“Not A Good Stay... A very Budget hotel...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Citymax Bur Dubai

You added Citymax Bur Dubai to your Saves list
Citymax Bur Dubai
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kuwait St and Mankhool Rd, Al Mankhool | Bur Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates   |
Ranked #204 of 499 Hotels in Dubai
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Not A Good Stay... A very Budget hotel...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

The Hotel claims to be a 3 star hotel but I was somehow not convinced with the stay. I paid 4000/- for a night stay & stayed for 2 Nights.
- Even though room were vacant & they can see I was travelling with my baby still for 2hr early check-in they asked 150 AED additional.
- Room is very small like a pet house.
- Bed size is not comfortable enough to sleep with Baby, additional bedding is required. 2 ppl can manage somehow on the bed.
- No bathroom amenities apart from a Body shower gel which can be use as shampoo.
- AC does not give effective cooling.
- I asked for 1hr WiFi voucher & I had been asked to come at reception & purchase one.
- Hotel staff will keep shaking your hand for any small service they do for you in expectation of Tips.
Only good thing is location which is connected to a small super market & Metro.
Not a pleasant stay...!!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
CitymaxBD, General Manager at Citymax Bur Dubai, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Dear PrashanthGuptaIndia,

I read your comments on Trip Advisor dated the 29th of May 2013 with great interest. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience caused however I would like to mention a few facts:

First of all, it is a common practice in most cities around the world for hotels to charge an additional amount for an early arrival.

Secondly, I would also like to inform you that our room size is mentioned on our website www.citymaxhotels.com, booking.com and most other booking engine channels. We advertise our room size as 22sqm.

Thirdly, thank you for pointing out the fact that we provide body gel which can be utilized in three different ways. First of all as mentioned a body shower gel, shampoo and hand wash.

Fourth, wifi at this point in time is on a charged basis as mentioned in your note however we will be providing complimentary wifi service as of the 1st of October 2013.

I would like to thank you for bringing to my attention the AC issue you had in your room. Usually when guests inform us with this challenge during their stay, our engineering team will be able to sort this out for them within 30 minutes.

You mentioned that we are connected to a small supermarket and metro??? We are not connected to any supermarket nor are we connected to the metro. However, we are a 5-minute walk from a supermarket along the same street as ours and we are located around the corner from Burjuman Shopping Center. The metro station is roughly a 15-minute walk from the hotel location.

It is unfortunate that you felt you had an unpleasant stay and next time you are in Dubai, please come see us as I would like to make it up to you.

Best Regards,

Walter Knight

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

The hotel is about a 15 minute taxi ride from the airport. On arrival late at night, the lobby was very busy as there is a sports bar located there.
Check0in took a while as I had requested a non-smoking room and they told me they didn't have any left. I told them I needed one and, miraculously found one for me on the first floor.
The rooms are similar to a Travelodge style. Nothing fancy but clean and tidy. One disappointing thing. On the website I booked with it said free wifi but there is only free wi-fi in the lobby. There is quite a hefty charge for in the room wi-fi though cable internet is free.
The concierge was quite helpful and there is a cafe in the lobby serving decent coffee and snacks.
The nearest metro station on the main red line is about 15 minute walk away. There is another station on the green line nearby but I didn't go to the one.
Burj Khalifa is about 4 stops on the Red line from the hotel. Make sure you book tickets in advance!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
CitymaxBD, General Manager at Citymax Bur Dubai, responded to this review, June 2, 2013
Dear mrrfrost,

Thank you for your comments on May 28, 2013.

I certainly appreciate your honest feedback and I am happy to see that you enjoyed your stay. I would like to inform you that it is planned for us to offer free wifi throughout the whole hotel by 1st October 2013; therefore you should not face this in the future.

Thank you once more for your honest opinion and we look forward to seeing you upon your next visit to Dubai.

Jakarta, Indonesia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

When we arrived at the lobby, the lobby was packed with people. The lobby was little, there's a cafe, the hotel's restaurant, a chinese restaurant and a bar. Maybe because the lobby was small, the pick up point where people were waiting, and the only free wifi available. So many people were sitting, walked around, so it was pretty crazy. The reception quequed pretty long, and the procedures of check in was not fast either. Well, there were 3 receptionist and a cashier, but I guess its not enough. The hotel was pretty busy on daily basis. Everytime I came down to lobby it was always been packed of people and so did the restaurant during breakfast time.

The price comes exactly what you get, small room, small beds, small bathroom but all clean, no free wifi in the room, but you can pay if you want.

