“wonderful staff” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 486 Hotels in Dubai
Ayr, United Kingdom
“wonderful staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Our seventh trip to Dubai and by far the best hotel we have stayed at, the residence is the smallest of the three parts to the Royal Mirage and very quiet beautiful pool area rooms that are second to none and staff that know your name and go above and beyond the call of duty to make your stay relaxing and wonderful. the Dinning room was lovely the chef on hand to make suggestions and Pravin in particular very helpful with wine suggestions. our only issue was eating at the beach bar and grill in the palace they have a bird scarer machine which is inaudible to most people but my 15 year old could hear it and we had to move inside but again the staff very very helpful and apologetic. cant wait to reurn

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
residenceandspa, Manager at Residence&Spa at One&Only Royal Mirage Dubai, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Guests,

Thank you so much for sharing your recent experience, and indeed delighted to read that you enjoyed our facilities and services provided by our team of dedicated members.

We value such feedback which is shared with all and look forward to your return visit in a not too distant future.

One&Only Royal Mirage Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

Myself and my dearest other half have just returned from a luxury 10 day holiday at the One and Only Residence and Spa, we went for a relaxing break and to celebrate our birthdays. The staff treat you like members of their family, this is the second time we have visited and certainly not the last, the attention to detail was second to none, each time we left our room on return it was made. The managers were great Gareth is an asset to the team, always polite and asking how we were. There are a lot of staff to mention, Nidhi was a great help and assisted us in booking our tours, another great asset to the team.
Noura is a very pleasant girl, who welcomed us at each sitting. There are too many lovely staff members to mention: deepak, ivan, Sajin the doorman was so pleasant waving us off and welcoming us back, i wish I could mention them all but i'm not as good as them at remembering names, they knew everyone.
If you want a relaxing holiday and pampering head for the One and Only, the grounds are awesome, you get your own piece of the beach, the pool is lovely nice and quiet, with the beach attendants bringing you fruit and water, ken is great, pleasant and smiling. I can't recommend this hotel enough. Already planning dates for our next trip.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

st ives
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

We have stayed at the Residence & Spa about 10 times and it is one of the best hotels we stay at in Dubai. The service is second to none, the staff are extremely friendly and go out of their way to make your stay memorable. The afternoon tea is amazing - you will need to go on a diet when you go home! All of the restaurants in the One and Only resort are fantastic, I cannot fault any of them and they offer varying price ranges and a wide variety of food to cater for all tastes. I would recommend the Residence for those who want a quiet holiday, away from it all.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

stralagh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

This is one of the best places I have ever stayed. The attention to detail is perfect but not overdone. We were looked after by a variety of staff with courtesy and attention with out intrusion. The room was tasteful and well appointed. I wont stay anywhere else in Dubai.

Swansea
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

This was our second visit this year and it did not disappoint. We fell in love with the Residence back in June and wondered whether going back would be the same or spoil the memory, however it was even better than before. This is the way to experience what it must be like to live like a Millionaire. The staff who look after your room are like your own personal butlers in the service they provide and always with a smile. On the first day by the pool the towels were on our sunbeds in the same place we had last June, they remembered where we preferred to sit. It is little details like this that makes the Residence stand out. We now say it is like going home and we come back to the UK for a break...... not an enjoyable one! We have booked to go back next June and if we can sneak another trip in before then we definately will. Quite simply this hotel is exceptional.

West Islip, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

When I first strolled through our room at the Residence & Spa I said to myself “This is just a Marriott with Arabian Nights icing.” There was the enormous dark wood wardrobe with a big screen television living inside. There were the fabric coated chairs. Dull tiles on the bathroom floor completed the Marriott picture. For the Arabian Nights icing we had a variety of Pier One overstock metal lamps, tube-shaped cushions on the sofa, a worn Persian rug hanging on the wall, and framed metal knick knacks with geometric patterns, all designed to give the impression that I was in some sheik’s harem awaiting rescue by Daniel Craig. ;) “They have some nerve” I said to myself through gritted teeth “charging these prices for a Marriott room”.

