“Authentic Laos experience, huge rooms!” 4 of 5 stars

Sayo Xieng Mouane
18/1, Sotikouman Road, Riverfront, Luang Prabang, Laos   |
Ranked #81 of 226 Luang Prabang B&B and Inns
Perth, Australia
“Authentic Laos experience, huge rooms!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Sayo has three properties and I actually stayed at the property located opposite the WAT - not riverside. It's on Lonely Planet Guide (guest house number 112) (map C3) page 150.. Check you are researching the right property. Try their website direct and you will see the various properties on offer. For some reason I couldn't review the correct property through Trip Advisor - or selected the wrong one.. anyway below is my review.

I really loved my room here, which directly overlooked the WAT Xieng Mouane. I booked through Agoda and requested an upstairs superior. Hoping I would get the view of the WAT... which I did. my rate included breakfast and WIFI and was roughly USD $50.00.

The monks chant each night over the road at the temple at twilight and they sound amazing... it's really special actually, after a day of exploring to hear such beautiful sounds while resting on your bed really makes for an authentic Laos experience.. especially when you can view the temple from your room!

The ambience at this hotel is delightful.. the rooms are massive, light and airy... as a solo traveller, my room was bigger than I needed, but I wanted a big room and the natural light, window shutters and huge ceiling heights made it feel quite opulent - yet the decor style was simple and stylish.

The satellite TV always had excellent reception and I had no problems with the WIFI included in the room rate - it was always reliable. The air-conditioner was effective - although I rarely needed to use it during my stay.

Laos beds tend to be on the firm side and this bed was no exception - but you get used to it. Otherwise the bed was fine. Linen was changed regularly.

Breakfast was included in the rate and was basic, but totally adequate and delivered with prompt service.

The location is totally 'spot-on', only minutes to the river and the main street of LP. Only minutes walk to the main drag and a lovely bike ride from the rest. very close the night markets. After exploring LP, this place definitely has one of the best locations in the old town.

I hired a push bike during my 7 day stay and it was the best way to discover the real LP. I highly recommend that anyone staying more than 2 days does the same. It's great exercise in-between all of those amazing bakeries and an excellent way to explore. Lock your bike at all times though.

The only downside of the property is the potential for noise from other inconsiderate guests due to the age and architecture of the beautiful building it echoes. My room was situated on the top floor either side of two equally massive suite rooms which have capacity to house up to five guests, and as such they attract families. I experienced loud noise from children jumping on the stairways, slamming of doors, general loud banter outside my room during very early morning intervals and evenings frequently. This is something that could be avoided if other guests were a bit more considerate of fellow guests staying on the property. I was glad when one family checked out, as things improved after they left.

The other consideration is a wet bathroom - while large and with effective water pressure,it's still a 'wet bathroom' which means, the floor floods a bit after a shower and takes a while to dry. If you can get over that.. you will be fine. It didn't bother me so much. Although a mirror in my 'dry' bedroom area would have been helpful.

Bedside lighting and room lighting is generally dim... bring a book light if you are a reader.

Staff are friendly and happy to help when you ask.

All in all a very delightful stay. Great restaurant nearby is Blue Lagoon - a more expensive option than most LP places, but the diverse menu, service, cleanliness and food quality makes up for it. It's only walking distance from the guest-house and it's good to book to secure at outside table.

Room Tip: Ask for an upstairs Superior with view of the WAT...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights in November 2012. The hotel was very close to the main tourist attractions in Luang Prabang, and for $10, they arranged for someone to pick me up from the airport.
I had one of the more inexpensive rooms, and it was a little dark - only one window in the room. I think the more expensive rooms are larger and lighter, but it was my own choice to save some money. The room was otherwise clean, with maid service daily, and the air conditioner worked well. The hotel has WiFi, although it stopped working on the last day of my stay. But until then, it was reliable, and the connection speeds were above-average.
The location is good if you are interested in seeing the monks from the nearby temples collect their daily sticky rice - they pass by very close to the hotel around 6:30AM every morning.
The room price seemed reasonable to me (I think it was around $30 US per night), but a few other travellers had less expensive places that they were happy with, so it probably pays to shop around.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

I enjoyed a four day stay in this guest house. Room were clean and well serviced daily. Breakfast was well presented and nourishing. Offered cereal, local fruits and cooked item. I had omlettes and bacon daily. Beds were comfortable. Rate reasonable. We only used the fans not a/c. Much more comfortable for sleeping.

Room Tip: In downstairs rooms, the staff open the shutters from the outside daily. In our colleagues upstairs...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Sayo Xieng Mouane? Share your experiences!