“Not worth the money” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Citymax Bur Dubai

You added Citymax Bur Dubai to your Saves list
Citymax Bur Dubai
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kuwait St and Mankhool Rd, Al Mankhool | Bur Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates   |
Ranked #189 of 486 Hotels in Dubai
San Diego, California
“Not worth the money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Check-in is chaotic and disorganized, as is check-out. Free internet is very slow, both wired and wireless. Rooms are clean and adequate. Breakfast is good. No hot water on my last day to shower with. Seems like the hotel caters mostly to Russian tourists.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
CitymaxBD, General Manager at Citymax Bur Dubai, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear PetePandit,

Thank you for the comments on Trip Advisor dated on the 12th of January 2013 related to the check in/check out service. As you noticed the hotel is a busy hotel and at times the Front Desk gets over powered and was really very busy. Due to your comments we are currently looking at ways to streamline the check in and check out services to become more efficient.

Similarly we have looked at the slow internet service which is provided in the lobby and coffee shop and are pleased to inform you that due to your comment we are installing additional routers to cope up with the high demand in these areas.

In all of our guest rooms there is a switch located on the outside by the bathroom door which indicates “hot water.” This switch is provided so that guests can turn on the hot water if they require and turn it off if not. Unfortunately some guests oversee the switch and therefore on a few occasions when this was brought to our attention by an inhouse guest, our engineering staff has gone to the rooms and found that this switch was not turned on. We are looking at ways to highlight this switch to draw guest attention to its purpose.

I apologize most sincerely and would like you to make contact with me on our next visit to Dubai as I would like the opportunity to show you a true experience of Citymax Bur Dubai.

Walter Knight

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Polish first
Mumbai
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

the hotel is a typical business "budget" hotel. During busy season, its not so budget afterall. But it is a no frill no nonsense hotel. breakfast is good, check in is swift. hotel room internet (wired) is very good. its a fairly large hotel so can get crowded at times.
the sports bar is a good option. didnt get to try the Indian cuisine.

on the down side; the room could be a bit more cleaner. parts of the room were wornout and should be maintained. I took a higher floor room (to avoid the disturbances) so got a room without a view. which is OK.
They could install a small wadrobe; its really missed ! cleaning depends upon the cleaning staff. one of the boys cleaning my room was very efficient and cordial (too bad on my part I didnt ask his name).

all in all a good business "budget" hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear gauravdkc,

Thank you for your positive comments on Trip Advisor dated the 8th of January 2013 which were well noted. I have addressed your concerns with our Housekeeping Department who is in the process of streamlining the services provided.

Thank you once more.

Regards,

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Stayed here on 2 separate occasions 5 months apart...

The hotel is huge; if I'm not wrong there are 100 rooms on each floor. Considering this factor their service was quite good even though it took a little while.

Rooms are clean although on the smaller side. Bathrooms are clean an well maintained.

Location wise it is spot on with great connectivity.

The in-house restaurant/bar is a great place to hang out with very reasonable rates and good food.

Rates vary over the period of the year and is cheaper than most hotels in Dubai. However, I feel they should be cheaper as as the rooms are just ok and slightly small. Also because being a 3* property and claiming to be a budget hotel.

But then again, maybe I stayed when it was peak season. So cant be sure.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear deepaks_2012,

Thank you so much your positive review on Trip Advisor.

We are glad to read that you have stayed with us on 2 separate occasions which tells us that you enjoyed the services provided by the hotel.

We truly value our repeat guests and we are looking forward to see you once again.

Please advise us on your next visit.

Regards,

london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We arrived on 31st December in the early hours of the morning. We were quickly checked in and was informed that we could go to breakfast asap. We went to our room first and were very pleased that it was clean and roomy. We had a tv and a mini fridge which was empty. I thought that this was a good idea, because i often have to take all the items out to use the fridge for personal use.
The breakfast was excellent with a variety of items to met all clientele.
The hotel leisure facilities were adequate even though we did not use them. The New Years events was published and distributed.
Location is really good with buses and subways near by. Buy the Dubai RTA travel card for cheaper travel.
I would recommend this hotel, because it is cheap and central to all the major activities and sights.,

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear delroy,

Thank you so much for your positive review on Trip Advisor.

