotel to your Saves list
The Meydan Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Meydan Racecourse, Al Meydan Road | Nad Al Sheba, Dubai 9305, United Arab Emirates   |
Ranked #74 of 471 hotels in Dubai
Eastern Region
“Smell of Damp”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

This was my second visit to the Meydan Hotel and this year i was floor eight rather than the second floor. The views over the racecourse are even more spectacular.
There are in my opinion faults creeping in. There was a smell of damp in my room and judging by the staining on the bathroom door i suspect there must have been some flooding in there recently - the stains reached about 10cm up the door. The decor is becoming slightly worn and some of the fittings were becoming lose.
Strangely the infinity pool on the roof was not what it says on the tin - the pool was not as full of water as it could have been but it was as warm as a bath.
I travelled with several colleagues and we were told that the hotel was fully booked. it did not ever give that impression though.
I did try to have breakfast on the terrace one morning but i was told that i would have to eat indoors which was disappointing.
This is a great hotel but the luxury element is being tarnished by minor faults.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the upper floors for a better view of the racetrack
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
AdemirHusagic, Manager at The Meydan Hotel, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your feedback. In order to rectify the issues which you raised with regards to your room conditions, we would appreciate if you can send us the details of your stay. We are sorry to hear that you were not able to enjoy your meal at the terrace but it was just probably a suggestion which was offered due to the weather conditions and our guests’ safety is always our main concern. Nevertheless, we always strive to fulfill any request from our guests as long as they apply to the law of the land and are compliant with our health and safety policies.

We hope this experience will not prevent you from coming back as we have lots of exciting things to do at the Meydan, from playing golf at our Meydan Golf Club, watching a movie at our Meydan IMAX theatre, which is the biggest screen in the Middle East and Asia today, watching your favorite sports at our Qube Bar, or just relaxing at our Meydan Beach Club facility and many more.

238 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Attractive hotel as a whole.
But definately room for improvement for housekeeping... On one night of my stay, i had the old pillow case in the room on the bed left uncleared. not what you expect from such a nice hotel.
If you realised, there is no clock in the room, leaving you unsure of the time.
staff at the recep wasn't really friendly when i asked for a late check-out.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you for your feedback and observations. In this age of mobile phones and digital devices, we did not think a clock in the room will be missed. We do have the time displayed on our DVD players though and on the TV screen when it is switched on but we appreciate your comments and we will review this in the future. We would like to assure you that we do not tolerate unfriendly behavior and hoping that you informed the Manager-on-duty at the time of occurrence but as a result of your feedback, we will remind all our reception staff on our customer service standards again.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I booked this hotel for my huband's 60th birthday and I couldn't have chosen better.He was in seventh heaven from the minute we arrived.We had a beatiful ,large and luxurious room overlooking the racecourse,and 2 t.vs with all his racing channels.I am not a fan of racing ,but enjoyed the luxury of the hotel.
Although the hotel is out of central Dubai the shuttle service is excellent and taxis are very cheap.We used the shuttle to the Mall and the Meydan beach Club.The beach club was the highlight of my holiday.Perfect service and facilities,and if you stay at the hotel you only pay for any extras such as drinks and food.
Inconclusion I would definately stay here again,and would recommend it to anyone who appreciates good service with a genuine smile.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

We are glad that you and your husband enjoyed your celebration with us. We hope that on your next stay, you can also visit our other facilities like the Meydan IMAX theatre, which is the biggest screen in the Middle East and Asia today, our Meydan Golf Club, The Track, (9- and 18-hole course available) and Qube Sports Bar plus many more.

