“Amazing hotel with lacklustre service” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Dubai The Palm Resort & Spa

You added Sofitel Dubai The Palm Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Sofitel Dubai The Palm Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   The Palm Jumeirah | East Crescent road 55558, Dubai, United Arab Emirates   |
Special Offer
Save up to 35%!
Ranked #37 of 486 Hotels in Dubai
London, United Kingdom
“Amazing hotel with lacklustre service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

I stayed in the Sofitel in November of this year with a friend and whilst the rooms and amenities are of a high standard, the rooms well set out and incredibly comfortable, the service really lets it down. We arrived after an overnight flight first thing in the morning and due to full occupancy were unable to get into the room straight away but didn't expect to have to wait until 3.30pm which is when we were finally called to say the room was ready. On arrival there were 5 people to greet us from our transfer and collect our luggage, which I thought was a fantastic start, but then there were only 2 people on reception with a queue of people all waiting but 5 people stood behind them doing nothing as it wasn't their role. We were spoken to around the various restaurant selections and facilities, but at which point we were so tired it was pointless running through anything! They sent us to a shower facility by the pool to freshen up and use facilities until our room was ready but there were no towels and when I chased a guy up for towels I waited 15 mins for him to come back before seeking him out myself at which point he said he couldn't find me! Then by the pool we asked someone 5 times for some water when we finally saw people to ask but nothing came for over an hour at which point we walked up to the bar ourselves to get a drionk.....not a problem....but not 5 star service!

When we finally got into our room I wanted to call for more hangers (as there were only around 4 in the room on arrival) but our phone didn't work so I then had to visit reception once more to get someone sent up to fix the phone. That evening we couldn't turn off the lights and once again had to wait for someone to be sent to the room to fix this problem too.

The issue with ordering drinks by the beach/poolside continued throughout the holiday with it taking around an hour each time to try to get the attention of the right person. There were also issues at breakfast with repeatedly having to request tea/coffee that sometimes came at the end when we had finished all our food. The issue in the hotel is not that they don't have enough staff, it is that they don't have the right staff appointed to the right roles and that the employees do not use initiative to help guests, only doing their own roles and if requested to do something outside of this, they do nothing.

It is a real shame but something that really needs to be sorted out before the hotel can qualify anywhere near being a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
C-Schnyder, General Manager at Sofitel Dubai The Palm Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us following your stay at Sofitel The Palm Dubai.

Every kind of feedback from our guests is important as it enables us to work towards improving the quality of our services. I assure you that all your observations, specially those on regards of our pool restaurant and services, will be shared with the concerned Department Heads for inmediate corrective action.
We do regret that a string of coincidental errors provided you with a negative experience.
This level of service is most certainly not what we would like to be recognised for and we offer you our deepest apologies for not meeting your expectations.

We look forward to be of service on a different occasion.

C. Schnyder

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
ksa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

We staid in this hotel to celebrate my husband's birthday(my husband , i & my 2 kids). From the moment we entered the hotel they treated us as a special guests. The room was amazing. The staff were helpful & the food was Delicious. We love every single detail in that hotel. We are looking forward to stay again & again.

• Stayed October 2013
C-Schnyder, General Manager at Sofitel Dubai The Palm Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

On behalf of my team I would like to thank you for your kind comments and for having chosen to spend with us such special occasion.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed all of our facilities and that the celebration of the birthday of your husband was beyond your expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back at Sofitel The Palm Dubai.

Koksijde, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

We stayed in this hotel as a family of five, 2 adults and 3 childeren(age 4,6 and 9).
New hotel with high qualityof building materials.
Hotel next to the Atlantis, but smaller(and personal).
Pick up at the airport with Cadillac limosine!
Very polite and helpfull staff, concierges will do anything to help you. Smooth check in.
We booked had the 2 bedroom appartement, excellent! Very nice room, clean, airconditioning perfect.
Beds are heaven, Nespresso machine and Bose wave radiosystem.
Balcony overloking Dubai skyline, great!
Several swimming pools, a big one, one with slides, smaller one with jacuzzi, one for the toddlers etc..And the private beach with a vieuw!
Pool temperature is about 30°C so perfect for the childeren, many lifeguards on duty so safe swimming for the childeren! (someone wrote here it was freezing???) Not true!

When you stay in the suite you get acces to the "Club millésimé", now that is great!.
You can have breakfast here exclusive for the guests that are staying in the suites.
Perfect breakfast as anything you ask, you will get.
From 12 untill 17 pm you can get here complimentary snacks, fruit, drinks and so.
And from 18h00 you get drinks and snacks, Beer, wine, Gin etc..(free!!!).
Several restaurants all different but all great! We tried them all.
We had dinner in the Porterhouse(twice) Very nice. Impeccable service and great Food. Go for the Chateaubriand delicious!!
The Italian restaurant is very good and has a terras.
In short all the restaurants are very, very good! Authentical food, good service, the Chinese is one of the best i ever had!!!
It was the birthday of our daughter(9y) and they made a special dessert for her, the staff was singing, this is great!
All restaurants have kids menu, so perfect for the family.
The hotel has got a KIDZ club, very good, lots of effort is made by the staff!
They are really great with the kids, mine wanted to stay longer!
All kinds of games present(like X Box), staff speaks multiples languages.

