“Nice but overpriced” 3 of 5 stars
Review of 3 Nagas Hotel

You added 3 Nagas Hotel to your Saves list
3 Nagas Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ban Vatnong, Sakkaline Road, | PO Box 722, Luang Prabang 0600, Laos   |
Ranked #25 of 67 Hotels in Luang Prabang
Bangkok, Thailand
“Nice but overpriced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

Very nice old houses converted to a hotel. Service is excellent and location is perfect.
However, I found it very overpriced for what it offers.
Room was dark and not functional.
The architecture is nice but the hotel lacks more attention to details. There are many better options in town for this price.

Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Kirsty D, General Manager at 3 Nagas Hotel, responded to this review, March 9, 2014
Dear EduardoCancado,

Sabaidee from 3 Nagas, Luang Prabang.

Thank you for your review and comments about the hotel. We do have some challenges with what we are and are not allowed to do to with the hotel, we are privileged enough to be well protected by UNESCO. That being said your comments for more attention to detail does not go unheeded and I will be sure to take this to heart.

There are other options in town and Luang Prabang does offer the full spectrum of accommodation to suit all travel tastes. One just needs to decide if they are indeed after "excellent service" and a "perfect location", and if so…3 Nagas is accommodation of choice.

We have plans afoot for the hotel and are looking forward to continuing to delight and deliver exceptional guest experiences to the intrepid travellers that pass through Luang Prabang.

Wishing you a safe journey where ever you may travel.

Warmest regards - Kirsty

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

We spent three days in January 2014 at the 3Nagas and it was simply a wonderful experience. As a top end accommodation, it is central, amazingly comfortable with incredible staff led by a superior manager. From a 50 year old to an 8 year old perspective - we both loved our stay here and would highly recommend it.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear EmmaSquid,

Sabaidee and warm greetings from 3 Nagas. I am so glad you enjoyed our 3 Nagas property having moved over from Hotel de la Paix. We do indeed have incredible staff at 3 Nagas, in fact the team operates both hotels and moves interchangeably as does the management. Your praise is well received and most gracious.

With warmest regards - Kirsty
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

My daughter and I just returned from a 5-day trip to Luang Prabang and loved our stay at the 3 Nagas. The rooms are spacious and comfortable. We had a standard room for 2 nights an a deluxe "suite for 3 nights" and actually preferred the less expensive standard room (better bathroom lighting). The food was amazing and when we liked a special dish, the manager arranged for the chef to give us a private cooking lesson. Marco, the manager, is extremely helpful and personable, and the staff is very helpful and smiling. We loved Luang Prabang and from the 3 Nagas we walked all over the peninsula, did lots of sightseeing and always felt a warm "welcome home" from our jaunts each day.

Room Tip: A second floor room in the front or the back with no one walking overhead is a good idea.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear 198Diane155,

Sabaidee and warm greetings from 3 Nagas. Thank you for your review and I am so glad you both enjoyed your time in Luang Prabang. A stay of 5 nights is ideal and gives a decent amount of time to explore, relax and really experience just how special our little part of the world is. Our pace is gentle and it is wonderful when the touring isn't rushed. Walking is absolutely the best way to explore the side streets, watch the sun set over the Mekong, climb Phousi Hill, take in the architecture, soak in our ambrosial temples and experience the very beautiful Laos people.

The room tip is indeed a good one. Whilst 3 Nagas delivers a real taste of Luang Prabang, the building is protected by UNESCO so naturally very old. The wooden floors are divine and a real testament to the builders quality and intention at the time, but alas can be a tad noisy should you have a heavy footed overhead occupant.

From all of us, we wish you safe journey always.

With warmest regards - Kirsty
Cambridge, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

3 NAGAS is located on the perfect block to be RIGHT near all the action , yet still be a respite and sanctuary from the absolute heartbeat . get yourself a bike , not that you need it , but it`s so much fun to float up & down the main streets in the " languorous " tropical nectar day & nite . at sunrise the HOTEL is literally the front row orchestra seat for the daily monk procession and alms offering ritual . the rooms are wondrous in every aspect . the staff is flawless in every way you could ask . LUANG PRABANG has other super pricey hotels outside the main arena if u wish to be hermetically sealed from the street action and jeweled wonders . not for me . great outdoor breakfast area and bar which becomes the evening dinner scene . i spent 9 great nites in the ancient royal capitol and was granted a privileged entree to its delicacies.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Dear MIchaelLEVINE,

Bravo Maestro, your review is nothing less than an ode to Luang Prabang and received with grateful heart.

Dresden, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

I'd wanted to come to Luang Phrabang for years and I'd always wanted to stay at the 3 Nagas. There are far larger, more modern and even nicer hotels in LP but this is a great place to truly experience the center of this UNESCO World Heritage city. True, there's no TV in the room. But to be honest, there's simply no place for one. It would feel out of place in this classic structure.