London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

The competition amongst hotels in Dubai is quite hot, so when a hotel doesn't make the grade, it shows. The Meydan is a good hotel under 2 circumstances: If you are there for the horse racing or If you are there for a conference. If you find yourself in neither of these 2 situations, stay somewhere else. It's distance from the city center is problematic if you want to do a lot of sight seeing as you will spend a lot of time and money on cabs to and from. Same goes if you'd like to experience a variety of restaurants in Dubai, as this hotel, for its size, has very few dining options. The "spa" is more there in theory and the pool is tiny compared to the other hotels in the area, with practically no pool side seating considering the size of the hotel. I tried to lay out 3 days in a row and only found a comfortable seat once without waiting for someone else to leave. I did have 2 spa treatments, which were done in my own room, as they didn't seem to have an actual "spa area" in the hotel. I will say the treatments were very nice, thou very expensive for having been done laying on towel in my own bed. I also felt that that room service menu was very limited, possibly a reflection of the lack of restaurants within the hotel itself. The rooms are big, and done to a very high speck and the views of the racecourse are wonderful, but as I said, if you are not there for the racing or a conference - I would suggest staying elsewhere in Dubai as the city has so many other options.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
AdemirHusagic, Manager at The Meydan Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear guest,

I would like to thank you for your feedback. We are actually just 8 minutes away from the commercial and business districts of Sheikh Zayed Road and provide taxi service 24/7. We also have a complimentary shuttle bus to the Mall of the Emirates and Dubai Mall so if our guest wants to go for a lot of sight-seeing, they can always hop on to the Dubai Metro Train line. If you haven’t dined at our Shiba Asian Restaurant, we actually serve cuisines from India, China, Thailand and Japanese so we have variety of dining options on our menu. We agree with your pool comment and are actually working on adding more sun beds in our pool area and hopefully upon your next visit, we should have enough. Our hotel also caters to visitors from all walks of life, not only to those attending conferences or horse aficionados alike as we have lots of exciting and interesting activities to do at the Meydan, from watching movies in our IMAX theatre, which is the biggest screen in the Middle East and Asia, to our various Sports & Leisure activities such as the shooting simulator, blokart sailing, bicycle rides, martial arts sessions, a 9- and 18-hole Golf Course at The Track, The Qube Sports Bar, our Tennis Academy, Horse Stable Tours, and the Meydan Beach Club facility. We are glad you enjoyed our treatments and an actual spa is still in the works for the future.

