“Outstanding experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 67 Hotels in Luang Prabang
A TripAdvisor Member
“Outstanding experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

This is a really beautiful hotel in a fabulous location. The facilities are of the best and provide a peaceful haven after a day exploring the temples in and scenery around Luang Prabang. What makes this hotel really special are the staff. They are unfailingly polite and friendly and will do everything in their power to make your stay with them enjoyable. When I spoke to the manager he said how lucky he was to have such good staff. Such an attitude however can only come from the top and is a credit to the way he manages and encourages his staff. Highly recommended! Peter Colyer, Wirral. UK.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Angsana.com

Serge_Ditesheim, Manager at Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear Mr. Colyer,

I trust you have had exciting onward travels and a smooth and uneventful journey back to the UK.

It has been a great pleasure to have made you acquaintance during your recent visit to Luang Prabang. I have read your Tripadvisor review with great interest and joy and am delighted to learn that you have had an overall delightful sojourn.

Thank you ever so much for your kind praise for our team. I would like to mention and point out yet again how truly lucky and privileged I feel, working with a group of such genuinely friendly and humble young people.

Once again Mr. Colyer, thank you for your time and consideration and for providing us with such encouraging feedback.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back again - hopefully soon.

In the meantime I wish you a good day and all the very best!

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Australian in Europe
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

We arrived in evening at this hotel for a 2 night stay based on a package extension we had purchased so we were not sure what we would get on arrival.
What a wonderful surprise. Greeted by some wonderful staff, room was well maintained, clean and comfortable, high ceilings and the balcony was very pleasant also. Guess one would expect this when it is a totally renovated french colonial structure. Had a snack and drink by the pool and again the staff here were extremely nice and co-operative. Breakfast was a joy as again were the staff. Even though a main road is nearby the hotel, rooms and surrounds are extremely peaceful. Has only 24 - 25 rooms, well maintained gardens. Location quite good as near market but not to close.
Wonderful and lovely place as is Luang Prabang.
Nect time we are back here we will stay here again.

Room Tip: Suspect that high season October - Janiary will be extremely difficult to reserve a room based on fe...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Serge_Ditesheim, Manager at Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Dear queenslandtraveller,

Thank you very much for your encouraging feedback which I have certainly not missed to share with my team.

I am really glad to learn you enjoyed the colonial, boutique feel of Maison Souvannaphoum. Also it is nice to know that you liked the convenient and central location of the hotel and I hope you have been able to make some exciting and memorable shopping on the close by night market.

Queenslandtraveller, please trust that we are committed to making Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel a more enjoyable and pleasant place on a daily basis and we shall make every effort to always keep our standards and services at high levels.

I am looking forward to welcome you back in the hopefully not too distant future and in the meantime, would like to wish you happy travels and all the very best.

Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

Quiet and peaceful. Lovely pool, wonderful restaurant, attentive staff and well appointed rooms. Walking distance to the morning and night markets and all the temples. Our room had a balcony overlooking the pool and garden.

We arrived a day late after a travel snafu but were accommodated with smiles, no additional charges, a cool drink and a cold towel. We immediately went to the pool which is in a peaceful corner with a waterfall. After a bit, we decided to eat in the restaurant which seems to float above the pool. We had the special Laotian meal in a long boat with a wonderful Australian Rose. At our request, the restaurant staff explained each dish to us.

Don't miss the hotel store - it has exceptional local textiles and souvenirs not seen in town.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Serge_Ditesheim, Manager at Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear Katherine S,

I trust you have had exciting onward travels and eventually a smooth and uneventful journey back to the US.

It has been a pleasure to have made your acquaintance during your recent stay with us at Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel. I am delighted to learn that you have had an overall excellent stay with us and have certainly not failed to share your kind praise with the team.

My shop manager in particular was very pleased to hear that you found the local product selection to be interesting and we do indeed try to select textiles and other local handicrafts that are not seen on the night market for instance.

Once again, allow me to thank you for having selected Maison Souvannaphoum as your preferred hotel in Luang Prabang and for providing us with your encouraging feedback here on Tripadvisor.

