“sure good value for money” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Jaliya Guesthouse

Jaliya Guesthouse
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Luang Prabang
Jaliya Guesthouse
You added Jaliya Guesthouse to your Saves list
Phamahapasaman Rd | Ban Viengxay, Luang Prabang, Laos   |
Ranked #116 of 226 Luang Prabang B&B and Inns
chiangrai
“sure good value for money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

not much to add what others have pointed at already......I really liked the garden and met some nice people there too.If you don't carry heavy luggage the bus terminal is within walking distance.
on the way to the historical center,around the corner,about 2 blocks away there is a place to rent motorbikes and grocery shop,the owner is friendly,trustworthy and speaks good English

Room Tip: I liked the room left of the exit to the garden,quiet and convenient
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Paris, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

After a long ride with slow boat in rain we found from lp this guesthouse that offered for fair price (60.000kip) double room inside house. Room was big and clean, has hot water and fan. As already mentioned is a bit further from center and does not rent bicylces (only motorbikes). To the center there is a 10 min walk. The staff is not nice nor rude. Their wifi is working but for our stay there was a lot of interuptions. So we could not really rely on it. They close main gate around 10 but there is a guy who will open the door for you (if not asleep). Road that passes by if you have a room with balcony to it is not busy so it is not too noisy. There is a atm across the street and market and coffee place are quite close. There is also bicycle rent near. Check-out time is at 12. Oh yes and you have to put key in the "key holder" next to door to provide electricity for the room, that means when you go out there won't be any (if you want to charge phone, camera....fan, A/C won't work as well)

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
New South Wales, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We arrived in Luang Prabang with a recommendation to stay at Jaliya, we arrived and thought it looked nice so we booked in for 2 nights. The rooms weren't too bad, the hot water in both my parents room, and my sister and mine's wasn't working, the beds were rather hard and it was a bit too far from the center of town for us. The lady at the front desk was friendly and was a good help in tips of places to go and tuk tuk costs.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for six nights. Three nights in a bungalow in the garden and three nights in a room inside the guesthouse. It was the same price, 100.000 kip per night.
We liked the room inside the guesthouse more as it was cleaner and bigger. The one in the garden had few spiders and ants but the one inside was absolutely spotless.
We arrived at 5 oclock in the morning but were allowed to check in then even though the check in time starts at eight am. We were very thankful for that.
It is at a good location - five minutes walk from the city center and two minutes walk from a pool (didn't try the pool though).
It's also close to a cheap and good Indian restaurant called Nisha.
On the downside, there is a construction going on in the garden that is definitely going to wake you up early. Also, the owner might cheer up a little bit.
I would stay at this guesthouse again if I would ever come back to Luang Prabang (which I'm not going to since it's just one tourist trap).

• Stayed October 2012
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

Jaliya is about 10 minutes walk from the centre of the city. In a quit area so you have a good night sleep. Room rates: double gardenroom fan 60.000 kip (with tv 20.000 kip extra), double room a/c 100.000 kip (with tv 20.000 kip extra). The tv thing is a bit strange in my opinion.
The garden rooms are 4 x 3 meter. Good mattrass and clean bedsheets. Wooden furniture (table, stairs, dressing table, mirror). Big bathroom with hot water shower. Shower makes you wet but not really much power. If you want they change bedlinnen every day. Towels, soap, toiletpaper are provided. The room is spotless, the bathroom is clean enough. We had some tiny ants in the room but not that much and we always cary a can of baygon with us :)
Enough daylight in the room.
The owner is nor really rude as i read before. See i just a business woman and fair enough. She have some dry kind of humor. We had no problem with her at all. There is no restaurant in he questhouse but you can buy all kind of drinks at a fair price. Laundry (a good one) at 10.000 kip a kilo. Atm at the other side of the road.
Good Lao restaurant with really tasty food 200 meters on the left at the opposite side of the street.
This guesthouse with those rates is a good budget option I will stay here again next time i am in LP.

1 critical point: They sweep the whole garden area at 6:30 or 07:00 am. This will wake you up for sure. I do not understand why they do this so early.

And then something about Luang Prabang itself:

After more then 12 months traveling through asia i can say something about cities. Luang prabang is the biggest tourist trap i ever encounter in my life. A horrible city were everyone try to rip more then a fair price of $$ or €€ from you. That really spoilt my time in this place. I cannt believe why this play is a travelers choise 2012 ? This place is even worse then the most places in India !!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
menen Belgie
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

I travel singel, and moved from Mao Pho Shak gusthouse where i payed 50.000 kip for dark room with many insect, and the walls are painting from blind baby's ( i guess).
Really noisy in the morning( 3 am) from neighbour. Completly wrong choise !
Then i arrived after visiting few other guesthouses in JALIYA GUESTHOUSE.
I rent bungalo in nice guiet garden. I payed only 60.000 kip for dubbel room with full wood furniture , badroom with hot shower, soap and soft towels, but unfortunately stopped drean on washbasin. Evry day they change towels and make up bed.
Matteress was new but to hard (for me).
They offer free WIFI - perfect working in rooms.
The owner was efficient but friendly to me.
My opinion ; perfect location just outside the busy guesthouse-area and resonable price.
Yes , if I come back LP, it will be here !

Room Tip: Take the bugalow-room in garden.n Really quiet and good wifi.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

We had a look at a lot of hostels in the backpacker area that we thought were a bit grimy and dirty for the price. So we found this place in my guidebook (footprint). It's slightly further out from the centre of Luang Prabang but the walk is only 10 minutes and you come straight onto the night market which is nice. There are some cheap places to eat nearby too. It is right opposite the laos airline office.
The rooms were simple but clean with ensuite and fan. Can't be definite about price but I'm sure it was 60000 kip a night which was slightly cheaper for a double then some of the places in the backpacker area had quoted us.
The owner was very efficient and abrupt but not rude in me and my girlfriend's opinion and she seemed very happy to show us on the map how to get to places.
All in all cheap price and perfectly clean room, not amazing but fine.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Jaliya Guesthouse? Share your experiences!