Newbury, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

We stayed here last year and enjoyed it enough to repeat the experience.
At the airport our pre-booked car was there to meet us. The driver was courteous and helpful and the car was very comfortable.
On checking-in it was a little disappointing that no reference was made to our previous visit. In all other hotels we have visited in Dubai, repeat custom is valued and acknowledged. A "welcome back" would have been nice.
Our room was actually next door to the one we had last year on the fourth floor. It was a panoramic suite. Last year I complained that some of the fixtures were damaged, the bathroom tv was broken and the shower appeared to leak. This year we had no such problems, but sadly this room was a lot grubbier than the standard of cleanliness the year before. All the toilets, baths, sinks were spotless, but there were loads of ring marks over bathroom surfaces, the coffee table in the lounge and some curious stains on the glass toilet door and on the side of one of the armchairs. I don't want you to think it was filthy - it was "OK" but the standard was not in keeping with the luxury of our surroundings. There also seemed to be lots of dried plaster drips on the main entrance to the suite as well.
Last year I mentioned that housekeeping is the area this hotel really needs to get to grips with. They never cleaned our room until about 5pm unless we asked and it was the same again this year - despite the "Please make up the room" sign going on no later than 9.30 each day.
On a positive note the suites here are huge and well-appointed,. I am a real horse-racing fan so the balcony overlooking the racecourse and access to Dubai racing channel and SIS for English racing just about put me on cloud nine. In the morning, the horses do their workouts on the track and it's great to climb straight out of bed and watch them.
In the restaurants service at the hotel was patchy. The lounge bar was very friendly and efficient. Farriers for breakfast was fine except that on only 1 day in 5 were we given napkins for the table and flagging down a second cup of coffee was often quite a challenge. Having said that, the buffet breakfast was extensive and the food itself of excellent quality.
We were most impressed with out visit to Shiba bar. It is very smart and comfortable, but I couldn't choose between a seat by the window or a seat by the tv showing English racing. In the end I chose the window at which point the staff put the racing on the tv nearest me without anyone even mentioning it to them - we were most impressed with their attentiveness.
Dinner, on the other hand was not the best of experiences. We ate at the hotel twice and both times there were significant errors. At Bel Pasta we were served with the wrong order but still enjoyed the experience. The manager was aware of the error and made suitable recompense without us being put through the embarrassment of making a complaint. Actually we quite liked what we ate and were impressed by how "on the ball" the manger was!
I am less forgiving about our experience in Farriers where we ordered starter and main course from a waiter who was clearly having difficulties understanding English. When our starter hadn't arrived after 45 minutes I began to suspect he was going to serve it with our main course, so we explained our order to him again. We then explained it to another waiter who appeared to speak more English, but they still served everything together. We then sent back the main course whilst we had the starter, which was re- served to us, dried out, some 25 minutes later.
My husband complained to the manager who appeared completely unaware of what was going on and then blamed his staff for not telling him. Not at all the quality of the management at Bel Pasta - surely he should keep an eye on inexperienced staff?
I'd like to finish on a positive note because we received some really hospitable gestures from the hotel, such as the free golf buggies which took us to and from the racecourse, and also the sports bar, through to the day we were supposed to get a shuttle to Bab Al Shams and were offered a free journey in the hotel car instead because we were the only people going.
In summary, I would recommend you come here if you love horses and are prepared to eat dinner away from the hotel. We will certainly be back, although any further deterioration in housekeeping standards would decide me against it. Actually, this really does have the potential to be a top-notch hotel if they could just get to grips with the standard of housekeeping. We're hoping to be pleasantly surprised next year, third time lucky...

Room Tip: I like the fourth floor - it's close enough to see the horses but not so close to all the noise...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for your in-depth feedback of our hotel’s services. I assure you that I am going to work on resolving all of these issues as soon as possible with my team, most especially the Housekeeping Department. I am glad that you liked Shiba and Bas Pasta Restaurants and I will discuss the points which you raised with regards to our Farriers Restaurant. I definitely agree with you that there should have been close supervision where it is needed. Hopefully, upon your next return, you will see the improvements.

Dubai
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Attractive hotel, stay completely ruined by their addiction to piping music into the public areas and corridors. This means that there is a low level yet audible soundtrack wherever you go in this hotel. Imagine sleeping next to someone with an ipod permanently playing - thats how irritating it is.

Secondly - 5 pieces of equipment in my room either glowed or flashed with no means to turn them off.

So like i said, if you want a really good sleep... dont bother.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear guest,

We are sorry to hear that you did not have a relaxing stay with us. Based on your feedback we have looked into our timings of piped music and adjusted it accordingly to assure the night sleep of our valued guests is not been perceived as disturbance.

Thank you for your feedback.

Plymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

our bedroom was superb with views over the racecourse. the bathroom was stunning with huge corner bath walk in shower tv . walk in cupbourd for lugguge. however coffee maker didn work. although a very impressive hotel we found it ratgeher souless with little atmosphere. the main dining room was nothing special and the food average. drinks were very expensive. we didnt get to use the swimming pool as it was raining while we were there.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
AdemirHusagic, Manager at The Meydan Hotel, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We will try to work on improving these areas and as a result of your comments, we are now working on a coffee machine instruction card. It is unfortunate that you did not get to do a lot of things due to the weather but our hotel has a wide variety of activities available, starting from our infinity swimming pool where the view is fantastic, our Meydan Golf Club, Meydan IMAX theatre, which is the biggest screen in the Middle East and Asia today and many more. We hope you will be back to enjoy these next time.

Ademir Husagic

Been to The Meydan Hotel? Share your experiences!