We look forward to welcoming you back when you may travel to this wonderful part of the world again and I the meantime I wish you all the very best.

Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

We are coming to the end of a 3 night stay at this wonderful boutique hotel - highly recommended the staff are very helpful and attentive the spa ladies and massage services are a delight absolutely nothing to fault this hotel if you are coming to this city then stay here you will not be disappointed

Room Tip: Garden room
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Steve P,

Thank you very much for your recommendations.
We are delighted to learn that we have been able to contribute to an overall enjoyable stay in Luang Prabang. My team and especially our spa therapists were delighted to have received such kind praise from your good self. On behalf of everyone here at Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel – thank you very much.

We would certainly be delighted to be of service to you again in the future and look forward to welcoming you back.

In the meantime, I wish you happy travels and all the very best!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

We enjoyed a wonderful stay at MSH. The property is extremely charming, and perfect walking distance to most of the tourist attractions in Luang Prabang. The service was outstanding, led in particular by the GM, Serge, who was helpful and knowledgeable. And we really enjoyed the food - the Lao coconut pancakes in the breakfast buffet were magnificent! The only minor irritation to us was a lizard in our room that made some noise at night - hard to blame the hotel for that, since you're always likely to get some lizards in a tropical location like that. All in all, a place we would love to return to.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Ravi V,

I trust you have had a smooth and uneventful journey back to New York.

It has indeed been a pleasure to have you with us and I am glad to learn that you had an overall delightful sojourn in Luang Prabang.

Thank you very much for your kind feedback on our food and especially on our breakfast buffet. We are constantly looking for ways to keep our spread original and interesting and have made some improvements yet again. The Lao Coconut-Pancakes however are here to stay and I fully agree with you: They are addictive!

Once again Ravi V, thank you for your time and consideration and for providing us with your insightful feedback here on Tripadvisor.

We are looking forward to welcome you back in the hopefully not too distant future and in the meantime I would like to wish you a good day!

Best regards
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I was torn whether to stay closer to the city or at some of the resorts outside the city. I'm so glad I chose the former. Maison had the best of both worlds...it was a total oasis (one of the nicest hotel pools I've ever been to) yet it was also a short walk away from the center of Luang Prabang. Breakfast was excellent and the room was also clean with a spacious balcony overlooking the gardens. We had a small problem one night when we got locked out of the hotel (they didn't tell us to leave the key with the front desk...), but they more than made up for the inconvenience by offering my friend and I free massages. I will recommend Maison Souvannaphoum to any friend of mine who goes to Laos...affordable luxury.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Serge_Ditesheim, Manager at Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Nicolas N,

Thank you very much for your feedback which I have read with great interest. We are delighted to learn that you found Maison Souvannaphoum to have been exactly the right choice for your recent holiday in Luang Prabang. I did certainly not miss to share your comments with the team and my Chef in particular was very happy to have received such positive feedback on his breakfast.

I would not want to miss to express my sincere apologies to you for any inconvenience that was caused to you when you found our main gate closed and would like to assure you that this situation has been discussed with our security guards and night receptionists.

Nicolas N, once again – thank you very much for your time and consideration and for providing us with your encouraging feedback.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel and in the meantime I wish you a good day and all the very best!

Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed 3 nights at Maison Souvannaphoum and really enjoyed it.
THe hotel has a great location (10 min walk from Royal Palace), rooms are nicely appointed and the swimming pool is very good.
The staff is excellent (especially the pool bar staff) and the level of service is beyond expectations.
I would definitively stay there again when visiting Luang Prabang.

Room Tip: First floor room have a nice view on the swimming pool
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Rom-85,

I trust you have had exciting onwards travels and a smooth and uneventful journey back to Paris.

On behalf of everyone at Maison Souvannaphoum, I would like to thank you very much for having taken the time to post your review here on Tripadvisor. Especially our pool bar team was very happy to have received such kind praise from your good self. We are glad to learn that we have been able to contribute to an overall excellent sojourn in Luang Prabang and would be delighted to be of service to again in the future.

In the meantime, I wish you a good day and all the very best.

Hotel Manager

Been to Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel? Share your experiences!