“Not so good...” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Asian
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Not so good...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

Went there for late dinner, like 21.30h as all the other restaurants were closed apart from this one. Very confused waiter who couldn't guess wich wines from the menu they had so i got up and went to choose myself from the shelf. Asked for a pizza wich looks like the microwave ones from Europe. My wife asked for fish Laap and was far worse from the ones we've had all over Laos. Asked for the bill and wine bottle was not there, but as a good heart person i told the waiter... not a good experience. ..

London, United Kingdom
“Not Bad, Not Great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

My husband and I had lunch here. I ordered the beef and cheese burger which was average. The beef pattie tasted and looked like one of those flat processed ones you get in the freezer section of the supermarket. Edible, just not what you want in a restaurant. The burger was loaded with raw onion with another big helping of raw onion in the side salad. The fries were also a bit soggy like they hadn't been cooked enough. Shame as the bun and rest of the salad on the burger was nice.
My husband had the avocado and chicken spaghetti which was tasty.
If you are looking for a great burger check out cafe van bat sene which is just up the street.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Brisbane, Australia
“Neat and tidy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

A great little cafe/restaurant that was located right next door to our hotel, Vila Santi. The staff where friendly and the service good. The food was tasty whether it was the local fish dish my wife had or the pizza I had. If you are looking for a change from local food this has a good variety, however the local food taste good too.

Visited October 2013
Sydney
“It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

I dined here twice during my stay in Luang Prabang and there was a tremendous difference between the two experiences. The establishment has great atmosphere, a broad menu and good prices. The location a a little further along the Main Street cutting down on the noise traffic. During my first visit I had a 'luang Prabang' pizza topped with the local sausaage that was fantastic, infact all the pizzas looked fantastic and I wanted to try them all, and the service was equally good. I was so pleased that I decided I would dine there myself on the final night of my stay. The difference was amazing. I had the unfortunate experience of looking into the kitchen from my seat and saw to my horror the waiter, not the chef, preparing my food. I watched him begin praring the food without washing his hands. I watched him cook without a hairnet like the other chefs and saw him continually flicking his hair from side to side right over my food. I counted him removing hairs at least twice a third time go looking for one more that he eventually gave up on. I watched him rub his nose vigioursly with his hand numerous times and he simply continued to handle my food. Given the need to be conscious of food hygiene in Laos, or anywhere for that matter, I got up and said I would leave and why and that I would not pay for the meal. They got quite stroppy insisting I pay for my drink. After intitially refusing giving the disgusting food preparation I had seen I relented when they began to call the police. A stay in a Lao police station did not appeal. Finally when I was leaving the manager said menacingly, 'I will remember you'. On my way back to my guesthouse I noticed that the manager and another waiter were following me on their scooters. It was indeed a scary experience on dark streets in another country. I managed to lose them but it could have ended badly. The sad thing is that when the staff are not being unhygienic with the food and attacking you this is a nice place.
Like the title of this review says, 'It was the best of times, it was the worst of times'. Unfortunately one only remembers the bad.

• Visited December 2012