“Coming in Colder Months” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Novotel Deira City Centre

Save Saved
You added Novotel Deira City Centre to your Saves list
Novotel Deira City Centre
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8th street | Front of Deira City CentreMall, Dubai, United Arab Emirates   |
Ranked #185 of 474 hotels in Dubai
Melbourne
“Coming in Colder Months”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Our plane arrived at approximately midnight. Luckily we were on Europe time so weren't tired, but had just endured a six hour flight. Customs took a long time, of course, and even the taxi line was quite long - but efficient.
We arrived at the Novotel at around 1:30am. There was no shortage of people around! Our bags were immediately hauled off to be delivered to our room, the Vertigo bar was alive with noise, people were sitting in the lobby getting the free internet and there were other people checking in. Our room was just being finished and we all collapsed! Within half an hour, we were comfortably asleep.
They were great with organising our wake-up call at 9:30am - we were afraid we wouldn't make it to breakfast! It didn't disturb us, either, because we had already woken up. Breakfast had a wide range of delicious items and was very extensive.
The wifi in the lobby was free but a little bit unreliable. There was a great range of restaurants; bistro, buffet, bar, cafe. Unfortunately, we did not get to enjoy the wonderful pool as much as we would've if it was better weather! We stayed during an unusually cold Dubai Winter, thinking it would not be as hot as our previous stay in September (both times as stopovers) but not as cold as in Europe. Unfortunately, it was windy and low twenties, so the pool was freezing! However, we still had some swimming time, slowly adjusting to the temperature. There was also a great paddling mini kids pool with fountains. Beautiful view of a mosque from our window, absolutely lovely. Comfortable bath. No faults, except for the unreliable internet! Staff were friendly and helpful - one told us all about the metro, gave us a map and even made calls for us to find out if things we wanted to visit were open! We had a fantastic stay!
On our trip we stayed with Novotel a lot. Some are absolutely amazing. No, most are absolutely amazing! This was definitely one of them.
I'll also add that there are extremely comfy chairs by the pool (I almost went to sleep - still jetlagged!) and a great fitness centre!
It's near the airport, which was good because we were just stopping over and had also been to Dubai before (stayed elsewhere) so had seen most of the sights (Burj Khalifa, Atlantis, etc.). Dubai is the main stopover for getting to Europe from Australia, and (with the kids and all) we prefer to stay a few nights than connect immediately. The Novotel is also right near Deira City Centre metro station.
Definitely recommend. Thanks Novotel.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a view of the mosque (which is great because you can hear the prayer calls so loudly...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
HotelsDirector, Manager at Novotel Deira City Centre, responded to this review, January 16, 2013

We very much appreciate your positive comments regarding your stay.

I have shared your comments with the team; so that they are aware of their contribution in helping to satisfy you and meet your expectations.

606 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Arabic first
Perth,West Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Stayed here on the way home to Aust. via Europe, Mid-Jan. Wanted a stop over. It's good because as Novotel, it's clean, polished, you know what to expect.

Stayed with 2 young children. Room size is ok, but with a family you would NOT want any smaller. Bathroom is compact, but clean and with a bath. View's aren't anything exciting (Eg. Shopping Centre Roof)

But really, you're getting a cheaper hotel, that's clean and newer, and it's close to the airport (About 7-10 mins and cheap) plus larger shopping centre right opposite.

Big shopping centre literally across the (busy) road, so takes care of your basic needs, and still has clothes, food, electronics shops, etc. Can easy kill several hours looking around if you're bored, it's about 2-3 stories, and busy most of the time.

For a day or two stop over it's good, especially if you've been through Dubai before... If you're still wanting to check out the major sites of Dubai, like the Mall of Emirates, Atlantis, etc,etc then remember this hotel is some distance from the "action" so be prepared for some long taxi rides (especially in peak traffic). Stay closer if you want to check out the sites of Dubai.

However for us if was fine, clean, breakfast is more than sufficient, taxis easy to get, large shopping centre across the road very handy, a good hotel for a stop over.

Pool is nice, plus a kids wading pool. Agree with other reviewer... When it's cooler weather, the shadows come over early, but you can still relax in the pool area without a swim and order drinks/food and laze around the lounges.

Would stay again with family as a stop-over to break up a long flight.

Room Tip: Pick a higher room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

We very much appreciate your positive comments regarding your stay.

I have shared your comments with the team, especially concerning the good quality of the breakfast and the general condition of the hotel cleanness; so that they are aware of their contribution in helping to satisfy you and meet your expectations.

Belgrade, Serbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I ve been there more than 15 times with my family (everytime when my husband had to come to Dubai in nearby headoffice), and almost every time it was more than nice. Location is maybe not as perfect as it would be in some other parts of Dubai, but knowing that cab is cheap and that there is a metro station two minutes by foot, it is not so bad.It is not more than 10 minutes from the airport, so it is great place if you are coming just for one or two days.Also there is Deira city centre shopping mall on the opposite side of the street, with almost everything you need on daily base.Hotel is refurbished, with nice, stylish and clean rooms. Breakfast is good, stuff friendly and smiley. Swimmingpool maybe not on the best position (shadow comes early). Point is that you get for what you pay- for the price and location you dont expect extra luxury hotel, but you get more than you need.The only bad things are that there is no wifi in the rooms (just cable internet), only in the lobby and that check out could take some time...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
HotelsDirector, Manager at Novotel Deira City Centre, responded to this review, January 13, 2013

We very much appreciate your positive comments regarding your stay.

