“Outstanding” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Satri House

You added Satri House to your Saves list
Satri House
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   57 Phothisarath Rd | Ban That Luang, Luang Prabang 85671, Laos   |
Ranked #12 of 67 Hotels in Luang Prabang
New York City, New York
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

My wife and I spent 2 weeks traveling around South East Asia for our honeymoon in June 2014 and this hotel was the best lodging we experienced. We can't recommend it enough. It lies a ten minute walk from the main streets of Luang Prabang (just enough to wake you up at 5:30am if you want to check out the ceremonial offerings by the local townsfolk to the monks. The hotel is in amazing condition, pools, spa and our room were beautiful. The staff while speaking very little english can accomplish just about anything and are very happy to do so for you. I've never seen so many smiles. I sincerely hope we make it back for an anniversary in the years to come. Very highly recommended/

Room Tip: Didn't check out the fitness center and honestly don't remember if they have one (not the re...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
SatriHouseMGMT, General Manager at Satri House, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Dear Lars F,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review of Satri House Secret Retreats.

I was delighted to read your review of your time with us. We're all thrilled that you chose the hotel for your honeymoon and found the whole experience to be faultless.

We all look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

With warmest wishes,

Henri Spanneut

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Bangkok, Thailand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

WARNING: Do not pre pay this hotel, it is in decline.
Our stay at Satri House was most disappointing and we left early.

Our first night was unfortunately disturbed by noisy guests in the next door room (the hotel receives Chinese tour groups) so we were particularly ill prepared for the second night when we had to move rooms in the middle of the night. Many of the condensing units for the hotel’s air conditioning are situated above the second floor bedrooms on the roof, so when certain units are running bedrooms will experience uncomfortable and disturbing vibrations. A noisy air con can be overcome to some degree by wearing ear plugs, but vibration noise cannot be eliminated. So on our second night, when some other guests went to bed and turned on their air con unit, we were woken to the awful noise of their condensing unit kicking into life above our bedroom. The night staff looked around to find another room, but since this was a general problem in the hotel only one available room could be found. Unfortunately it was not big enough to properly accommodate an extra bed for our son. The following day a search was made for another room, and were offered a choice of their best rooms, but sadly as much as we liked the décor, the top suite room also suffered vibration noise and the room below smelled strongly of damp. Since no ‘quiet’ room could be offered we had to find an alternative hotel, which was a shame as we had only a few days in which to enjoy Luang Prabang. We sought out a comparable hotel and moved to the Luang Say Residence, which was lovely and can certainly be recommended. It was clean and fresh, lots of staff and an incredibly beautiful clear pool.

The hotel has been attractively laid out but it seems to be in decline. There was an overall feel of tiredness, it did not feel fresh and clean, the cushions were dirty, some ornaments in the room were damaged, the fan on our balcony was broken and replaced by another broken one, the light fitting in the toilet leaked water and the main pool appeared to have a filter problem, or not adequately maintained. The second little pool was clear, but the cushions in the sala nearby were so disgustingly dirty that several towels needed to be placed upon them to feel comfortable to use them.

Another low point were the dining tables, which were stained with shoe polish or something similar. At breakfast we came away with brown stains on our arms and legs! It was fortunate that it did not come into contact with our clothes. My swimsuit however was less fortunate as one of the hotel staff moved my damp swimsuit onto a wooden towel rail and the stain could not be removed. The swimsuit was ruined – compensation was not made despite charging a previous guest for breaking a cheap glass shampoo bottle (an easy accident in a wet area). The young hotel manager was charming and did his best and in the hope of making us feel better about lack of compensation from the owner offered a free a massage, but we had already packed to leave the hotel.

The restaurant looked lovely and the food was mostly fine, but it was empty and overpriced and whilst some of our costs were refunded against this, it did not in any significant way refund the money owed to us, or to compensate, as the hotel claimed, against the swimsuit.

Our early departure for reasonable reasons, as the hotel could offer the basics of a quiet room, and the subsequent handling of the situation left us with the feeling that the hotel was a little desperate for money.

Staff could only be found by searching them out, although once found they were very pleasant and helpful. It used to be part of the prestigious Relais and Chateaux group but has since been dropped. The hotel now advertises quite widely, and is included by ‘Mr & Mrs Smith’ which I found surprising as I would not consider it a suitable standard for their clientele.

We have since had dialogue with the hotel but the situation of money owing was not resolved.

Room Tip: downstairs rooms as they don't have air con condenser units above them, but still bring the ear...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear Liz W,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write and given detailed feedback of your recent experiences at Satri House.

Please let me start by saying how sorry I am for all the frustrations and the series of problems you had to experience while staying at our hotel. We have built a reputation, over the years, for flawless service and I am distressed that we fell far short of your expectations and our own standards.

I understand that you chose Satri House because of this reputation.
We have worked hard over the years to communicate any possible problems quickly and I am embarrassed that we did not solve the problems while you were staying with us.

I do appreciate the time you spent detailing your visit, as this allows me the opportunity to sit down with all the various teams to learn, revisit procedures and to make certain our quality control standards are followed consistently. I assure you that your experience is the exception rather than the norm.

As you are aware, we've made the appropriate rebate to compensate the damaged swim suit.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you again for your feedback.

