“THE THINGS I WISH I KNEW.... Atlantis the Palm” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Half Board Offer
Ranked #52 of 499 Hotels in Dubai
London, United Kingdom
“THE THINGS I WISH I KNEW.... Atlantis the Palm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

Before we went to Atlantis, I was reading lots of reviews on here. I am going to write a review which states everything I am glad I read before I went, and that states information I wish I had known before I went.

FIRSTLY SOME RECOMMENDATIONS: -

Go onto Emirates website and SIGN UP for a Skywards card. This is FREE and it will entitle you to FREE wi-fi at Atlantis (which would cost you a hefty £20 a day otherwise) AND it gets you 15% off food and drink at most of their restaurants. You will not actually receive the CARD, so be sure to log in to your emirates account and print a copy of your card off onto paper. This works just as well as the real thing.

If you can, GET A HALF BOARD DEAL. This was fantastic. The food at Atlantis is expensive otherwise. (approx £60 for breakfast for 2 and approx £80 for dinner for 2 - in the less posh restaurants). We had a wide range of restaurants to visit, including one of the restaurants at the water park! Also, it will take you 10 minutes to get off the palm in a taxi, so going out for a meal everynight may not be ideal for everyone.

You get FREE unlimited water park access (Aquaventure) and free unlimited Aquarium access. (Make sure you visit these places, especially as they are free!). The water park was great fun, and we aren't water park people. Definitely something for everyone!

Ask for 'ATLANTIS WATER' when ordering water out for a meal. If not they will bring you VITTEL water which costs a lot more. A big bottle of Atlantis Water is approx £3. You will get 15% off this if you have a skywards card (or a printed out copy of your card).

Atlantis has won best family hotel for 2014. It is very much a family hotel. We went as a young couple and we love kids so it wasn't a problem for us. Remember, wherever kids are they always behave the same - they can't tell that they are in a posh 5* hotel.

We loved 'La Brasserie' Restaurant. It seems to be slightly forgotten about which makes it less busy than some. The food is AMAZING and it is included in the half board (you get a 3 course meal, and pay for your drinks).

There are FREE Shuttle buses to and from 4 of the malls. We used it once for Dubai Mall and once for Mall of the Emirates. They aren't particularly lovely but are fine as it saves you paying for 1 or both of your trips. Also, there can be lots of traffic around the malls which you would be paying for in a taxi. This way even if it takes an hour to get to a mall, it is still free!

Yes alcohol can be expensive here however I had a Diet Coke with my dinner at a cost of approx £3 (not too disimilar to what we pay in England) and again you will get 15% off that with a printed out Skywayrds card (or the real thing if you have it).

POSITIVES: -

The hotel is very grand, and it has been very well done. Everywhere you look it has been built beautifully.

The cleanliness is amazing. They are always cleaning the marble floors and our room was kept very clean. House keeping is very good, and they come round twice a day. (The 2nd time we usually just asked for more water as we would be in the room at this time).

You do get free water everyday, and can ask for as much as you like. You do however, have to pay for it if you decide you want bottled water at a meal in a restaurant.

Their complimentary products i.e. Shampoos etc are really nice! Make use of them.

Two pools. One main pool and one activity pool/ideal for the kids.

Great kids playground area.

Lots of sunbeds around the pools and on the beach, you should'nt have trouble finding some.

So many clean towels for you to use. You just pop them in the TOWEL bins after you have used them.

We were given FREE ice pops on the beach on 2 occasions. Also on 1 occasion they came round with cucumber for my eyes. A nice touch considering how much you pay to stay here.

NEGATIVES: -

In the sea on the beach, there were some Jellyfish near the front, so I'm not sure I would want my youngsters in the sea (however so many children were in there, so maybe I'm just a worrier!). There was however signs to say what fish etc have been spotted in the sea.

Because of the size of the hotel, there were lots of people. Within this lots of people were lots of different cultures, manners and morals. We found that there were children sticking their hands in the sweet buffet, LOTS of people didn't say thank you or please (even if they couldn't speak English, a smile would have been enough), people pushing infront of the lift queue even though we had been waiting before them. This however is NOT down to anything Atlantis is doing wrong, and you will find this wherever you go on holiday. The reason we noticed it more is due to the large scale of the hotel meaning lots more people.

The breakfast restaurants are both buffets. There is lots of range but they can be very busy in the mornings. We went at around 8.30-9.30 every morning and it was definitely quieter than if you were to go at 10.30am.