I have shared your comments with the team, especially the good quality of the customers services; so that they are aware of their contribution in helping to satisfy you and meet your expectations.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I had a late night arrival at the Dubai airport, so I decided to stay at a hotel close to the airport for 1 night only before transferring to Sofitel hotel the next day. After a quick, cheap taxi ride, I arrived at the Novotel hotel Deira Center around 2:30AM. I previously made the booking via priceline.com, and sent the hotel the confirmation weeks before checking in including my request for a non-smoking room. However, upon checkin, the reception stated that there were only smoking rooms available. After disputing with them about my requested room type, they "miraculously" found a non-smoking room. Just when I thought that I was ready to check in, the hotel reception said that I did not pay for the hotel room in advance. I was so angry and tired at the same time. I had to pull out my laptop to show them proof that priceline already charged me for this room, my bank statement where the money came out of my checking account, and my prior e-mail to the hotel that showed my confirmation. It turned out that the hotel forgot to charge priceline's credit card for my room. To make matters worse, they wanted me to sign my name on priceline's credit card receipt. I insisted that I would not do such a thing because it is not my credit card. I never had to do this at any other hotel whenever I used priceline, and I was not about to do it there. The reception stated that their bank requires a signature, but I told him that I still was not about to sign my name on a credit card that is not mine unless priceline gave me permission to do so. The hotel staff member relented, and I was finally able to check into my room. The room was average with free wifi, but the bed was really hard. If I was not already so tired from the long flight, I probably would not have been able to sleep on it. The best thing about the hotel is the location, which is right across from the Deira Mall, the Carrefour supermarket, and about a 5 minute walk to the Deira train station. The next time I come back to Dubai, I will stay in another airport hotel instead.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to share your comment.

I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies, concerning the quality of services during your check in.

I would like you to rest assure that I am personally taking your remarks very seriously and that urgent corrective measures will be taken.

I hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

perth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

It should be a 3 star hotel, but for no given reason I reckon star ratings in Dubai are overrated.

Stayed 2 nights with wife and two young children. Really close to airport, taxis are cheap and 5 dollars a ride is a very welcoming price. In front of a shopping centre, which makes your life easier regarding food, foreign exchange and the metro station across from it.

Therefore...
Good: location, price, room size
Bad: sofa bed for two is a glorified single size, if older kids, don't try it.
Staff was very friendly except from when a late chack out was requested... Felt like I was trying to scam them, eyebrows raised and request ignored by manager on duty.

It's a Novotel, hence it's a safe pick... Just like entering a Mc Donalds in India...you know what you get with no risk whatsoever.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
HotelsDirector, Manager at Novotel Deira City Centre, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
We very much appreciate your positive comments regarding your stay.

I have shared your comments with the team, especially concerning the quality of the customers services; so that they are aware of their contribution in helping to satisfy you and meet your expectations.

Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies, concerning your experience during the check out.

Geneva, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

The hotel is in a nice area. Close enough to the airport and in the "old" part of town - if one can say that about Dubai - and the Creek where a bit od middle oriental feel can be experienced.

Room are clean, the hotel is new and well kept. Staff professional. Breakfast average no much choise.

I think all and all the rooms are overprized but maybe that's is Dubai.

Room Tip: High floors.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

We very much appreciate your positive comments regarding your stay.

I have shared your comments with the team, regarding the cleaness of the room and the good quality of the customers services so that they are aware of their contribution in helping to satisfy you and meet your expectations.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is very close to the airport approximately 5-10 minutes drive. It cost me 30 dirhams airport to hotel and 11 dirhams hotel to airport by taxi, though I didn't understand why return trip was lower.

I had travelled with my wife, 3yr and 1 yr old sons. The room was clean, but the size was rather small, more suited for a business traveller. It had a sofa bed and the hotel provided us with a baby cot and a stroller at no extra charge. I highly recommend a room with city view.

The hotel is literally two minutes walk from City Centre Mall and about 5 minutes from the Dubai Metro, which was very convenient for us.

The breakfast was good, but they could do with more waiting staff during busy periods.

I highly recommend this hotel for it's convenient location, great views, friendly staff and clean rooms. They could improve on the breakfast service and avail wi-fi in the rooms.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
HotelsDirector, Manager at Novotel Deira City Centre, responded to this review, December 30, 2012

We very much appreciate your positive comments regarding your stay.

I have shared your comments with the team, in particular with the HK about the cleanness; so that they are aware of their contribution in helping to satisfy you and meet your expectations.

Hotels Director

Been to Novotel Deira City Centre? Share your experiences!