My room was located in the older of the two buildings comprising the 3 Nagas, on the upper level overlooking the main road. I had a great view watching the parade of monks walk by as they made their daily alms procession. (Note, the monks only pass by as the hotel lies between two alms giving sites.) The balcony was very spacious and had a ceiling fan as did the room itself. The bed was large and very comfortable. It came equipped with a mosquito net which did come in handy. (This speaks more to the fact that the old city lies between two rivers and this is no reflection on the hotel itself.) The bathroom, like the rest of the room was very clean. It was a bit dark inside the shower but this wasn't surprising given the traditional style of the house with its antique mahogany paneling. The air conditioning worked fine and it wasn't overly noisy. Street noise could be heard from inside the room but that's normal with an historic structure of that type. It certainly was not excessive of bothersome at all. The treats left during the evening turn down service were wonderful.

Breakfast each morning was a real treat. It's cute how the staff bundles themselves up in winter attire during the (relatively) cooler mornings. In fact, the nicest part of this charming property is the friendliness of the hotel staff. Service was really top. The on-site manager makes it his priority to ensure that his guests are well attended to and he should be very proud of how well the staff performed. I did have one dinner at the hotel but frankly, I was not impressed and this was surprising given the nice write-up in the NYT travel section. It wasn't bad at all but I suppose I would have enjoyed more authentic dishes than the fusion cuisine they serve. Since this hotel is where the first ice cream in Laos was ever made, I had to try it. I'm afraid it was fairly icy, no doubt due to it being hand made in that climate.

The patio furniture on the terrace where breakfast is served was in need of replacement. The manager admitted as much noting that new furniture was being ordered which could withstand the tropical climate better. But this is the only really negative criticism I had and it's a fairly minor point. The friendliness of the staff and the historical charm of the hotel more than made up for a couple of sun-faded cushions. I'm so happy to have stayed four wonderful nights at the 3 Nagas.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Kirsty D, General Manager at 3 Nagas Hotel, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Dear Tom N,

Happy New Year from all of the team at 3 Nagas!

Thank you for your very comprehensive and honest review of our hotel. We are indeed at the centre of this World Heritage City, actually being located in Zone 1, the hotspot, and our buildings are a stately example of another era, the perfect compliment to this precious part of the world.

Thank you for your comments about your dinner and our menu, though I am a tad confused, the hotel has not served Fusion Cuisine for some time now. Our current menu, that has been in place since mid year, is only traditional Lao cuisine cooked by our Lao Chefs that have been with us for many many years. Perhaps it is their presentation that makes the food look like a mix of traditional and new age?

I also appreciate your notes on the outdoor furniture and my colleague the hotel manager was correct in advising the new soft furnishing are indeed on order.

I will forward your lovely comments about our team through to all. Lao are a genuine and caring people and to know their intentions have been well received will certainly bring a smile to their faces.

We wish you safe travels for all your future adventures, thank you again for staying with us and may 2014 be your best year yet.

Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

Restaurant with Delightful service, wonderful fission Lao food. Great steamed, stuffed fish in banana leaves. Perfect weather to sit out and off the main track so nice and quiet. Roast chicken with green papaya salad (3 Naga special) was also good and interesting difference from Thai green papaya salad.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Kirsty D, General Manager at 3 Nagas Hotel, responded to this review, December 29, 2013
Dear DTAsia,

Happy New Year!

Thank you for your kind review of our fabulous restaurant. I'm so glad you took the time to relax and enjoy not only our great Lao cuisine but also the location and tranquility of the hotel.

Lao food is very different from our surrounding neighbours and not to be missed, fresh, simple, clean, healthy and spiced to your personal choice as opposed to cooked/prepared within…perhaps I am a little biased by I do believe our Green Papaya Salad is unbeatable.

Wishing you all the very best for 2014 and may your travels take you to many more exotic and soul inspiring locations.

As ever - Kirsty
Pulborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights in November, though part of a small group I was solo if that makes sense .Luang Prabang is a truly lovely friendly & safe place . So is the hotel, the rooms are large ,well equipped 4 poster very comfortable bed & a huge bathroom, with a little area to sit outside your own room. All I could want for 3 nights sight seeing. Have read negative comments about the room safety of this hotel, I have to say that I travelled with iPhone, ipad & camera, yes I locked them in the room safe every time I was not in the room that is what the safe is for your personal peace of mind. The staff were wonderful friendly & helpful, even organised a tour for me when I had been let down, they could not do enough to help. food good you can sit outside & watch the world go by. I would recommend this hotel & go back , I really enjoyed my stay in this lovely country.Please remember this is a small hotel so does not have pool or fitness room, if you want this its not your hotel,,but it is my number one choice.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Kirsty D, General Manager at 3 Nagas Hotel, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Dear Lola008,

Sabaidee and Merry Christmas from 3 Nagas! Thank you for your kind review of our hotel and for staying with us during your time in Luang Prabang. We are only a tiny hotel as you stated but have a unique and interesting past of our own, if only our walls could talk they would herald many special moments in history.

I will be sure to thank the team for the wonderful attention they paid, and for your acknowledgment of them.

Please do feel free to visit us again, we would be delighted to have you return and experience all the more that Luang Prabang has to offer.

Until then, very best wishes from all of us at 3 Nagas and Happy New Year!

Kirsty

Been to 3 Nagas Hotel? Share your experiences!