The bathroom was not so great, it was very small, and the shower only cover with glass but only half of it, so you can imagine the water goes everywhere when you take a shower, so yep. All soaking wet floor.

The breakfast foods were standard. We had 3 days breakfast and the menus just basically the same, sausage, potatoes (day 1, cut cube and fried, day 2, cut like chips and fried, day 3 cut like wedges and fried), salads without dressing, and eggs are the same (day 1 boiled, day 2 sunny side up, day 3 omellete). So yes, pretty boring.

The location is great. There's a small supermarket one block away, and another bigger one but 3 blocks away. Many restaurants within walking distance. Cost about 20 dirhams to Dubai mall by taxi and about 40 dirhams to Mall of Emirates. Can also see the burj khalifa from here.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear riki_wijaya,

Thank you for your honest comments and opinion on Trip Advisor dated the 23rd of May 2013.

You are quite right, the hotel is a busy place as you can imagine we have 691 rooms and taken about 250 to 300 check-ins per day which is equivalent to roughly 700 people per day.

I have noted your comments related to breakfast and have discussed this with our Chef who is looking at ways to improve our breakfast spread. However in saying this, one must agree that it is a decent spread of food for AED 40.

I certainly look forward to seeing you and your family on your next visit to Dubai.

Plymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Stayed here for a week over the 2011/12 New Year and found it to be more than enough for what we wanted. Frieandly and helpful staff with a nice selection in the buffet breakfast. Rooms were simple but clean providing everything we wanted as we tend to only use them for sleeping, speding most of our time seeing the sights. Pool was quite small and hogged by the mass of Russians ataying at the hotel.

Room Tip: All pretty much the same.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear L n R,

Thank you for your comments dated the 19th of May 2013.

I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit at Citymax Bur Dubai over the New Year period. I hope that you choose Citymax Bur Dubai upon your next visit to Dubai.

Thank you once more.

Paris, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here during the ATM travel fair. Hotel is a 2.5 star European standard hotel but does have a restaurant and bar in the hotel.

Rooms are shoe box with no space to hang clothes for those persons staying longer than 3 days, thank goodness I was traveling on my own without spouse as there were only 4 hangers. They were clean and bed fairly comfortable. Rooms were fairly noisy as doors slamming due to hotel taking groups of Russians and also a rugby competition during our stay lead to noisy breakfasts and not peaceful nights.

Breakfast is buffet, does not meet usual standards for health and hygiene, food is put on chillers but on stacking frames that raise the bowls and plates at least 15cm off the cold surface so negates the chiller. Yogurts, cold meats, cheese, fruit, milk, butter all at room temperature so at your risk and peril.

I travel a lot, if your on a very tight budget, you can stay here, but for a few more bucks spend you will find a better bargain in Dubai.

Staff were pleasant.

• Stayed May 2013
CitymaxBD, General Manager at Citymax Bur Dubai, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Dear Pro-Travel-Buyer,

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor dated the 11th of May 2013.

I would like to begin by informing you that the property is advertised as a 3 star hotel and it also mentions our room size as 22sqm unlike the 18sqm you would get in an Ibis which is advertised as a 2 star hotel. I would also like to mention that we have taken note on the shortage of coat hangers and can gladly inform you that we have taken a decision to increase the number of hangers from 4pcs to 8pcs. However I would like to add that we do provide additional hangers upon request.

After reading your comments related to your breakfast, I would like to inform you that we are well within international hygiene standards (HACCP) which currently indicates that food laid out will get spoiled after 4 hours. In our case, the food in the restaurant is turned every 30minutes due to the volume we get during our breakfast period.

Thank you once more for your comment on Trip Advisor.

Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

Citymax, Bur Dubai will give you all the comfort, style, jazz and wow when you are travelling on a "Indian Rupee" budget and it is funded by "Indian Rupee" earning, like I was. If you are earning in dollars/dirhams you would have other options in Dubai. But for business or family trip from India, Citymax offers the most optimum and is absolute value for money.

Rooms are clean, well maintained, bathrooms are a bit squeezy, but clean and comfortable once you close the door. Housekeeping will get the room tidied up every day, replenish your tea/coffee satchets. The rooms have cable internet connection which is free and reasonable speed gets slower towards the late evening.

Location is in the residential, more airy part of Dubai, Streets are good enough for long walks, and the place is not surrounded with the signature tall buildings like towards the more happening parts of Dubai. Best part is you have 2 supermarkets within 2 - 3 mins of walking. You can get your water, SIM cards, snacks from them. Water bottles inside the hotel I think are costlier by atleast 2 - 3 Dhs (that's 30-45 Rs extra, if you are counting in INR terms).

