TRAVEL ALERT: SECURITY CONCERNS More info

“Good hostel, one of the managers is a real problem” 3 of 5 stars
Review of al-Gawaher Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Aleppo
al-Gawaher Hotel
You added al-Gawaher Hotel to your Saves list
Bab al-Faraj St. | Behind Library, Aleppo 6952, Syria   |
Ranked #22 of 28 Hotels in Aleppo
Liverpool
“Good hostel, one of the managers is a real problem”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2010

Overall I thought it was good hostel and a good place to meet other travellers. Its a shame that one of the managers, the younger one, made everything difficult. I arrived and asked for the cheapest bed available. He told me I had to have a single room but later found out they had much cheaper and available options on the roof. I said I would like to stay for 3 nights. "no problem" I was told. After the second night the same manager said he needed my bed as a group had arrived. In my view "no problem' equates to a booking. Luckily the other older and very sensible manager said of course I could stay. I had the misfortune of losing my credit and debit cards in Aleppo. The same manager thought this was hilarious and offered no help or advice but pranced around being smug. Just watch out for him.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo

Business
dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2010

i really liked this place. it was great value, $20 per night for a 2 people with private bathroom.
The bathroom was not great ot be honest, and a pair of flip flops was a godsend for the bath, which looked like it had never been introduced to Cif.
The room had everything we needed; the bed shets might have been mis matching and with a hole in them, but they were spotless. Tho we booked a double we got 2 singles, but this seemed to happen everywhere in the Middle East so it might be a language issue.
the room has AC, which is a huge consideration if going to Aleppo in summertime. There was also a TV and a tiny balcony, with lovely old wooden shutters to keep out the noise!
The main thing this place has going for it is the staff. they were just so nice and laid back. Typical Syrians. they gave us loads of free tea, and even let us use their mobile phone. when my husband had a sick stomach they madfe him a special herbal tea.
it's a very hand location for both Old and New city.
For twenty dollars, this place is hard to beat. and Aleppo is brilliant.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Gloucester, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2010

A friend and I stayed in Al Gawaher for 4 nights in July 2010. We had originally planned to stay or two nights but after arriving early we realised there was so much to do in Aleppo we should stay one extra night. We arrived at the hotel to find the owner (Ahmad) to be very helpful and friendly with excellent English. We had a twin room on the third floor, which had two reasonably comfortable beds, a (slightly cramped) bathroom which had an excellent shower, as well as A/C. The room was all we could ask for seeing as we were not planning on spending much time in the hotel. The total cost for the room for both of us was 1000SP per night, a rate we never managed to match for our entire journey around the Middle East. We found all the hotel staff to be very helpful and friendly, offering to organise trips for us to the Dead Cities in northern Syria (an excellent day out, total cost of about 1300SP so about £15 for transport and food and getting in to all the sites) Would definitely stay at Al Gawaher again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2010

I stayed in this hotel three nights and it was a good choice for the price we spent.
Rooms are basic and bathrooms could be better but Ahmed is very friendly and helpful, the position is good (close to the city center and to the museum) and breakfast great!
I think that if I will visit Syria again I will probably go to al Gawaher again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Sao Paulo, SP
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2010

Conviniently located just a few blocks away from the Old City), but in a very dirty street. The rooms could be cleaner and there was a lot of noise from the street. Personally, I did not have a good relationship with the reception person, but I guess I didn't contribute.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2010

Every hotel that we have stayed based on lonely planet's reccommendations turns out to be a bad choice. Maybe once in the guide they slack off. It was very expensive for the dump that it is and in low season. It has a convenient location, but so do most hotels in Aleppo. It was so noisy that we had to wear ear plugs, the toilet would not flush, the tub would fill with water like a pool and then would leak into the floor, when we told them there was no hot water they said we had to let it run for 10 minutes, you have to keep asking them for toilet paper, no breakfast available, not all of the staff were the friendliest, no internet, ac was not working, and we got bitten by mosquitos. Ruined my time in Aleppo, which is a wonderful place. Book another hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
newcastle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2009

Probably the worst entrance approach for accommodation ever, but once you get inside there are lots of pleasant surprises. Like an "atrium" area to lounge about in. Adequate clean rooms at the right price {we even had a fridge and a balcony, but you probably need to ask for it} BUT, it is right in the thick of things and plenty of walking to do in the evenings close-by. They are very good in the mini-tours and competitive in price as well.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to al-Gawaher Hotel? Share your experiences!