It is always nice to read good comments such as yours which shows the true reflection of what Citymax Bur Dubai is.

Please advise us on your next visit to Dubai as we are certainly looking forward to meet you once again.

Liverpool
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

We checked into the hotel with no problems, the room was great, nice and clean, well presented and not too small (which we were worrying about after reading other reviews on here), but at no point did any staff member offer us some sort of map or inform us of the free shuttle bus to the beach which we thought was bad as we had never been to Dubai and had no clue of anywhere or how to get there. When we did ask for advice, certain staff members did not know much themselves so we pretty much had to work everything out ourselves.
The Russian lady on the tour desk was one of the most rude, unhelpful people we have come across in a very long time. We asked her to call the Burj Khalifa to make a reservation in the bar for us and she told us its better if we go to their desk in the Dubai mall. We advised her that we had done this and they told us our hotel can ring for us as they don't do the bar reservations (which other people had told us to do also) but she basically refused. Most probably because she would get no commission out of it and she was much more interested in serving the Russian customers, which there were plenty of.
We also encountered room service not turning up on our first night and after 1 hr 30 mins of waiting and 3 phone calls later, we were finally told that there was a problem in the kitchen. No sort of apology was given.
Other than that, it was a good room with a 10-15 min walk to the metro station. If you're looking for a nice room, cleaned well on a daily basis then this is it. If you want to be treated well and looked after then this isn't the place.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear redmouserag,

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor dated the 6th of January 2013. I would like to offer our most sincere apologies for the poor service which you experienced during your visit. I would like to inform you that we have addressed this issue with our Front Desk staff in particular the concierge who should have known better and could have attended to your request without directing you to the Tour Desk. With this in mind, I could comfortably tell you that you or any other guest will not experience the same in the future.

I would also like to add that I personally had a discussion with the tour desk representative and can assure you that should you come back to Dubai in the future you will notice a definite change.

Room service issue was slightly more complicated than expected. However, that should have been communicated directly to you.

We are currently in the process of training staff and have recently had a fair amount of new staff joining. This is not an excuse however I do believe that within the next few weeks most of the issues raised will not reoccur.

On your next visit to Dubai please do contact me and inform me that you are coming through as I would like the opportunity to make it up to you.

Cala'n Porter, Spain
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Having stayed here one year ago we decided to return as we had such a pleasant stay before

On check in Sarah was really helpful and allocated our rooms as booked

Our room was like a mortuary fridge the a/c unit was faulty and the guy from concierge who brought our cases said he would make reception aware of the problem, at 3am in the morning we went to bed as we had been traveling over 15 hours.
Woke up like an ice block again spoke to reception who would look into the problem and also made arrangements for the day of check out for transport and early morning wake up call.

Room was better after day out and after dinner went to bed as were stil jet lagged from previous day and was awoken at 5am with our early morning call...great.. But advised reception they were one day early so were really pleased and happy to say the least.

Last day at hotel went to bed at 9pm as to get up at 5am and was awoken at 3am by horrendous noise outside front of hotel cars hooting, people shouting, bikes revving up and after one hour decided to call the Duty Manager who said it was the hotel next door causing the problem , well that was a lie as I came down in the lift to see the commotion and there were crowds of drunk Russian tourists falling all over the place and the noise was in the reception and outside.

Duty manager then offered to move us to other room well that was great as we had to check out by 6am and to be honest in my eyes there was not much else he could do apart from make the General Manager aware of the situation in other words ..your leaving we do not care !!!!

Airport transfer is advertised by hotel minibus at 65 Dirhams per transfer but we ended up being transferred to the airport in a Private Jeep and charged 75 Dirhams for the pleasure.