You have 2 metro stations if you walk for 7 - 8 mins. You get Al-Karama stn if you walk towards Sk. Zayed Road. You can take a 4.5Dhs ticket that will take you right up to Dubai Internet City for business or to Dubai Mall, Mall of the Emirates or Burj Khalifa for your family. The other metro stn is Al-Fahidiya if you walk towards Mankhool Street.

Taxis are costly, so if the group is small (like <4-5 persons) go for Metros, it is cheaper, faster, cleaner and with the best travelling view possible. The open bus (Big Bus, etc) are around 200Dhs, which is not something great and you can give it a miss. The hotel offers free bus rides to Jumierah beach and to Dubai Mall at fixed timings, its 1st come 1st served. This is best option if you are on a family trip.

Food is good in the buffet, the dal and curry preparations are Indian and tasty. You can try out the chicken recipe. But DONOT try something which you are not sure of, like "veal soup (search it out in Google or Wikis)". For lunch there is a very good Kerala thali (veg / non-veg) at Manhattan Hotel, just 1 mins walking from Citymax towards Mankhool Street. Do not go by the name of the hotel, the cost is 30Dhs with free coke or beer.

Use sunglasses and wear light clothing if on a holiday, but within decent limits, its an Islamic country. If you are on business/work, you have no choice, but use light colored shirts. It can get stuffy in Dubai and with all the smog, sometimes the afternoons are humid.

Overall good experience for all of us who visit Tripadvisor for our trip advise. Those of who are looking at spending above 1.50L INR bracket for 2-3 days, you always have the Jumeriah Beach, Armani or Atlantis to stay. For the rest of the world do not look beyond Citymax in terms of safety, comfort, jazzy style, good food, cleanliness and helpful staff.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the Kuwait Street, that you have a big window in the room which gives full view...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear acuser30,

Thank you for your detailed report on Trip Advisor about Citymax Bur Dubai.

It is always a pleasure to read factual positive comments about our products and services and we certainly look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Dubai.

RIYADH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Stayed in April 2013 and I am one completely satisfied customer.

First, the hotel offers excellent value for money. I paid AED 330 per night, including a Middle East weekend, and must say I got most bang for my buck. The rooms are very functional with well maintained bathrooms. I slept really well on all nights. The beds were especially cosy. No noise at all (I had taken a room facing inside of the building -- the receptionist will ask whether you want a quiet room or room with a view -- the latter will be road facing I assume). Complimentary tea, coffee and one bottle of water. The little fridge was empty though.

Secondly, the location ! As mentioned in so many reviews here, the location is unbeatable. Bur Juman mall, metro stations, shopping streets and a huge choice of restaurants are all within a few minutes (though if it is summer you may still have to take a cab). Taxis are available in plenty right outside the hotel.

Though the officially the lobby is small, it serves its purpose well as the numerous staff on duty make sure queues do not build up. So, if you have finished your business, you can quickly go to your room. If you want to sit around, there is plenty of seating available in the coffee house located at one end of the lobby.

Thirdly, here's the winner. I wanted to stay for an extra 4 hours after the official checkout time and was looking to a painful negotiation with the check-out staff. Surprise, surprise ! In my room, there was a letter signed by Walter Knight, the General Manager (hope I got the designation right) offering to provide late checkout for a very reasonable fee. Of course, I took up the offer. These guys have excellent systems that really work !

I deducted one star from my rating for one of area of improvement. The quality of food offered in the buffet breakfast could be better. Mr Knight, you need to taste the eggs on offer, and the sausages and Indian 'sambhar'. I did not feel like having a second helping, though usually these are items I like.

Otherwise, very well deserved 4 stars. I am recommending City Max to my friends and will be a repeat customer, No doubt.

Room Tip: Rooms with windows opening to inside of the building are completely quiet.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear L K,

Thank you for your truthful and positive comments related to your experience at Citymax Bur Dubai. I’m so pleased to see that you recognized our late departure options and appreciate what we are trying to do with our customers.

Your comments related to the breakfast have been well noted and our Chef is in the process of making a few changes which should improve your breakfast experience the next time you plan to pay us a visit.

Thank you once more for your positive comments and my staff and I look forward to receiving you during your next visit.

Walter Knight

Been to Citymax Bur Dubai? Share your experiences!