Maybe a bit far out for some people that like to go to the malls. Mall of the Emirates was 15 mins away (which was fine), and Dubai Mall was 30 mins away. This can be quite far if you don't have half board and want to go a mall everynight for dinner.

OVERALL: -

Our time was great and we are glad we went. We will probably return when we have children and not again as a couple. We were treated very well by all members of the staff. It made us realise how polite we are and maybe we overuse our please's and thank you's!

Room Tip: Palm View room is absolutely STUNNING. Like nothing you have ever seen before.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Serge_Zaalof, President and Managing Director at Atlantis, The Palm, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Atlantis, The Palm.

I am very happy to read you had a great stay with us. Your positive comments on the services that our colleagues had rendered during your stay is highly appreciated. I will not miss to share your feedback to our colleagues for them to continually deliver in giving the best experience to our guests during their stay with us.

We sincerely hope to welcome you back again at Atlantis, The Palm.

President and Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,004)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

This hotel is brilliant. The food is excellent and the facilities are great. The pool was a bit cold for my liking but it was beautiful and plenty of sunbeds. Staff helpful and place has a buzzing atmosphere. When we went out to downtown Dubai, we couldn't wait to get back to the resort. The Alochol is expensive but this is the whole of Dubai. I am really not sure what there is not to like.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Virgin Holidays

Dear Guest,

I am delighted to read that you had a great experience with us. I sincerely appreciate your positive comments about our facilities and colleagues.

Thank you for recommending us on TripAdvisor and we look forward to welcome you back in Atlantis, The Palm.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

I booked the Atlantis for a surprise birthday treat for my husband and was not disappointed. The hotel was very prompt at replying to my e-mails prior to going which made me confident that even though this was a big hotel on a grand scale that even me, the little person, would have a voice. When we arrived we were a bit overwhelmed at the amazing service, as our bags were transported from the car, the car whisked away and we were escorted to the reception. At check in, my husband was wished a happy birthday by Michelle on the reception desk and told a special something would be brought up, nice touch! We waited about 10 minutes for our bags to arrive, then off we went! First to the royal pool, then the pirates play area. Went for a relaxing walk along the beach followed by a quick change, a birthday cake arrived in the room and then dinner at La brasserie for which, we had food vouchers. The staff were great at La brasserie, very attentive, as a birthday cake was presented at the end of the meal, this we did not expect! We enjoyed our meal and the service was excellent!! After dinner, we went to The Lost Chambers Aquarium which was nice and relaxing before calling it a night. The room for a family of four was a great size, very clean and we had an amazing view on the palm side, 17 floors up, we all loved it! The next day we went for breakfast at the kaleidoscope which is mainly a buffet with lots of choice. We checked out early, (check out is 12 noon) left our bags in storage with the bellmen, then we spent most of the day at Aquaventure waterpark which is great for all ages and my 8 year old son went on the leap of faith, twice! After a great day, we reluctantly collected our bags and promised to return....soon! We must say, Michelle on the reception is a credit to the Atlantis. Every time I approached the desk, I was fortunate to be greeted and helped by her and her welcoming smile.

Room Tip: Lots more to see on the palm side and the higher up the better.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that my colleagues ensured that your husband's birthday was celebrated in style. I will not miss to share your positive comments to the whole team to encourage them to continually exceed the expectations of our guests.

I sincerely thank you for choosing Atlantis, The Palm as your preferred holiday destination and we all look forward to welcome you and your family again very soon.

Taunton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Atlantis during a stopover of 3 days on our way to Australia, it is the best hotel we have ever stayed in. Ask for a room that is as high as possible (we were on the 12th floor) and the view is wonderful. We book half board through Virgin (you can't book half board directly with the hotel). The rooms are spacious and if you are on the palm side you can see most of the city and the palm. The food was great, there would be something for everyone even the fussy eaters. The water park is fantastic and free entry is included with your stay. The lost chambers (the aquarium) is also included. A couple of extra things: If you get a lady taxi from the airport these are more expensive, they put you in one of these if you have a female in your party but I think you can ask for a normal one. The red bus hop on hop off your is great way to see the city. Our stay was during Ramadan which meant all restaurants in the city close during the day. You must not eat or smoke in public areas during this time. We saw a tourist get asked politely to put out their cigarette when outside the mall. I believe if you are travelling to another county to experience the culture you should be aware and respect their views and beliefs. We would defiantly go back (when we can afford it). :)

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Atlantis, The Palm.

I am very happy to read your positive feedback on your stay with us and that you enjoyed your half board promotion benefits.