I cannot believe in one year how such a nice property can change but saying that the quality of people that were falling all over the place just goes to show sell it cheap and you get that kind of person that has no respect for others.

Dubai is a wonderful place but I for one will never book a Citymax hotel lack of staff training, left hand not talking to right and definitely lots of issues in house that need addressing.

Room Tip: Try somewhere else if you dare to stay ask for quiet room not over street
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
CitymaxBD, General Manager at Citymax Bur Dubai, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear Paul S,

I would like to thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor and at the same time offer you my most sincere apology for your poor experience on your most recent stay. Just to bring to your notice that we have taken a look on the AC issues and have adjusted accordingly (thank you).

As for the miscommunication of the wake up call, I have addressed this with our operators to ensure that this will not happen again in the future. Unfortunately once in a while mistakes do happen and when dealing with a human element, unfortunately this tends to happen from time to time.

You mentioned you were "awoken at 3am by horrendous noise outside front of hotel cars hooting, people shouting, bikes revving up," as per the Duty Manager's statement he was quite correct. The Russian guests you encountered are tourists, none of them possess a car or motor bike in Dubai. However, they were returning from a party outside of the hotel. The car noise/bike noise was coming from guests leaving a night club from the hotel next door to us. Again, I just want to reiterate that this is not a common problem however I believe people were still in a party mood from New Year's.

Thank you very much for bringing to my attention the transportation issue and the amount you paid. I am in the process of investigating this and will certainly bbe rectified.

I would like to inform you that the management of the hotel has not changed in 2 years and therefore your poor experience at the hotel I believe was a one off and not a general practice in the hotel. I would like the opportunity to make this up to you as best we can, therefore please do contact me at walter.knight@citymaxhotels.com so that we can communicate further on the above.

Once more thank you for your comments, our most sincere apologies and we wish you and your family all the health, wealth and prosperity in 2013.

Durban, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

well, This is a great budget hotel. i stayed here for seven nights from the 15 to 22nd december. 15min away from the airport, 10min walk to the Al Karama Metro station, easly excessable. Apart from my plumbing issues that went on for about 3 days, a very dirty shower and i bet it still is. Room 668 because it was the same since day 1 till i left and bath fan extractor not working. i tried to get my room changed but never succeded.
Apart from that i had fun at this hotel. the staff was great, check in was not stressfull. If you had an early flight into Dubai and your checkin into the hotel is later on. they can keep your bags for you and you can beging your tour and complete the check in process at the agreed time. you will be charged if you choose do an early check in. Well The huddle sports bar & Grill in the hotel was just the place to be after giving your time touring the Emirates. live sports, live GOOD music and good food. they had accomodated for south africans also. they have a meal called Durban Curry lol and zulu sweet and spicy and variouse others. Breakfast was good i must say the yoghurt is indeed different. Thier are also other dining areas in the hotel. the pool area is awsome with music and a bar. The gym is also great. Wifi is free in the lobby, also ethernet connection points in the rooms. Well the emirates doesnt have the best television station, well i would expect anyone on holiday to be watching TV. apart from these minor things that can be corrected. IT WAS A GREAT HOTEL.

Room Tip: choose a room facing the Khalifa. if your not a smoker try not to be on a floor with smoking rooms...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Thokozani P,

I would like to thank you for your most positive review on Trip Advisor and at the same time apologize for the minor issues you found specially those mentioned on your room. Thank you for bringing this to my attention and I am in the process of correcting this. Therefore on your next visit I'm sure you will not encounter the same issue.

I'm glad to hear that youe enjoyed yourself in The Huddle Sports Bar and Grill whic has a South African element to it. Just for you to know the Bar Chef is a South African Zulu and the General Manager is a South African Mlungu.

On behalf of my team, I would like to wish you a prosperous 2013.

Walter Knight

Been to Citymax Bur Dubai? Share your experiences!