“A must do” 5 of 5 stars

Brisbane, Australia
15 attraction reviews
“A must do”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

Big Brother Mouse was near our hotel so thats how we found it. We went and spent 2 hours of our time there one afternoon and it was worth every minute of it. We worked with teenagers whose english varied from fairly fluent to very little spoken. It was great talking with them and helping them learn words and phrases. The student I was paired up with his english was quite good so we had a great conversation about his life and the mountain village where he came from. I wish I had more time in Luang Prabang as I would have went back there several of times. I love how keen they are to learn english and be educated. It is very inspiring.

Visited June 2014

5 attraction reviews
“Great time sharing with students”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

I was prepared to help children improve their english or french and was a bit surprised to find that "my" children had beards or ran businesses. Most of the Laotian people I met were students. At first they were a bit reserved but after 15mn more people came and conversations became very animated. Some had a good level in english some didn't but they all tried hard to communicate in English. I learned a lot about Laos through them during 2 hours. One of the girls who was teacher training for becoming the first teacher in her village brought her homework abd everyone around tried to help with the translatiln from Lao. One of the boys wanted to become a guide snd one other worked as a receptionist to pay for his law studies at university. One woman owned a business and felt that she needed to improve her english for the development of her projects. I was impressed by their motivation and did my best to animate our group of five. That experience was the best of my staying in Luang Prabang.

Newbridge, Ireland
46 attraction reviews
“A must visit!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

I spent yesterday evening and this morning speaking with two young novice monks. They are so eager to learn and get help with their school work. After we spoke to them for about 3 hours, we went with them to a nearby bookshop and bought them a book each. Dollars well spent. They were so grateful and gave us handmade bracelets to show their appreciation. This project is amazing, they work hard to provide locals with the opportunity to read, which is something we take for granted! It's such a good experience and you will learn more about English yourself!! Give some of your time and money to Big Brother Mouse - it's worth it.

London
44 attraction reviews
“Loved this”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

What a great place, I loved it.
Its quite troubling to read the general reading statistics of Laos people. English is seen as such a big advantage so I am glad this project exists.
I felt fortunate given I got to speak to a monk.
The interaction is not easy and takes effort on both parties but it is very enjoyable and a culture experience to be had.
Tips - discuss your home, family and ask your student the same. Speak slowly, clearly and take a pen and paper to write words down for reference.

Visited February 2014
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
43 attraction reviews
“Great interaction and for a good cause”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

Was delighted to find this place accidentally. It was buzzing with activity when we walked in. They have done a great job helping to raise literacy in Laos. You can volunteer your services for the locals and the Monks (9am to 11am, 5pm to 7pm) to practice their english. There are other activities in which you can participate, just check at the desk when you walk in. Books are available for sale for donation, for souvenirs. The most popular book is "Whats in the market" which gives an idea of food and culture of Laos. Sometimes at night at the start of the night market route, they set up a stall to sell books and promote.

Visited March 2014