In all, this is really a great place to stay, certainly with childeren, with staff that try to make you feel at home.
I really do not get the bad revieuws posted here, this is not my experience.
Stay at this hotel you will not regret, ok the only negative point is the wine list is expensive, but it leaves some place for a bottle at fair price. Beer prices are ok.
WIFI anywere in the hotel and flawless.
The spa in did not try so i can not rate it( but iy looks nice);

We booked two tours with Arabian adventures, great! Perfect trip go with them good guides, clean busses, free drinks and of course thanks to the concierge of the hotel that booked this tour! Perfect stay, what can i say more.

Warm greatings to the staff from the family staying in appartement 9402

Room Tip: Ask for a palm vieuw
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
C-Schnyder, General Manager at Sofitel Dubai The Palm Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Sofitel The Palm Dubai and for your kind review on Tripadvisor.

It was our great pleasure to look after you and your friends and serve you according to our high standards. I am pleased to read that you had a great time in our hotel and you enjoyed our facilities.

Your valuable comments concerning our friendly, helpful and passionate ambassadors will be distributed to the relevant departments as these serve as an encouragement and a reward for a ‘job well-done’.

On behalf of my team, I would like to thank you for your nice comments.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back in our hotel soon and create one more ‘Magnifique’ Journey for you.

Houten
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

We had a great time in Sofitel The Palm, Dubai. Very relaxed mid week. Friendly staff, excellent food. We had a perfect dinner at the seafood restaurant. Impressive variety of food at breakfast.
Staff is keen to ensure you enjoy your stay at the hotel. Facilities are top quality. If you are used to do your daily work out: The fitness is excellent as well.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
C-Schnyder, General Manager at Sofitel Dubai The Palm Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on tripadvisor following your stay with us.
I was delighted to read that you had a pleasant stay and enjoyed all our resort has to offer, specially our sea food restaurant, breakfast selection and fitness facilities.

Your comments on regards of our friendly and helpful staff are highly appreciated and extremely encouraging.

We look forward to welcoming you back at Sofitel The Palm Dubai.

Sincerely Yours,

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

After staying the in the Sofitel in Marrakech we decided to give Sofitel the palm a go. We spend 10 days in Dubai every year and we are very proficient in the luxury hotel offering. We normally stay in Jumeirah beach but we this time we wanted somewhere quieter and peaceful.
We booked a 2 bedroom apartment. The apartment was big and well furnished, but technical problems such as malfunctioning of the air conditioning took the hotel 4 days to fix. Cleaning team was good and staff helpful.
One of the mistakes we made was to book half board. IT IS NOT WORTH IT!!!!!!!!. The hotel gives you 175Dhr per adult to spend on tis restaurants. Let me tell you that that will not cover any main course!!!! Food is well overpriced and drink even more (which is expected in 5star hotels) but at least, they should be warned people to not bother with half board option.
I do not mind paying 5 star prices, but I felt disappointed (taken for a ride). The staff has big problems on getting the bills right at check out. It took us over 1 hour and I do not know if the bill is correct or not. It wasn’t only us. Many other customers were affected and complaining.
The ATLANTIS NEXT door has the NOBU and a pretty good steak house. Many people took that option.
In summary, not sure if we will return. Hotel Offer in Dubai is massive and Sofitel is nice, but not amazing. I felt disappointed with their half board arrangements, and sadly that takes few marks of.

Room Tip: Apartments are better option. some people prefer the PALM view. I quite enjoyed the sea view. there...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for having taken the time to post your review on tripadvisor following your stay at Sofitel The Palm, Dubai.

On behalf of my team I would like to express my sincere gratitude on regards of your compliments to our newly opened appartments and our cleaning services.

Furthering your comments of our half board, I would like to highlight that the credit we provide, is to spend in other outlets of our hotel in case you do not want to have your meal in our all day dinning restaurant, where you can enjoy a large variety of international food without any restriction.

Once again, I thank you for your valuable comments and we look forward to be of service on a different occasion should your travel plans take you to the Palm, Dubai, again.

Sincerely yours,

Sincerly yours,

2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

I went to the seafood restaurant last night with reasonable expectations. I really like the layout and I'm sure if there were more diners, the ambience would have been much better.. A few grumbles/suggestions;

Cucumber is a hendriks gin, not lime
The lobster "nachos" would have been better if warm
I'm surprised you have only two fish caught locally on your menu (no hammour/kingfish?)
The fish was over seasoned with salt - a great shame
The asparagus were impossible to cut with the knives provided

Overall I was disappointed. They also had the rehearsals for sound and light for tonight's opening show. It would have been nice to be warned before being seated. The high power spot lights flashing around and in the face didn't add to the overall experience. A gesture from the manager at the end of the evening, even a short apology for inconvenience would have made a difference..

Dropped into Porterhouse steak restaurant on the way out for a look. I was again surprised - only one Porterhouse in the whole menu!

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on tripadvisor following your visit of our Seafood Restaurant, Moana.

I was distressed to learn that your experience did not meet your expectations for what I sincerely apologize. Your comments have been shared with the concerned department for inmediate optimization of our services.

As an international resort and therefor restaurant, we strive to offer our guest a wide and exclusive variety of products. That been said, we believe that the option of two local fishes (Red snapper and Red mullet) is a good combination with other international choices.

On regards of the food, your opinion is extremely important as it enables us to identify and measure our strengths and weaknesses. I have taken your remarks very seriously and will use them as a platform to work on to improve our services.

C. Schnyder

Been to Sofitel Dubai The Palm Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!