“excellent hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Meydan Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Meydan Hotel to your Saves list
The Meydan Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Meydan Racecourse, Al Meydan Road | Nad Al Sheba, Dubai 9305, United Arab Emirates   |
Ranked #91 of 479 Hotels in Dubai

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

In August, which happened to be Ramadan, me and my wife decided to have buffet Iftar (breakfast at sunset) after a long, hot day of fasting. We arrived at the hotel half an hour early, valet parking was quick, and the staff at the reception invited us for a hotel tour. We explored every bit of the hotel, rooms, restaurants, spa, activities, etc and we even discussed the future plans of the hotel. The hotel is beautiful and modern and horse racing fans would certainly enjoy the stay.

When time came for buffet, we experienced service that I doubt any hotel around the world could offer. It is important to note that I was going through the early stages of a flu. I made this clear to the chef and kitchen staff in order to avoid cold drinks.

The chef recommended food to me that could boost my immune system which was already in the buffet. Then, the chef dissappeared for a few moment and came back with a special warm drink (milk, dates, spices, etc) and offered it to us for free.

The buffet is best described as something for everyone with a variety of local and international dishes and desserts. We felt at home dining on perfectly prepared and presented food.

Once we finished dining, we were approached by a doctor from the Hotel who did what you could expect from a clinic or hospital (measuring blood pressure, temperature, etc). He provided medical advice and gave me medicine to take with me (for free!!!!).

Would I go back? Of course!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I stayed here for two nights in October and was impressed with the exterior and the lobby. Service leaves a lot to be desired at the front desk as you just have to hoover over the 6 staff members present whilst only one other couple were checking in - not a great start I thought.
On arrival to the room I was impressed with the cleanliness and quickly turned off the AC - yes its set very low.
The first nights sleep we were woken around 3 am by one of the guests having a party with every few minutes knocking on their door and the deafening music became even louder then one of their 'friends' thought it funny to shout housekeeping up and down the corridor. I called reception who sent somebody up and within ten minutes the music had finished. (Night 1 disturbed sleep).
The next morning breakfast had a good mix and was of a good quality with tables in and outdoor. We visited the pool which only has around 12 loungers and an area where lounge cushions are placed - get there early if you want a lounger. On our second morning there were more towels on the loungers without actual guests! You wait an awful long time for the drink service at the pool bar so order before you are thirsty!
We found the pool water to be very dirty and grimy with birds dipping in to eat the bugs not what i expect from a 5* hotel at all.
We returned to our room at 3 pm to find the room not cleaned even though the sign was lit up from 11am to clean the room, we called when we were leaving at 5 pm and returned to a half effort with no amenity top ups, toilet rolls stocked etc.
The second night we were again woken up at around 4.30 am by women screaming in the corridor this time my husband went to investigate and it was two 18/19 year old's having a catfight. After saying a few Arabic words they apologised and shut up.
On check out we were not thanked for the visit or asked if we enjoyed our stay. Overall I think the service was very poor from the front desk and simply can't recommend the hotel for a relaxing weekend break as we were woken on both nights. It is a shame as the hotel looks beautiful and has great views.

The hotel has valet parking but can take a while to retrieve your car so bear this in mind.

Room Tip: All rooms race the racecourse
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Bournemouth
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Went here for breakfast & looking at the possibility of staying for a few days. Bkfast mgr was not very welcoming, although his staff particularly Jiseef (?) was great. Asked to look at a room, was asked to sit down whilst he could arrange this, after 15 minutes went back to the desk to then be told all rooms are booked and could not see one. How long could I have waited there before they finally decided to come over and inform me? Needless to say will not be coming back here. They need to sort out their staff as the hotel itself is good.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

We had stayed in the Atlantis on the Palm for 2 nights previously and were a little unimpressed by it "cheesiness". We were impressed right away by the Meydan. Upon arrival I had only a 200 d note to give to the taxi driver ho had little change. Without prompting the concierge took my note and broke it down into smaller fractions. He then took us through to the check in. After a very swift check in process we were shown our room. Wow! It was like the stuff of dreams. A rel grown ups room. Electric everything, tv in bath, coffee machine an this was just a regular room. After we had been in the room for 10 minute there was a ring at the door. One of the staff told us that we could be upgraded if we wanted. Although tempted to stay we took up their offer. Again the room was amazing with wonderful views of the course. This time the room ha been decked out with rise petals and an anniversary cake (a lovely touch). We ate in shiba both nights and the food was great. The shiba bar is also amazing. If visiting Dubai this place is a must to stay.

Room Tip: It isn't far from all he good places to visit. It's vey central unlike the Atlantis.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

I booked for a room in Al Maydan hotel to celebrate my anniversary. When I Artived the receptionist wasn't welcoming at all. When I finished the procedure to check in she told me " the elevator on you right" no one walk me to the room and I had to tell the bell boy to take my bag. She did not explain to me what kind of restaurant they have and what are the facilities they have at the hotel.

• Stayed October 2012
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel as part of a 50th birthday treat for my mum. My brother and I chose this hotel as we were very impressed with the photo's we saw on their website.
Upon check in, the receptionist was less then interested in serving us and said nothing about the hotel, breakfast, facilities, etc, just very keen to get the check in over and done with.
I entered the room only to be welcomed into a -25c freezer, the room was ice cold, I called down immedietely for someone to come and turn off the air con as I had a sick 2 yr old, who couldnt stay there. I CALLED 5 TIMES until 2 men came up, spent a good half an hour doing something and muttering in their language at the same time, Im sure they werent even sure of what they were doing. The problem still wasnt rectified, the time was 2am and I was still left with a very cold room. I called down again and complained until a gentleman came up, (Night Manager on the night of 9th Oct) this guy is a credit to this hotel, he was very apologetic, prompt and showed me 2 different rooms including a lovely suite and said, "The choice is yours madame" looks as though he really enjoys his job.
The hotel is beautiful, very clean, attention to detail and they have really thought of everything when it comes to making a guest feel at home.
My only disappointed is that you have to ask a good number of times before a requst is fulfilled.
We ordered food one afternoon by the pool, we suddenly had to leave as my baby was unwell, the food and drinks had come and left by the pool even when we were assured that they would be delivered to the room. After an hour, we called and asked where the food was?? seems that they picked it up from by the pool and bought it down, by this time of course, the food was stone cold and I called down to complain, they bought fresh plates of what we had ordered, only this time, the middle of the meat in my burger was RAW. Again, I called to compalin and requested for the meal to be weivered off the bill only to be told that, "No, this is not possible as we have brought the food down twice to you". Which was not true.
My credit goes to breakfast and the team, the gentleman standing in the lobby every evening and the nigerian gentleman, who opens the car door by the entrance, this gentleman was full of smiles, always meeting and greeting and very polite and courteous. The same goes for the pool boys..
As a hotelier myself, I was alittle disappointed with some parts of the hotel as I expected so much more but all in all, a perfect stay...
Thank you for all your hospitality...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Meydan Hotel? Share your experiences!