“Nice, clean hotel, not the best surrounds” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Novotel Deira City Centre

Save Saved
You added Novotel Deira City Centre to your Saves list
Novotel Deira City Centre
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8th street | Front of Deira City CentreMall, Dubai, United Arab Emirates   |
Ranked #185 of 474 hotels in Dubai
“Nice, clean hotel, not the best surrounds”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

A great hotel, very clean, great bathrooms, good for business travelers. Really good breakfast. Decent gym. I was here for work meetings, so it was fine. Otherwise, probably wouldn't recommend the location - view of a gigantic, ugly shopping mall, and not a tree in sight. But then, it is Dubai :)

• Stayed October 2012
HotelsDirector, Manager at Novotel Deira City Centre, responded to this review, March 9, 2013

We very much appreciate your positive comments regarding your stay.

I have shared your comments with the team, especially concerning the quality of the cleanness in general and the good quality of the breakfast services; so that they are aware of their contribution in helping to satisfy you and meet your expectations.

607 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Arabic first
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Check-in at 4 am after a delayed flight was a breeze, the man at the front desk was excellent so thank you very much.

Decent place, good cleanliness, excellent proximity to Deira City Centre mall and Dubai Metro (only across the street). It's sort of a small-ish business hotel with a decent pool and a small gym.

The gym weights don't really go heavy enough... 30 lbs are okay but could have gone up higher.

Breakfast was okay, perhaps more changes of variety would be nice.

The internet, oh the internet...that was horrible. It's 2013 and most hotels, especially business, now allow in-room complimentary wired or wireless internet access. Yes wired internet access is available indeed but why is there a charge? This meant that the small lobby got pretty busy as people scavenged for space for space. Please change this policy, it's definitely not that nice. The computers were a decent touch but lack of maintenance and with a lot of people unfamiliar with how to handle an iMac, easily became a mess so perhaps the introduction of a fixed system to them may help?

Also, most hotels I have been at in the past 3-4 years have now accepted that people now bring food into their rooms, some leave the minibar empty as a policy and you may request it to be stacked upon check-in (I'm talking about a 5* luxury hotel here not anything round the corner) as they notify you as most people now avoid that. Some even have gone as far as placing microwaves in the rooms. When I came down to the lobby to request to microwave something, they didn't allow it as outside food is not allowed. Again, update your policies, please.

The room is pretty decent, however the bed was pretty small and so proved uncomfortable. Also the double doors in the bathroom entry were an issue as they leave a space in the middle when shut so kill off the whole privacy factor required...very uncomfortable. I suggest placing some form of rubber in the middle if you please. The room also lacks a form of sound input. In some hotels this was solved by placing an alarm clock/radio with an AUX cable on a bedside table, in others, the TVs were capable of having such input. This hotel's TV is capable of HDMI so you can input it, just there is no possibility to change the TV input to actually play it, even though there is a speaker in the room other than the TV speaker which would have proved to make a decent sound system for music playback.

Generally it was a decent stay, it's just some edges need rounding and adjustments...quite a few.

Would I come back? Probably, if need be. But next time I'm in Dubai I don't think it'll be business so why stay here when you can stay at a beachfront resort unless the price cuts it?

Room Tip: Stay away from the mosque side if you don't wish to be waken up at 5 am for early morning prayer...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
HotelsDirector, Manager at Novotel Deira City Centre, responded to this review, March 3, 2013

We very much appreciate your positive comments regarding your stay.

I have shared your comments with the team, especially concerning the good quality of the hotel cleanness; so that they are aware of their contribution in helping to satisfy you and meet your expectations.

I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies, concerning the quality of internet services.

I would like you to rest assure that I am personally taking your remarks very seriously.

Islamabad, Pakistan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Stayed at Novotel Deira City Centre while visiting to attend a conference in Dubai. It was pre-booked for us and we were not sure what to expect. The location was very good, being close to the airport and right opposite the city centre mall. All forms of transport, taxis and metro could be managed easily and in a short time. The rooms were clean and the beds were a good comfortable sleep after a tiring day of workshops at the office. The breakfast had a variety of fresh fruits and juices. The staff was courteous and polite.
The television channel options were limited and could be improved. We were alittle surprised that at check-in they wanted us to leave a cash deposit as security. However after some argument they agreed to block the amount on our credit cards.
All in all a good alternative to other high end hotel chains.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

We very much appreciate your positive comments regarding your stay.