Your positive comments on our facilities, hotel room, variety of food, Lost Chambers and Aquaventure will be shared to the head of the departments to personally congratulate the colleagues who made your stay enjoyable.

We sincerely hope to welcome you back again at Atlantis, The Palm.

Quierschied, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

We didn't stay in the Atlantis The Palm, but I booked Afternoon Tea in the Levantine Bar for me and my mum. By showing our booking confirmation we had the chance to have a look around the impressive hotel before we went to the Levantine Bar. The High Tea took place on a lovely oriental terrace and the Arabic tea as well as the canapés were very delicious for a great price of only 99 AED per person. When I booked by e-mail I mentioned that it would be my mum's 70th birthday and so my mum was surprised by all the waiters who gave her a birthday cake with candles and sang happy birthday to her. This was such a lovely and thoughtful thing to do and made my mum feel very special. She certainly won't forget the lovely afternoon we had in the Levantine Bar and we would definitely go there again. Special thanks also to Kader, a very nice and attentive waiter who did his very best to make us feel welcome.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review on TripAdvisor and choosing Levantine as your destination place to celebrate your mother's birthday.

I am thankful to read of your positive comments regarding your dining experience in Levantine and especially the services rendered to you by Kader.

I thank you for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you again at Atlantis, The Palm.

Wales , UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

We had a 4 night break in the Atlantis Palm , Dubai in early March .We flew with British Airways and the deal included half board . In a nutshell it was an excellent hotel /resort and a wonderful holiday . There was a slight hiccup which to be honest could have been avoided if we'd read the small print but no damage done with a little quick thinking . To get the minor negative we mentioned out of the way first . We flew overnight from Heathrow to get the best of the first day in the hotel . We arrived at the reception at 8:45am , weary but excited and very impressed by our new home for the next few days . Staff were very polite and helpful . Our details were checked and all was going well until the bombshell was dropped . Although you can check in early as you like ,you are highly unlikely to get your room keys until 3pm . Apparently this is in the small print (who reads that eh !!! ) .As you can imagine we were straight off a long train journey and long flight so a nice cat nap on a 5 star pillow was really needed . A bit dejected we headed for a cafe and had coffee and a cake watching in wonder at the fish swimming by the huge aquarium window and pondered our plight . Still dressed in our crumpled travelling clothes,we decided to approach the bell captain and he was very helpful . We showed us to our luggage and we took more suitable holiday attire and essentials from our cases which were under his charge .He gave us a changing room and we were all set for the pool , the Dubai sun and 35C heat .Catnaps and cocktails ensued and the holiday mood returned immediately . We eventually got our room at 2:30pm and reflected on our hiccup with a no harm done attitude .Hiccups out of the way ,now the good bits .We had a water park view room from our balcony in the east tower on the 10th floor . Below us was the enormous aquarium pool and out and beyond in the haze was the Burj Al Arab and Burj Kalifah tower . The room was very light & spacious , very comfortable and really felt like it was in a 5 star hotel . Plenty of seating , large table , flat screen tv , loads of draw space and a big wardrobe . Large bathroom , separate shower and separate loo & 240V plugs and hairdryer.We had a fridge with the usual snacks & drinks but plenty of small bottles of water which were complimentary . Well worth the wait indeed . We took a celebratory glass of wine on our seats on the balcony and went out to take in the splendor . Splendor is an understatement for the Atlantis Palm , its very impressive , opulent without being brash and over the top . Fantastically clean and a lovely atmosphere and environment to be for a few days . Down each Avenue are shops , restaurants , there's a nightclub , kids club . The Spa was down the west Avenue and all around you are sculptures , fine paintings and wonderful decoration and architecture .Outside and down the steps from the lobby is the large Royal Pool . There is The Shore bar and restaurant there and plenty of sunbeds . The Shore was great and we had afternoon drinks & snacks there once or twice . There are lifeguards everywhere and loads of staff buzzing about and all seemed very willing to please . Our meal basis for our holiday was half board and it was great for us . At check in we were handed our vouchers for our stay . One voucher per person per meal taken . Mostly we used our vouchers for evening meal but we used them one afternoon as well, as they are flexible. Breakfast is included anyway so you just give your room number .We tried the Saffron for our first evening meal on the west tower . Very spacious buffet style . Excellent food , huge variety, but we found it a little too big and busy . We preferred the evening setting at Kaleidoscope in the