With my apologies and warm personal regards,

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

This is a beautiful hotel, with unusual features. A lot of care and consideration has been taken in the design of this boutique hotel. Special little touches such as the crystal bottles containing soap and conditioner in the bathrooms. Beautiful large bathrooms with unusual green tiles. I loved the antiques placed in strategic positions all over the old house. A Homes and Gardens magazine gem! My one big complaint, which I am sure will not be answered as I have complained and had no response to date. Is that the wine we ordered from room service was an extortionate price, in my calculation it came to £70 for one bottle of white wine. No room service menu was provided so consequently I was not able to see the price otherwise I would not have ordered it. My shock and horror when I received my final bill was upsetting! Hey! Ho! I paid but was duped! So no full marks from me for a beautiful hotel. Travellers beware! The staff were very attentive thank you for that. Despite my upsetting experience I would return, but go else where for my wine and pay £20 for an excellent bottle!

Room Tip: We stayed next to the Lilly pond, a room with a verandah. All very special.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
SatriHouseMGMT, General Manager at Satri House, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Dear Elizabeth,

Thank you very much for taking time and sharing your overall experience about your stay at Satri House.

We're glad to read that you enjoyed the decoration and the whole property.
I'm truly sorry that you were not shown the information book in the room with all the menu inside and price. We always take care of our guest's needs and satisfaction, so therefore, we will make sure that this information will not be missed anymore.

We look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Warm regards,

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

We stayed 5 nights at Satri House and really loved it! It is tucked away on the outskirts but we walked into town with ease. It is very quiet within its own very carefully maintained grounds with lush gardens and welcoming pool. You can feel the history of the hotel and it is a fine mix of older style building but modernised and extended. We stayed in room 223 which proved to be very quiet. It had its own balcony, large bed and spacious bathroom. The dark wood interiors provide a cooling effect. The breakfasts are very good with plenty of choice and constant supply of top ups. We also had a very good dinner on one night but took advantage of the many restaurants in town. The hotel is part of a French owned group and we were very well looked after by the manager and his local staff.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Simon S,

Thank you very much for taking time and sharing your feedback following to your last stay in Satri House.
We are glad to read that you loved the property's charm and that you found the staff friendly and helpful.
We very much appreciate your comment and hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back in the near future.

Best regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

When we discovered this secret address 2 years ago, my wife (girlfriend back then) knew this would be the perfect place for a dreamy and magic wedding. A little fun thought that was set to become reality.
After a year long of preparation, and lots of coordination between ourselves and the lovely management and staff, all was absolutely perfect on D-day to create what has been the most amazing and happy day of our life.
Satri House is by essence a boutique hotel, in its scale and atmosphere and provides you the domestic feel that one looks for on their travel but also the very discreete but efficient assistance of friendly and smiley staff.
Our wedding happened exactly a year ago now and after having travelled the world since, whether in mexico, japan, morocco or portugal, we can definitely say that satri house is the best boutique experience we have found in the world...so far and we will definitely be back.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
SatriHouseMGMT, General Manager at Satri House, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Dear Laurent,

Thank you so much for sharing your impression following to your stay with us.

It was a great pleasure to have the team of Satri House involved in this very special day.
We're very glad and proud that you enjoyed every moment with us.

All the team of Satri House is renewing their best wishes to you and your wife.

We hope to have the chance to welcome you again at Satri House.

All the best,

Surrey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

Tucked away on the outskirts of town, and yet still within walking distance of the centre. We stayed in a Junior Suite which was both spacious and beautifully appointed, with some lovely local antique touches. Enormous bathroom, with a lovely bath, as well as a separate shower.

Beautiful gardens, with statues in nooks and crannies giving different vistas. Quite a small pool area for the number of rooms, but beautifully clean, and only became busy late afternoon when people came back from their day tours.

We just loved everything about Luang Prabang, and this was the icing on the cake.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear PennyH,

Greetings from Satri House.

We appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback about your recent experience with us.
We are thrilled that you have chosen Satri House for your trip to Luang Prabang.

We are looking forward in welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Henri Spaneut
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

My husband and I loved Satri House and have recommended it to everyone we know who is on their way to Luang Prabang.. The property used to belong to one of the last of the Royal family and it has been beautifully renovated and updated to serve as a boutique hotel. It is run by a gracious and elegant lady who made sure we were super comfortable. I loved the fact that the buildings had lemongrass oil lamps as mosquito repellants. Although I normally hate scented environments, this was different; the lemongrass felt natural and was not at all intrusive. The grounds are beautifully designed - lots of nooks in which one can relax and read a book, under ceiling fans. It was calming to sit beside the lotus pond in one of gazebos. Satri House is decorated with antiques -- beautiful old sculptures, ornate lamps, and gorgeous furniture. Breakfast was delicious. Although its in the center of everything, once you step through the gate of Satri House, it feels as though you are transported back in time, light years away from modern day Asia.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear JADNYC2014,

Thank you for staying with us at Satri House and for taking the time to give us your feedback on TripAdvisor.

We're very glad to read that you enjoyed every single moment of your stay with us.

We're looking forward in welcoming you soon.

Yours sincerely,

Henri Spanneut

Been to Satri House? Share your experiences!