Despite the Marriott impersonation, My Dearest and I for the most part enjoyed our stay at the Royal Mirage Residence & Spa, and I recommend it with only a few reservations.

The staff make the difference. Most of them are polite and well trained at anticipating guest requests – at least routine ones. A day did not go by without a beach attendant eagerly offering to polish my sunglasses! However, English language skills were in short supply, and my requests for service were often misunderstood. People! Smiling lamely when I ask for something does not cut it: while I like to be smiled at, I like quality service even more! Since the Residence & Spa is the premier resort on the property, I would expect that it would have the most experienced staff. This did not always seem to be the case.

The center of activity at the Residence & Spa is the pool, which is surrounded by well spaced and comfortable loungers. Some of the loungers live in cabanas, with nice shade. The moment you arrive in the pool area an attendant greets you and offers a selection of loungers. Once you choose your lounger, the attendant wraps it in thick towels pulls it into direct or indirect sun as you prefer, and moves a table into a convenient spot within your reach. During my stay, the property seemed a bit empty, so there was always plenty of loungers and cabanas from which to choose, although if things were crowded I suspect there would be competition for the prime poolside real estate. You can order all manner of drinks at the pool, but no food. The no food rule is a bit inconvenient, but helps keep things classy: no need to watch, aghast, as some beached whale bites into one end of a hamburger only to have the ketchup-soaked all-beef-patty shoot out the other end onto his paramour. The pool attendants supply bowls of sorbet and fruit several times during the day.

The beach has several drawbacks. First, when you gaze out to sea, you are looking at the construction site of the Palm Jumeriah, which apparently is not finished. While sitting on the beach, I enjoyed an excellent view of a gravel mountain glistening in the sun. There were also fetching views of the immense Smolensk-drab apartment towers squatting together at the base of the Palm where it meets the mainland. Secondly the sand on the beach is densely packed and fine—almost like concrete silt, which perhaps reflects the offshore construction sites as Dubai builds more and more of itself by dumping ballast into the water. Thirdly, the water off the beach is brimming with luxury yachts, thundering race boats, jet skis, personal helicopters, and swarms of parachutists. One night a party boat moored off the beach playing popular music at an insane decibel level. If you want Robinson Crusoe isolation, go somewhere else.

Despite these drawbacks, the sun and heat on the beach were blissful and the beach attendants brought all the drinks I needed. The loungers were well spaced, so other beachgoers could not eavesdrop on my running commentary about their attire, girth, hair, and marital status. All the beach loungers are accompanied by cabanas into which you can retreat when the sun grows too intense. With plenty of room, my own cabana, and excellent beach service, I ignored the unfortunate views and thoroughly enjoyed myself lounging on the beach.

The Residence & Spa restaurant has both indoor and outdoor components with the latter being much nicer than the former. Lunch at the outdoor restaurant was a pleasure with a nice view across fountains and landscaped gardens to the beach. The lunch menu offered a range of salads, sandwiches, and Italian and Asian dishes. The salads were the best choice with heaps of fresh greens and not overdressed. The rest of the lunch menu was tired with a particularly uninspired list of entrees. Against my advice, my Dearest ordered the shrimp and chicken curry for lunch one day, and this was a mistake. I longed for a few more local dishes on the lunch menu, such as a mezze platter. The lunch service was friendly and attentive.

Dinner at the Residence & Spa restaurant was less satisfactory. First the menu was limited with only a handful of appetizer and entrée items. Secondly, these items were for the most part standard French dinner items with little creativity. There was nothing wrong with the seared foie gras, the steak frites, or the duck breast in a red wine reduction, but at this price point one expects a bit more imagination. Traditional French food seemed heavy after a day in the Dubai sun. Thirdly, service at dinner was at times clumsy and chaotic. No one could offer much guidance on choosing a wine and the answers to my questions about the menu options involved words but no content. Hint to the restaurant manager: asking diners whether everything is okay while you race by without even slowing down makes the insincerity of your question painfully obvious. The wine list was adequate but not very exciting.