east tower . Same quality but slightly smaller and the feel was a little more intimate . We took breakfast here also during our stay and judging by the expanding waistline , the food was excellent . A few evening drinks were taken in BarAzuro and the open air chill zone called Nasimi Beach watching the Dubai skyline in the night sky.. We also used the bar adjacent to Nasimi Beach where the sofas were really comfy. We spent our first and second day in the resort . On our second day we headed to the water park . Free entry for hotel residents . Go to the window to get your wrist band and get your complimentary towels from the cabanas ( small huts ) . No problems getting sunbeds at all . We paid for a locker (£7 whole day ) and dropped some valuables there for the day . Camera , cash etc . As the locker is right by the park entrance ,we found it a pain to go back n forth for stuff . On our second visit to the park we packed light and I just went back to the room for essentials as and when we needed to . No problems leaving bags by our beds while we went on the parks attractions , completely safe . We bought a waterproof pouch for £3 on our shopping day and this proved the best option for the 2 of us . The water park is excellent . Great slides and rides , the longest lazy river we've ever been on and some of the rides are accessible via conveyor belts so you you don't even have to get out of your tube . No issues with queues at all . The white sand beach is a minutes walk from most points in the water park , again beds no problems and the beach bar served us drinks without any delay. The beach is fronted by a long road which has golf buggies that will pick up and drop off residents , no charge . We spent 2 whole days in the water park and beach and had a ball . Between water park days we left the resort to spent time seeing the sights of Dubai . Loads of frequent free buses from the hotel to all the main shopping malls . We went up the Burj Kalifah tower accessible from the Dubai mall . Book well in advance as it seems to fill up very quick . You only need an hour and half for the whole experience and it's well worth it . Great views and photo opportunities . Dubai Mall is very impressive , designer shops , enormous aquarium and all on many levels . Below and outside the mall are the souks . These are new souks and although very nice we wanted some Dubai old style. We headed by taxi to Deera where the old style town & souks are .Taxis are VERY cheap ( state run and fuel is 28p a litre ) Deera was great and we saw some traditional Emiraty culture .My wife haggled for "designer" goods and bargains were secured. The locals will approach you offering all sorts, but a polite ''no thank you'' seemed to be all they wanted and no problems were found wandering the old part of Deera. Shopping in hand ,we headed by taxi to Le Merdien Hotel at the base of the Palm ''trunk'' and spent the night at Barasti's bar . It's by the beach , open air with live music and great views of the Atlantis Palm . Drinks here were cheaper than the Palm . A beer / small house wine in the Atlantis £8plus . Barasti's bar £5 - £6 . Good pub grub and although expensive compared to the UK , a little cheaper than the Atlantis . A point to note is ...don't go to the Atlantis Palm (and Dubai in general ) expecting to get a holiday where things are reasonably priced . Prices for food & drinks in the Atlantis by UK standards are breathtaking on times . It is not the hotel to go to if your worried about paying £7 for a large bottle of water , £8 plus for a bottle of beer , small house wine and £14 for a cocktail . Luckily we had the half board option but food prices were elevated also so I would imagine all this added on could make for a bank account breaking holiday in some cases . As we didn't use our meal vouchers on the evening we went to Barasti's , we had 2 spare . We used them in Shark Bites water park restaurant on the afternoon of our last day . You get approx. £23 to spend each and you get a lot of very naughty but nice fast food & drinks for that . We sat out in the sun looking over the view to Dubai city and ate out lunch , very nice indeed . For our last evening we decided on having a la carte and ate at La Brasserie . You get a large list of food options on the menu in your voucher allowance but some things can be added at extra cost . Lovely meal and we enjoyed it all immensely . We made the decision to pay for drinks /extras as we went along rather than charge the room and were glad we did so . A huge bill at the end of a holiday always takes the shine off but each to their own .We had breakfast and got ready to check out . Checking out was no problem. A bell boy picked our luggage up and checked our taxi transfer at the Arabian Adventure desk in the lobby . We had a last drink and the finally the call came to get our taxi. We left our spectacular abode with a heavy heart . We hope to go back one day and cannot recommend this hotel enough .One last thing , other reviews appear to criticise some of the staff . Our room attendant was brilliant , spotlessly clean , attentive and above all honest . We had unknowingly dropped a small wad of notes on the floor in our room . On our return one afternoon he spoke to us and returned the cash . We checked our money and we were down the exact amount . Thoroughly impressed but not at all surprised , exactly what we came to expect from the staff at this brilliant hotel /resort .

