“Had to write this to inform the unaware........” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Byblos Hotel Dubai

You added Byblos Hotel Dubai to your Saves list
Byblos Hotel Dubai
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Al Barsha | P.O.Box 500234, Dubai, United Arab Emirates   |
Ranked #278 of 499 Hotels in Dubai
City of London
“Had to write this to inform the unaware........”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2011

The Byblos is marketed as a business class hotel. First impression was a very very disorganised front desk. it would have been comical except I was a paying guest. I should have realised the error of my ways when a Chinese resident was trying to ask for something in poor English, the receptionist just couldn't be bothered to try and understand his needs and practically ignored him whilst she did something else. My own check-in person (who was Russian) was so cold and matter of fact about things I thought I was in Russia!
Room decor was appropriate for the hotel class, but then I noticed I'd been given a smoking room that stank of stale cigarettes, when I spoke to the Russian receptionist to change rooms, she informed me that there are only 2 designated non smoking floors for the whole hotel (hotel has at least 16 floors) which I guess is a great ratio if you are a smoker, and I got the clear impression my Russian girl was saying I should start smoking......she begrudgingly offerred to send house-keeping to spray air freshner.....he came promptly was a nice kid, but he used some weapons grade fumicide spray or something that really iritated my throat, and guess what the windows don't open...
There was a constant banging and drilling going on somewhere nearby, very annoying.
Next thing, connecting to the internet was a nightmare, same Russian girl again, told me what to do but sternly warned me there was an hourly charge, fine I said, alas, it didn't work, you had to enter your room number which it promptly said didn't exist....so Russian girl said she would send up an 24hr internet voucher but, she warned me would cost AED100, fine I said, I just needed to do some work. 30 mins later I decided to go down to front desk to get it myself, where I had to sign for the crappy internet voucher before getting it, I thought I would mention the civil engineering work on-going in the room next door, to which Russian girl replied, Oh its ok they should be finished by 18.00 it their end of shift!!

I then asked for my passport back as I wanted to go out (passport is required to be scanned on arrival), however they were so disorganised when i checked in they said they would do it and return it later.....guess what I'm still waiting for it as I write this review.

My booking is room only so no breakfast included, anywhere else i've stayed would have been upgraded or comped for that at least.

Positives, clean room (apart from the stale cigarette smoke)

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
dubai
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2011

Thank god we dint stay there,,,infact we went to the restaurant THE DECK for drink and dinner.And there we had the worst experience ever , as I was invited for a party and it was till 11 pm ,,,at 11 :10 security asked us to leave in a very rude manner (i think the security needs more training),the best was after few minutes security, waiter and the chef from the kitchen was catching 2 of my freinds and throwing us out ,,its was funny because I have never seen chef and waiter doing this . It was really bad because we were not at fault ( we were not drunk at all ), the restaurant manager( an arabic girl ) who doesnt even know how to speak proper english was giving us explanatiion in her sign language .
The hotel has the worst security .
The restaurant manager needs to go to hotel school.
The chef and the waiter should join army rather then cooking in kitchen.
Dear GM,
Kindly be requested to watch the CC camera ( if in case your hotel have ) and see the way your staff behaved.It was really bad . Trust me they need to go back to hotel school .

This if for all the people who are thinking to stay or dine in the hotel ,,,I shall suggest to even stop even thinking about it.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Tehran, Iran
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2010

I stayed at the Byblos hotel for 6 nights in Nov 2010.
check in was friendly and speedy
Room Service was good
Room Designed very well,good Air Condition and lightings.
The Internet connection is too Expensive and disappointing ,
The Traditional English Bar is boring for me but better than nothing.
You should walk 10 min in dusty ways to Metro Station.
The Taxis doesn't known the Byblos hotel. You should notice them to take you to Tecom Area.
You should pay a lot of money for taxi because this hotel is to far from every where
The View is too bad; Just Under construction buildings.
the Pool is a fake Tank ( very small 2m X 5m, max Depth 1M)
Break Fast was Ok , Egg, Fruits , Sausage, Cereals , Cookies, Milk , Fruit Juice.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2010

A well appointed and modern hotel. The rooms are of a high standard, as is the bathroom - the only mild complaint was the rather cyclical water temperature in the shower. Nice touches like the electronic control panel.

I ate in the Italian - average to good quality but expensive, and I had room service, which was good value and flavour. and delivered quickly. Breakfast in the cafe on the 1st floor is pretty good.

There is a very small gym on the second floor. The trainer attached to the club spends all his time in there watching tv, which can be off putting.

The 'traditional British pub' is ghastly. Smoky, noisy, full of a rather brash clientele, Avoid like the plague, and head for the indoor/outdoor bar on the 1st floor.

Charging for internet access (15Dhs/hour or 100Dhs/24hr, both valid for 24hours) really annoys me. It should be free in a 1000Dhs a night hotel.

In December, the staff were Santa hats and the Christmas decorations go up. I'd rather they didn't bother in an Arabic country.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Midlands, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2010

I stayed at the Byblos hotel for three nights in late June 2010. The hotel is located in the new Dubai area, quite a good location for taxi based access to attractions such as Mall of the Emirates, Ski Dubai, The Marina, Madinat Jumeirah, Wild Wadi, Atlantis etc. The TECOM - Greens area is a quiet area with no immediate amenities, however a short taxi journey (AED10) will find you at the Greens Centre with a small selection of restaurants, pharmacy etc.
The hotel offers free valet parking and a friendly yet speedy check in. A new hotel, the rooms are modern yet comfortable with many modern electronic touches such as touch button "do not disturb" facility etc. Easy access high speed wireless Internet is charged at AED15 per hour. The rooms are excellent in almost every way, very much more 5* than 4*. The only minor issue that I could point out was that the sound of water running in the next room's shower could be heard through the walls - not a big issue unless your neighbour likes a shower at 2am...!
There is a massage spa, restaurant and 'English Pub' bar on site, although following some unsavoury "stomach-based after-effects" gained from eating a room service meal, I'm not sure I'd recommend sampling the food here. Dubai is full of amazing food opportunities however, and this is a good hotel, - stay here but eat elsewhere would be my advice.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Dubai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2010

The best thing in this hotel is the value for the room rate.
I was disappoint from the Internet connection, laundry, food.
was expensive!
And there was a lil problem in the toilet water, you never know if it's cold or hot.

I recommend to stay there without using any service from the hotel.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Paris
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2010

The hotel is walking distance to the Internet City Metro station. The staff is helpful and friendly, the rooms are well designed, large and clean. The pool has a decent size and there were hardly any people there, had it almost to myself. The Al Barsha/Tecom area, where the hotel is located, is not the hippest neighbourhood and has still some construction going on, but this didn't disturb the over all good impression I had. I will certainly stay there again. The hotel is suited for business travelers and leisure.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business

Been to Byblos Hotel Dubai? Share your experiences!