“A great treat” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 47 Activities in Luang Prabang
Type: Classes/Workshops, Classes
More attraction details
Owner description: The Ock Pop Tok Living Crafts Centre is where the fascinating world of Lao textiles comes alive! Set in the grounds of a stunning tropical garden on the Mekong, it's the perfect place to learn more about this unique Lao art. We offer free guided tours where you can meet our weavers, artisans and even the silkworms. We also offer a range of classes in weaving and dyeing, which as our reviews show, are an unforgettable experience. Our Silk Road Cafe by the river is the perfect place to relax and enjoy our "east meets west" inspired menu, or simply enjoy the stellar sunsets with a refreshing drink.
Sydney, Australia
12 attraction reviews
“A great treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

We decided to try a half day textile weaving class on the day of my husband's birthday, and what a great treat it was! With incredible patience, our weaving instructors guided these two clumsy Australians in filling spools with the beautiful coloured silk thread, then helped us with the tricky process of weaving a pattern. It was a surprisingly complex process involving templates made from different combinations of threads and these women were experts at making our efforts look good. After we had completed our projects, each a glowing and beautiful place mat of about 50x30 cm, we sat down to receive a booklet about the craft centre, only to be amazed when a birthday cake was brought out by a group of staff, all singing Happy Birthday! This was a lovely surprise and a great way to end our birthday activity.

We thoroughly enjoyed our afternoon, and the venue is gorgeous - overlooking a pretty stretch of the Mekong, with a wonderful garden and beautiful buildings. Recommended!

Visited December 2013
OPT_Admin, Manager at Ock Pop Tok Living Crafts Centre, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Thanks for such a nice review. As you say, weaving can be hard but it makes the end result all the more worth it. Thanks for choosing us for your birthday activity.

New Zealand
57 attraction reviews
“No other word but AWESOME. Don't leave Luang Prabang unless,you have been here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

a superbly set up, informative, educational and fun venture. I did a half day Batik and a half day weaving and the two experiences are at the top of my list of great things I have done kn my trip.

The people are welcoming, happy and very knowledgeable. The environment surreal where you sit under cover in the garden and cam watch the Mekong sidling by. The classes very well done with an English speaking person working alongside the artisans. The artisans are so clever and full,of smiles.

My restaurant meal,was delicious, the staff very welcoming and professional.

I cannot recommend this place highly enough. Don't miss it. If you don't have time for a class do one of their free tours. Just don't miss ti.

Visited December 2013
No other word but THANKS!. It always makes us happy to hear when our visitors have an amazing experience and thank you for recommending so strongly
Taipei, Taiwan
9 attraction reviews
“Learn a lot from the tour”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

My mom & I just made the decision that go to explore outside of the town by bicycle. We choose Ock Pop Tok as our destination. I found it's very easy to find this place by go ahead on the Sisavangvong Rd. and turn right while seeing Phosy market. It would take about 10-15 mins from the center town to Ock pop tok.

The free tour is available there, they will arrange a guide showing how the clothes products made from zero to finish. They also introduced some different nature plants for dyeing to us. I've learn a lot from it.

Visited November 2013
Thanks for the review and great to hear you came away learning some new things
“Beautiful setting, very friendly staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

Unfortunately, I discovered the Living Crafts Centre too late in my stay at Luang Prabang to enrol in a class. A friendly staff member from one of the shops in town arranged a tut tut to take me to the Living Crafts Centre, which is a few kilometres out of the main town. On arrival I was immediately attracted to the beautiful setting of the centre, and noted the warm welcome I received. I was offered a tour (on my own) which was very informative. The relaxed atmosphere made me want to linger in the weaving and dyeing workshop areas watching the women practising their craft. The gift shop displayed the goods on sale beautifully, and I also really enjoyed the informative exhibition upstairs, which could easily be missed by visitors. A highly recommended site to visit during your stay in Luang Prabang.

Visited November 2013
OPT_Admin, Manager at Ock Pop Tok Living Crafts Centre, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Thank you for such a nice review and it is a shame you didn't have time to do a class. Hopefully next time.
Guelph, Canada
“Great day trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

I visited Ock Pop Tok in July 2013 and had a great time. I got to dye my own silk skein and scarf, learned about silk worms, weaving, and local herbs/roots that are used to colour the silks. My guide was really friendly, curious, and answered all my questions! Next time I'd like to commit more time and actually try the weaving - which looks incredible and hard.

Visited July 2013
Glad you enjoyed the dyeing class. Weaving is incredible and (quite) hard work but totally worth it when you see your end result!