Room Tip: If you're checking in early pack some beach/pool stuff as the room keys aren't available unt...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review of your experience at Atlantis, The Palm.

I sincerely regret that we were not able to provide you with a room before the official check-in time, however, I wish to assure you that all check-ins are processed on a first come first serve basis and availability of room type that you have booked for.

Furthermore, I am very pleased to read that you had a great experience with us. I will not miss to share your positive feedback to all my colleagues and to congratulate them on a job well done.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

Atlantis has the wow factor! It is situated on its own little island (almost) with a private beach and endless facilities. You have the water park, dolphin pool, a mall, an aquarium and plenty of places to eat and drink. All in all a very accomplished hotel.

This is a hotel for families. Yes, you can still enjoy yourself if its a couple's holiday, but this hotel is built for families in mind. You are guaranteed to find children running around everywhere. This is all well and good, but that does leave the adults with not much to do, other than to spend money on cocktails and food at the numerous restaurants and bars dotted around.

The food - fantastic. I can safely say that they have managed to satisfy almost every need at this hotel. Even the buffet food is amazing. You can't ask for more choice! If you don't fancy eating in the buffet, and want a more civilised "sit-down" meal, you will be satisfied. They offer French, Italian, Lebanese, Steak, and an up-market Asian restaurant. Those familiar with "Nobu" will be surprised to see restaurant inside this vast hotel. Depending on your package, you will get vouchers, which allow you to get food for free. Whether it be for lunch or for dinner. If you do end up using your vouchers for dinner, be prepared to shell out a small fortune for your lunch. And, the quality (at lunch, at the poolside bar), is not great. For a mere £60 we had one chicken Ceaser salad, one burger and two cocktails!!!

There is a slight problem with the rooms in the hotel. Although this is a family themed hotel, there is a slight conflict in the rooms. Between the bathroom and the main sleeping area, there is a second sliding door (please see photo attached). This opens up and allows one to sit on the toilet seat and see directly through your bedroom to the sliding door. As our room was the ocean side, I was able to look directly out at sea. I found this to be a little inconsistent. I would assume that this kind of arrangement would be more suited in a romantic getaway. The TV is also a bit of an issue. Funnily enough, you are encouraged to watch the football in the bar and not in your room. I have been to Dubai on a few occasions, so I know what their standard cable offers. They have very sneakily removed the sports channels within the room. The other problem was that when we checked into the rooms, we were told that we would be getting a twin room. Which would have 2 x queen sized beds. Once we got to the room, we found that there was 1 x double and 1 x single. When I rang the reception to ask about this, they just apologised and said that they were very busy and couldn't change anything around! How can this be? I was just told what I should expect, and 5 minutes later it is not what I have been told! I drew the short straw and had to sleep on a single bed (which I haven't done so since I was at university). In the end I had to accept what I was being told. When I did go to sleep I noticed something (photo attached). This is a photo of my duvet. Beneath the duvet sheets, I realised that the duvet was in a horrible state. I just couldn't believe what I was seeing. Especially in a hotel that demands respect. The other issue in the room was the mini bar fridge. Our fridge just wasn't cooling as it should be. We checked the fridge in another room and it was fine. Even though we had called the reception to complain, their answer was that it was fine. I called them 3 times. On the third call, they fixed it!!

So all in all, at first looks a very good hotel. It does have a tourist attraction feel to, as people are constantly walking around. In my eyes, this takes it away from a hotel. Doesn't make it special when tourists are wondering around taking photos. There is a constant noise about the place. In honesty, for this price, I have stayed at better hotels. Good hotel, but for me, I would never stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Serge_Zaalof, President and Managing Director at Atlantis, The Palm, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at Atlantis, The Palm on TripAdvisor.

I sincerely regret to read that there were some areas that we did not meet your expectation during your stay with us.

Furthermore, Atlantis, The Palm is indeed quite popular with families. Nevertheless, I can assure you that we also have a lot of facilities dedicated for adults to enjoy. These include treatments at our ShuiQi Spa, exclusive pods and private lagoon experiences which can be availed at Dolphin Bay upon request, restaurants and bars such as Ossiano, Nobu, Nasimi Beach and N'Dulge which are strictly an adult affair - to name only a few.

Moreover, I have taken note of your comment regarding state of duvet provided to you during your stay. My team has sent you a private message and we look forward to connect with you personally to further investigate what happened.

Thank you once again for your review and we look forward to hear from you.

President and Managing Director

Been to Atlantis, The Palm? Share your experiences!