I have shared your comments with the team, especially concerning the quality of the cleanness in general and the costumer's services; so that they are aware of their contribution in helping to satisfy you and meet your expectations.

Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

This Hotel falls behind the Novotel Standard Hotel. The lobby is very bare and empty, not bright enough and does not blend to a Novotel Standard. Service is not as expected of the standards. Always had problem with the key card. Rooms are clean and tidy. No WiFi in the room, you need to go to Lobby for WiFi. And the speed is very dissapointing. Wifi in the room has become a basic needs of a Hotel, not having it, is like not having a bed in the room.

Check in and check out take too long. The bar at the lobby is little dissapointing in terms of service as we need to look for staff to get service even to ask for a beer. Overall, I just stayed, as I did not feel as I am in a Accor Hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
HotelsDirector, Manager at Novotel Deira City Centre, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your comment.

I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies, concerning the quality of services during the check in - check out and the services at the bar.

I would like you to rest assure that I am personally taking your remarks very seriously and that urgent corrective measures will be taken.

I hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

we arrived at ten past midnight only to be told our booking was for a single person, Noting that the room rate was the same for one person as it was for two people, I found it quite difficult to get it through the desk clerks head that an obvious error had been made and my wife and I would like to go to bed. This was achieved but only after I promised to pay separately for breakfast as she was not included. The final out come was that I was required to pay an additional 100 dirams per night for my wife to stay in the same room as me. When I did check out I was asked to pay for the breakfasts as well, however finally after another fifteen minutes debating the reasonining for the additional charge which them paid for the breakfasts the account was rounded down to the amount I assumed would be appropriate. PITY REALLY as it was a pleasant hotel, business men and women were the majority of the guests and the decor was excellent.

Room Tip: most rooms viewed either north or south so the views are rather uninspiring.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelsDirector, Manager at Novotel Deira City Centre, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your comment regarding your stay.

I have shared your comments with the team, especially concerning the quality of customers services at the reception.

Allow me to express my sincerest apologies, concerning your check in.

Morristown, New Jersey, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel before without incident, it has always been clean, friendly staff, and an easy location.
After this stay I will never book here again, the quality has slipped considerably both in cleanliness and staffing.
The bathroom appears filthy, I'm not sure if it is dried grime or leftover grout but the tiling is terribly stained the int the tub and WC. I did not walk around barefoot in the room at all, even buying plastic flip flops to wear in the shower. the bed was very lumpy and offered no support so it was difficult to sleep. some days the trash bins were emptied, other days they were not.
I arrived on a Friday afternoon, not being able to take advantage of any early check-in which was fine. As I was dressing for work Saturday morning, yes the day after I arrived, a staff member walked in room at 9:00am, I never heard him knock if he did, and said he was there to check to see if I had any laundry that I needed sent out. first thing in the morning the day after I checked in?? In all my experiences staying in hotels this was a first. Needless to say this was upsetting to me that someone would walk in my room unannounced while I was getting ready for work. Later in the week, I had caught a bad cold and came back to the hotel mid-day for a nap before having to go back to work later in the day. I placed the "do not disturb" sign on my door and went to sleep, a short while later the telephone rang in the room, it was room service saying they had seen the do not disturb sign but wanted to check if I needed anything for the minibar.
On top of it, the lady working the reception desk when I checked in was very rude to me. Overall it was a disappointing stay and I would not recommend it to my worst enemy as a worthy hotel for business or leisure.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
HotelsDirector, Manager at Novotel Deira City Centre, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your comment.

I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies concerning the quality of service in terms of cleanliness and staffing.

I would like to rest assure you that I am personally taking your remarks very seriously and that urgent corrective measures will be taken.

Cairo, Egypt
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Location, proximity to everything, the famous Deira city centre shopping mall is across the street. Taxis are available all the time and also the hotel limousine is not expensive. Turkish restaurant nesxt door is excellent. Tea, coffee and kettle available in room. Rooms are clean, staff are cooperative.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

We very much appreciate your positive comments regarding your stay.

I have shared your comments with the team, especially concerning the good quality of customers services; so that they are aware of their contribution in helping to satisfy you and meet your expectations.

Email: H6481-GM@accor.com

Been to Novotel Deira City Centre? Share your experiences!