“Phenomenal service” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 66 Hotels in Luang Prabang
Hong Kong, China
“Phenomenal service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Our stay at Maison Souvannaphoum was very relaxing and I would thoroughly recommend this hotel as an excellent choice in Luang Prabang. What really stood out was the exceptional service we received during our 4 night stay there. The restaurant staff in particular were wonderful - helpful, charming and unobtrusive, and we thought the evening meals we ate there were excellent (including a special NYE meal). Our rooms on the ground floor of the Garden Wing were great - beautifully decorated with a huge bed and a spacious balcony overlooking the pool and garden. The hotel is only 5 minutes walk from the town centre, and so in an ideal location from which to explore.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
BTGroup, Hotel Manager at Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear Meddy094

Greetings from Luang Prabang.

I was absolutely delighted to be able to share your feedback with my team here! It made everyone really proud and especially our restaurant team was very happy to have received such high praise from your good self. On behalf of all my associates: thank you ever so much for your encouragement.

It was a great pleasure to have you here with us over New Year’s and I am very pleased to learn that you have enjoyed our services and facilities as well as the convenient location of our hotel so much. We would certainly be delighted to be of service to you again in the future and look forward to welcoming you back!

In the meantime I would like to once again wish you and your beloved ones a very happy new year and all the very best.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Manchester, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed here twice with a 1 night break to go to Kamu Lodge in early December. First impressions of the hotel were good and the staff were friendly and helpful. On closer inspection our first room (103) was in need of a bit of refreshing but there was nothing really serious. The bathrooms were a good size but using the shower ( a wet room design) for more than a few minutes meant the water started to overflow into the adjacent "dry" area, the sink plug wasn't effective and the furniture & paintwork needed to be freshened up. On our return we were given a 1st floor room (208, I think) which was an identical room but in much better condition which highlighted the failings in the first room. We mentioned this to the manager, Serge, who told us room 103 was due to be taken out of service for a full overhaul the following week. The pool surrounds have seen better days and small children might struggle with the uneven rough surfaces but other than that it is a pleasant pool area for a dip after a hot days sight seeing.

We ordered a cocktail one night on our return to the hotel and were going to sit in the garden but we were advised to stay under the open restaurant area due to Mosquitos which was fair enough. However we were served cocktails at a table fully set for dinner which was strange. The cocktails weren't good and we did wonder whether they contained any alcohol at all. After that we found much better cocktails in the town for much less so recommend you eat & drink outside the hotel as there are lots of good options in Luang Prabang. The hotel seems quite keen on trying to upsell meals & spa etc but just a bit more concentration on what they've already sold would be beneficial

On the whole it's a good safe option and we've no idea on how it fares against the competition.

Dear Newtotuscany

I trust you have had exciting onwards travels and a smooth and uneventful journey back home.

Please allow me to first and foremost thank you for having selected Maison Souvannaphoum as your preferred hotel for your recent vacation in Luang Prabang.

I am also very thankful you have taken the time to reflect on your stay with us here on Tripadvisor. I have read your review with great interest.

In our continuous efforts to improve our services and facilities I have been very much able to appreciate your remarks and comments made. I am glad you have had an overall pleasant stay with us but would on the other hand certainly not want to miss to express my regrets for the shortfalls you have identified in your feedback. Namely I would like to apologize for the inconveniences you have encountered in your bathroom. As mentioned to you, we do indeed close off our rooms a minimum of two times a year to conduct comprehensive maintenance and touch-up works. I am glad to inform you that this has happened with room 103 the very day of your departure. Further to your comments with regards to the quality of our cocktails I have allowed myself to discuss this matter with my Restaurant Manager as it is certainly not our intention nor standard to serve our valued patrons sub-par drinks. I am very sorry for the disappointment caused.

Newtotuscany, once again thank you very much for your time and consideration and for providing me with your invaluable feedback here.

I would be very happy to have the opportunity to welcoming you back to our Maison and provide you with a throughout excellent stay.

In the meantime, I would like to wish you a happy and healthy 2013 and all the very best.

Forest Row, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

best managed hotel that we stayed at in Laos ("de-luxe" selection); but what a magical city Luang Prabang is, fabulous ambience; great location, peaceful and discreet, nice cool pool, superb breakfast

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Angsana.com

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your contribution here on Tripadvisor.

I am really glad to know you enjoyed the city of Luang Prabang during your recent visit. I could not agree more with you; Luang Prabang is a magical city and the people of Laos so warm-hearted and friendly. Thank you very much for having entrusted us with hosting your vacation and we would be delighted to welcoming you back again in the future.

In the meantime, I wish you a good day and all the very best for 2013.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012 via mobile

A real elegant piece with its history. Staffs were very nice and sweet. They give us a fantastic Xmas party and cooking class. Managers were readily for help and they were indeed very helpful. There were here and there some more can be done and improved. But i guess this is more because i need time to adapt the laotian style, slow, no rush at all.

