“Comfy bed but smelly bathroom, shouting women in the middle of the night & rude staff” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Sokdee Guest House

and 1 more site!
You added Sokdee Guest House to your Saves list
Sokdee Guest House
Xatikhoumman Road | Ban Vat Nong, Luang Prabang, Laos   |
Ranked #140 of 230 Luang Prabang B&B and Inns
Bristol, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2011

We stayed here last night for one night after arriving on the slow boat at sunset. We wanted a budget-priced room and looked at a few different places in this area which were either too expensive or ding , ybefore a guy on a bike showed us to Sokdee for 100,000kip room. He seemed nice enough and showed us to the room which had a TV and bathroom with electric shower. We were tired from the journey and it looked OK for the money so we went for it.

It had a huge comfy bed with a duvet and clean white bedlinen and the bathroom seemed clean. It was only after using the shower that we noticed the smell emanating from the drains which got worse and worse throughout our stay.
The windows in the room were open and when we tried to close them they got stuck so we had to leave one slightly ajar.
There were signs on the doors saying no noise after 11pm and at gone midnight we were woken by a woman shouting and banging on someone's door. Then it must have been 5am today when she started shouting again.

My boyfriend went to the desk to checkout with a guy sat there and I went outside to put my shoes on and this other guy came zooming round the corner barking "room number" at me like I was leaving without paying. Then we went to pay 100,000kip and the desk guy said it was $15 which is 120,000kip. We said we were told 100k and the barking guy said something in Lao and the desk guy looked annoyed and accepted 100k.

We were so glad we checked out of that place. Normally we check Tripadvisor but we didn't get chance this time otherwise we wouldn't have bothered.

Coincidentally we've now checked into Oudomphong Guest House II which I noticed is the same as the previous reviewer. A lovely place run by lovely people.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
heidelberg
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2010

We had a terrible experience whilst staying at this guesthouse. We forgot our notebook at the reception the night before departing and no one from the staff told us. We had to travel back to Luang Prabang for 7 hours two days later because the staff pretended (or actually were) ignorant when we called them by telephone about the notebook. When we arrived back, the man whom we suspected to be the owner (he said that the owner lives in Thailand) asked that we hand over USD 50 as a "tip" for the people who "found" the notebook (in his reception!). We couldn't believe it. While the room was clean and presentable, not all rooms have a mosquito screen at the window. The staff was rude and uninterested from the beginning and the wifi only worked on the first day. Altogether an awful experience. Instead, we would recommend Oudomphong Guest House on Ban Houaxieng, which was good value for money, pleasant and trustworthy.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Zurich
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

Wow.. Unfortunately I haven't consulted tripadvisor before checking into this place it I would have stayed away from the start. I was however in a desperate situation coming home from a trip to the waterfall (highly recommended) after dark with no room to stay in. So I was wet and muddy and in top of that feeling a bit sick. All this finally made me pay 60,000 kip for a fan room when I paid 45,000 kip for the same the other night; but the TV in the room seemed to justify this a little. I was told on the street that the room would cost 50000 but when I was in there it was 60000 Kip. I've already walked away but because of the above mentioned reasons I turned back again. However, when I came home after dinner, looking forward to watch TV (a luxury I haven't had in more than 3 months) I find my door open and the guy just removing my TV!!! "no tv in this room". I couldn't help laughing because it was so absurd but then I got really upset. This is what I'd call fraud. His only comment was "oh, the guy didn't tell you?". No apology. So I can only confirm the unfriendliness of the staff. Terrible.
Instead of watching TV, I'm writing thus review.
Stay away and don't continue giving these guys business!!!

• Stayed November 2010
barcelona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2010

I stayed 3 days in this Guesthouse and I wouldn´t recommend it to anyone. The people who run the place are absolutely unfriendly and the only thing they have in their mind is to get money from you or to sell you expensive tuc tuc trips.
An example, one night we were coming back to the Guesthouse a bit late and we asked for a bottle of water in the reception, the guy who was there asked for 15.000kips and we thought it was too expensive, but we paid it because it was the only place to buy at this time and we were thirsty. Next morning, I asked for the price to another one who was in the reception who looked to be one of the managers and he told me it was 2.000kips. When I told him I had to pay 15.000 the night before, he didn´t care at all. The same reaction they had when I asked for a change in the light of our bathroom (didn´t work and we have to pi and shower in the dark) they didn´t do anything.
If this is not enough, we paid everyday by cash without getting any receipt and when we were leaving they asked for a receipt. So we had to wait until everyone who was getting our money confirmed that we had paid already and during that time they treated us like thieves.
Laos and Luang Prabang is full of nice, honest and friendly people, please avoid this place.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2010

ignorant staff but the room we got at the front was lovely. Good A/C, TV and clean. We paid 25 dollars per night for a double room. Stingy on the toilet paper and the bed had a huge towel instead of a sheet to sleep under. Bizarre. Grand place though!

• Stayed May 2010
Barcelona, Spain
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2010

We booked a fan room without a/c for 100.000 kip based on the fact that they did have WiFi. In all fairness, the WiFi worked, but the room was dirty and the bathroom was VERY dirty and had this disgusting smell to both number one and two, all mixed together. The staff is extremely rude, unhelpful and untrustworthy. One night we arrived at 10 pm and asked the night guard to sell us a big water bottle. He charged us 15.000 kips. Because we thought it was very expensive, the following day we asked in reception how much a big bottle was and they told us 5.000 Kips. We complained about this, but they didn't care at all. Anyways, stay at some other place. We moved to Villa Shayada, which for the same rate gave us a very clean room with a/c.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2010

A decent place to stay - nothing fancy, just nice clean rooms. Remember to barter - prices are always negotiable. Would have been better if breakfast had been included.
The $60 rooms on the front looked very overpriced.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Sokdee Guest House? Share your experiences!