We stayed in 3 different guesthouses during a 9-day stay in LP. We had a pretty tight budget, but decided to "splurge" a tiny bit the last two nights and stay in one of Thongbay's riverview rooms. This was a great choice – and by far one of the best values we've experienced on our trip in SE Asia. The other reviews have said all the important things, but I'll just reiterate:
+ The staff here are exceptional! Kind and helpful, and not at all pushy.
+ The location is great, nice views of the river and surrounding countryside.
+ Breakfast is delicious (not free, but reasonably priced) and having it delivered to your room is a huge bonus
+ Although not the cheapest option in LP, it must be the best value. Feels like a 5 star hotel.
+ Many more Pros – stay here and find out for yourself!
Cons (I'm stretching here):
- not an easy walking distance to town (but their free shuttle has a very accommodating schedule)
- occasionally you can hear karaoke on the other side of the river (I found this added to the vibe, actually – but certainly not too "nature-y")
- This is kind of an eco-lodge, and you're in the jungle – so don't be surprised if you see the occasional small insect in your room. But none of you are too stuck up and disconnected from reality for this to be a problem, right?
Anyhow, assuming this place fits your budget and you don't have an issue with anything above, you should probably stop reading my review and book here. One of the best places I've stayed in a long while...
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Booking.com and Odigeo so you can book your Thongbay Guesthouse reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Thongbay Guesthouse Hotel Luang Prabang