While the Residence & Spa restaurant is billed as the pinnacle of dining at the three resorts that comprise the Royal Mirage, I enjoyed restaurants at the other two resorts more. I particularly recommend the Beach Bar & Grill with fresh seafood choices and a knowledgeable, well-trained staff. The option of dining at the other resorts on the property is great, but it seems sad that the Residence & Spa, which is the flagship resort, does not have the flagship restaurant. While the website announces that only Residence & Spa guests may dine at its restaurant, the materials handed to us when we arrived indicated that guests at the lower rent properties could dine at the Residence & Spa restaurant just by making a reservation. People! If I pay for exclusivity, I expect to receive it!

The bar, which is referred to as the Library, is an imposing room with a high ceiling, an impressive chandelier, and comfortable seating. It would be even more imposing if they replaced the tacky plastic trees with real ones. What were you thinking, people? How much would real trees cost? The Library is a pleasant spot for a pre or post dinner drink, but supervise the preparation of your poison carefully: I was served a martini with both lemon peel and olives adrift in it.

While the room layout and furnishings reminded me of a Marriott resort, there were many nice touches: lots and lots of fresh flowers, a fruit platter that was constantly refreshed, a Nespresso coffee maker (the basic model), Molton Brown toiletries, heaps of thick towels, plenty of water pressure in the shower, and no annoying signs instructing me to curtail my water or towel usage. There was plenty of closet space and thick wooden clothes hangars so lovely that I planned to steal them – at least until My Dearest reminded me of the penalties for theft in Dubai. Unfortunate cheap touches: a make-up mirror that was neither illuminated nor magnified, Home Depot quality bathroom fixtures, and a thin plastic toilet seat that adhered to me.

My Dearest suggests that a spa fitness center should be better equipped (apparently he required a medicine ball in excess of 3kg). He did enjoy his afternoon spa treatment, which he has only just now confessed to with all the usual excuses (he claims there was some discount). We will have to return so I can confirm the discount myself.

All in all, the Residence and Spa at the Royal Mirage has some flaws, especially at this price point. Still it is a lovely property, and I had a delightful time there.

A final point. The guest directory states that the housekeeping department will upon request supply guests with a copy of the Holy Quran. People, for the complete Marriott experience, you also need to offer the Book of Mormon!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
residenceandspa, General Manager at Residence&Spa at One&Only Royal Mirage Dubai, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to comment on our property and very much value your feedback, Indeed with only 48 keys and 1 villa within 65 acres of lush gardens stretching over one kilometer of private beach, the Residence & Spa has become a preferred address for many of our guests returning year after year seeking for a sunny and peaceful environment within the ever bustling city of Dubai. We are pleased to read that you had overall a very pleasant experience.

We will review all your detailed notes to improve wherever possible. I was sorry to read that our dining room was described as exclusive. This is a misunderstanding and apologise for such. With eight restaurants within the resort, the dining room is residential in feel and aims at serving comfortable cuisine and tend to focus first on guests of the Residence and of the Resort prior to considering outside city guests.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back. We will continuously strive at training our team of caring young professionals to deliver the all-important service visitors do expect and hope that a future visit will see that such has progressed.

Once again thank you for your valuable comments.

Olivier Louis
Managing Director
One&Only Royal Mirage, Dubai
One&Only The Palm, Dubai
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

This was our 7th time to the one and only Dubai but the 1st time at the Residence and it was well worth the wait, totally amazing, the service from the staff was exceptional and the hotel is like a world away from all the stresses of life. We will only be returning the the Residence in future..... can't wait to go back!!

One&Only Royal Mirage Team

Been to Residence&Spa at One&Only Royal Mirage Dubai? Share your experiences!