“Nice and quiet, yet close to everything!” 4 of 5 stars

Rattana Guest House
Kok Sack St, 4 / 2 Ban Wat That, Luang Prabang, Laos   |
Ranked #75 of 226 Luang Prabang B&B and Inns
Bangkok
“Nice and quiet, yet close to everything!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

Friendly staff and a great location make this guest house a good place to stay. Skip the breakfast and instead eat at Jo Ma Cafe up the street. They clean your room everyday and provide you will clean towels and free drinking water.

Bicycle and motorcycle rentals, as well s tour booking are available (be sure to ask about the Living Land Company!).

Room Tip: The concrete rooms are quieter!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Kurashiki, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

My friend & I had just a night in Lunag Prabang this time and I again decided for us to stay at Rattana Guesthouse. We had large fan rooms that were only US$14 per night, quite a bargian in this town. The rooms had TV, hot water shower, free drinking water, large double bed. Ms Rattana also works for a travel agency so I had her hire a mini-van for us for the next 2 days. The guesthouse is located on a quiet sidestreet around the corner form JOMA coffee, a one-minute walk from both the riverside and the night market.

Room Tip: Fan rooms are comfy enough for me but if you need A/C, get the nice double rooms upstairs with the l...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012

The location is excellent, close to the main street and night market, and close to the river. The staff were very friendly too.

When we first arrived we were put in the concrete house, despite my having specifically booked a room in the wooden house far in advance. We were in the room with the private bathroom across the hall, and the shared balcony. The bathroom toilet did not flush properly, and the fact that it was across the hall meant you had to get dressed before using it. All of the other rooms on the floor seemed to have a private ensuite bathroom except for us. The shared balcony was also a problem because of the noisy and messy couple we were sharing it with.

We eventually were switched to the wooden house. The room here was much nicer and had an ensuite bathroom. However, every morning at 7:00 AM, somebody across the street would do laundry and it was super noisy in our room (even with windows closed). It sounded like somebody grinding a rusty oil drum against rocks (and who knows...maybe that's what was happening).

I would probably try to stay somewhere else next time. If I did stay at this place again, I would confirm my reservation by email the day before and the day of to make sure I get a room in the wooden house, and to make sure they don't give my room to someone else again.

Room Tip: Take the wooden house if you can. If you end up in the concrete house, avoid the room with the priva...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

We stayed here for a 6 nights and are glad we did. The guesthouse is close to the riverfront and the night markets but far enough away not to have the noise. We stayed in 2 different rooms, the first having a bathroom that was for our private use but across the hall so a bit inconvenient but not a huge problem as the room shared a lovely balcony with one other room. The second was further back from the street and therefore quieter. The staff were extremely friendly and very efficient. Nothing was ever a problem. The street itself can be a bit noisy at night, not that it is the fault of the guest house but light sleepers may have difficulty sleeping as some of the other guest houses in the street allow their guests to party to very early hours of the morning.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

The Rattana sisters are friendly and helpful throughout my stay.
Even during the booking process, they were very prompt in returning my email queries, even when I had to amend my arrival dates a couple of times. They also provided lots of useful travel advice during my stay in Luang Prabang. I requested for early breakfast at 6am which they also accommodated!

I stayed at the newer wing which had concrete rooms, so it's pretty quiet inside the room... great for a good night sleep ! Good wifi and cable channels are available in the room as well.

As I was riding my own motorcycle, I was glad that they have a private gated parking area which they lock up by 11pm, so this is great for bikers.

I would highly recommend this guest house to all.

Room Tip: the old wing is a wooden house, while the newer wing is concrete with better noise insulation for th...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
north coast nsw
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

I changed my booking to Rattana as I heard how nice the staff were and that is of upmost importance to me in selecting a room. So I know I made the right decision. After an accident I hurt my wrist and one of the owners attended to me compassionately strapping my wrist and giving me anti-inflammatory cream. My room was basic and a bit noisy from above at times but very clean and well maintained. The position close to the Mekong and the night market and restaurants was excellent. You can walk to the end of the street early to see the monks.
I would certainly stay again, I know I will be looked after by all the staff.

Room Tip: Rooms upstairs would be the quietest.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Kaiserslautern, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

We had a bit of an issue with noise in our room. We could plainly hear the people above us speaking so we asked to move. We were in the old wooden house with has lots of charm but isn't that well insulated. You might want to stay in the new building if you are sensitive to noise. The location is terrific though, right near the night market and easy walking to see the monks processions in the morning. The people that work there are very nice. We got laundry done there and had some issues but the owner re-cleaned some of our clothes to make it right. All in all, a great experience.

Room Tip: Choose the wooden building for atmosphere (nice veranda for lounging) but the new building for more...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Rattana Guest House? Share your experiences!