• Stayed December 2012
BTGroup, Hotel Manager at Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear CamnoENG,

Greetings from Luang Prabang.

Thank you for posting your review here on Tripadvisor. We are all glad you enjoyed your time spent here with us at Maison Souvannaphoum and especially Chef Vanhsay was pleased to learn that you liked the X-Mas dinner and the cooking class you did with him. Please trust that we are fully committed to making “Maison” a more pleasant and enjoyable place on a daily basis and are therefore very much able to appreciate the feedback received from your good self here.

We would be delighted to be of service to you again in the future and look forward to welcoming you back.

In the meantime, I wish you a good day and all the very best!

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

We stayed at Maison for 3 nights in the Champa Room. The best thing about staying at the Maison was its very professional, warm and helpful staff, attentive and unobtrusive. They are without exception, very knowledgeable, cheerful and charming. The building and its surroundings are well-maintained, clean, tasteful and restful. It is a sanctuary,very close to the main part of town which made it conducive for walks and exploration on our own. We loved our stay and regretted that we had not booked for a longer stay. Staying at the Maison is like staying with family.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Marianne C,

It was with great interest and joy that I have read your review here on Tripadvisor. I have not missed to share your encouraging feedback with my team here and it certainly made everyone really proud. Therefore also on behalf of all of my associates here – thank you very much!

Please trust that we are fully committed to making Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel a more enjoyable and pleasant place on a daily basis and shall certainly not rest on our laurels. It would be wonderful to welcoming you back to our Maison again soon so that you can explore beautiful Luang Prabang more extensively.

In the meantime I would like to wish you and your beloved ones a very healthy and happy 2013 and all the very best.

Solihull, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

We stayed at the Maison for 3 nights. Really enjoyable stay. Lovely room which was very clean, neat and practical. The bathroom was just right with an excellent shower. There was everything you would expect in the room from an equivalent hotel in Europe.

The hotel facilities including pool area were nice; and the staff were also very helpful and pleasant.

Location was great. The whole of Luang Prabang is best explored on foot so we expect most other places in the town would be fine.

Breakfast was fine, the usual bits and bobs.

Small touches: staff were helpful in sorting our airport transfer when the time was amended by our travel agent for no reason; when the bed is turned down of an evening they also light a candle in an oil burner; and they also light a joss stick on the balcony to try and fend off the Mosquitos so that you can sit out and enjoy the warm evening air!

The hotel will exchange money, but the rate is ever so slightly less favourable than the numerous kiosks on the town. We did one organised trip to Pak ou caves (not booked through the hotel) through one of the operators in the town - we did consider arranging ourselves through the boatmen but opted to spend an extra £1 or so for relative peace of mind. Shopping around will not save you much at all, as they all seem to work together!

Excellent base from which to explore.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear TravelBudz48,

Greetings from Luang Prabang.

Thank you so much for sharing your impressions of your stay with us here on Tripadvisor. We are certainly glad to know that you have had an enjoyable stay in Luang Prabang and that my team here was able to contribute to a memorable vacation. I am also delighted to learn that you found our rooms and facilities to be up to your expectations; please trust that we are fully committed to upkeep and improve on the same on a daily basis.

TravelBudz48 once again, thank you for having selected Maison Souvannaphoum as your Hotel of choice for your recent vacation and for providing us with your invaluable feedback here.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the hopefully not too distant future and in the meantime I wish you a healthy and happy 2013!

Hickling, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Stayed for 4 nights in room 204. Nice room with huge bed and nice fittings and very pleasant balcony overlooking the garden and pool. Nice to relax in the warm balmy evening after returning from town.

Staff were pleasant, helpful and tried their upmost to please, however, when groups were at breakfast, service efficiency came under pressure and was not so smooth.

Breakfast choice a bit limited, but there was sufficiency.

Swimming pool very nice to relax in after hectic touring days.

Hotel well located, only a few minutes from town.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
BTGroup, Hotel Manager at Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Dear Frankandliz,

I trust you have had a smooth and uneventful journey back to the UK.

Thank you very much for kindly having taken the time to review your recent stay at Maison Souvannaphoum here on tripadvisor.
We are glad to learn that you have had an overall very good stay with us and that our rooms, facilities and location were up to your expectations.

On the other hand I would certainly not want to miss to extend my apologies for any inconvenience caused to you during our breakfast time. I have allowed myself to discuss your comments with regards to service efficiency during breakfast with my Restaurant Manager as the experience described by your good self does not match the standards we have set ourselves. Once again, my apologies for the shortfalls.

We would be delighted to welcoming you back to Maison Souvannaphoum in the future and in the meantime, I would like to wish you and your beloved ones a merry festive season and all the very best!

Hotel Manager

Been to Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel? Share your experiences!