“Small but the best Lao food” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Melbourne, Australia
“Small but the best Lao food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

I have been going to Joys over the last two years since she moved from near the post office to near Nam Phu - just up the road..

Joy's food is always wonderful. My favourites being the crispy bamboo & pork, crispy Mekong garlic fish, spicy chicken in coconut milk and Lao style chicken & mushroom soup. I was there in December 2013 and again last night with local Lao friends, (2 May 2014).

But it is small. You do not have the 15+ staff members & trainees that you find at Blue Lagoon, (Swiss, German) or Elephant, (French) but to me it is like eating at home with your mother cooking. And with due respect to my mother the cooking is better.

I have been to many of the other Lao restaurants, some associated with cooking schools, and have had bad Lao food and very slow service. A view supported by my Lao friends that I have taken. Joy puts the larger restaurants to shame. And it is a very modest price compared to the larger restaurants.

Joy's has a couple of tables on a terrace overlooking the street, plus a main room and a smaller back room. Her husband, Paul, is a professional award winning photographer from Australia and his photographs are on the walls of the restraint and, I think, available for purchase of prints or postcards.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Vientiane, Laos
“I still think about the iced coffee from this place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

After seeing excellent reviews on TA, we ventured to this place only to find that it was closed. Wah wah. But Joy came and opened the place up for us!

Everything our party ordered was tasty - curry, pad Thai, etc. But the most delicious thing was the iced coffee!

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Local, unpretentious, tasty and friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

I ate here twice during my stay- not something I normally do but in this case for 2 reasons. 1) the first meal was so fresh and delicious I wanted to try other dishes and 2) the friendliness of Joy, her son and the staff.
My first visit was on my own and I had the steamed fish, served with a huge fresh salad. Joy went out of her way to ensure I had some conversation but didn't feel bothered. She doesn't seem to care about profit (v reasonably priced) and told me about how she sources her ingredients. The food was delicious!
I took a fellow traveller on my second visit and had the beef laap- again bursting with flavour and freshness.
I was there in low season and the restaurant was very quiet but I can imagine it has a great atmosphere when all 6 tables are full.

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thames Ditton
“Local produce lovingly prepared”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

We visited this restaurant twice during our stay. Although very small, it is personally run by the owner Joy, whose main interest is the food she puts on the plate, and talking to her guests. As a result you are offered some lovely food at a very reasonable cost. Only two tables on the outside terrace, but worth eating outside if you can.

Visited March 2014
Melbourne, Australia
“Joyful dining at Joys”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

First night in LP and we booked at Joys. Joy is a warm an engaging host and an exceptional cook. Eggplant tempura entre was followed by a delicious steamed fish curry. And very reasonably priced too.