“Praise the Amateurs” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 144 Restaurants in Luang Prabang
Cuisines: Australian, International, Fusion, Asian fusion
Good for: Local cuisine, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Rosella Fusion Restaurant is a friendly, family owned restaurant in the centre of Luang Prabang. Customers enjoy meals on our wooden terrace overlooking the beautiful Nam Khan river. The cuisine is a mixture of Lao and Western and is crafted by our Australian qualified Lao chef. It's a great place for lunch and dinner as well as a relaxing afternoon, watching local life on the riverbank, and a well priced evening cocktail.
Holte, Denmark
“Praise the Amateurs”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014 via mobile

Honestly, having read the brilliant reviews Rosella Fusion has received from fellow travelers, I was slightly concerned that this was another case of ethnic infatuation, faced with the open serving area and the blackened hole in the wall kitchen. Looks really can be deceptive and in this case they are.
After a bit of waiting our drinks were served. Beer Lao for adults and fabulous smoothies for the children. We then had glass noodle salad with minced pork, the very best green curry chicken I have ever had. Full stop. And I have had a few during the years we have lived in Asia. My wife had shrimps, the children pizzas, French fries and chocolate mousse.
No flaws whatsoever.
Service is attentive and what it may lack in professionalism it makes up for in downright enthusiasm and charm.
Normally when the check arrives you control it to see the extent of financial damage. In this case we paid gladly after having pointed out the two cappuccinos and the beer they missed on our bill.
A most energizing and different dinner. Praise the amateurs at Rossella and do not forget to book ahead - go for one of the three riverside tables! The view is also stunning. Enjoy!

Visited January 2014

• Korean first
  • Polish first
Calgary, Canada
“It was ok, but not in the top 10 ”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

We went here for lunch when we were in Luang Prabang and were happy to find the place (couldn't find it on any map). It is located right along the river.

Unfortunately we were disappointed with the restaurant. We sat down and I attempted to order food. I pointed to the watermelon juice and our waiter appeared confused and brought me a watermelon shake (which was on a different page).

I then ordered bruschetta and he didn't understand what I was saying. I tried pointing to it on the menu and he didn't understand. I then pointed to the large picture of it in their menu and he still didn't get it. I then ordered a noodle dish and again pointed to it but he started trying to read the ingredients. I've travelled in several countries and have ordered off menus in several different languages. By no means do I expect service in my language in another country but one should understand their own menu.

After about 30 mins another waiter came to confirm our order (our original waiter had sat down with a large group and was having a drink). He said it would be another 15 mins. 45 mins later I got the bruschetta and it was an hour until the main course.

The food was very good but the service killed it for us (and that's holding the service to our traveling standards which is expecting the right dish 90% of the time).

Sydney
“Excellent value for money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

A good choice of Western and Lao food and fabulous quality for the price.

Well worth booking the night before or earlier in the day as they only have 6 - 8 tables.

Be prepared for them to run out of things as this is a small, locally run concern.

Probably our favourite restaurant in Luang Prabang.

Visited December 2013
Berlin, Germany
“nice little gem of a restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

Rosella Fusion is closed on Sundays! (We arrived on a Sunday and learnt that!)
It is hidden between a lot of gourmet expensive restaurants overlooking the Nam Khan river.
The outdoor seating only has about 6 tables for a max. of 20 people.
It happens that you have to wait, also for the food.
But then - super friendly Nina - apparently the manager - with a wonderful smile lets you forget about the few minutes that you had to wait longer.
Lovely and inexpensive food. Yummy smoothies.
This restaurant will hopefully be around for a while as it is surrounded by 4-and 5-star villas and restaurants.
The old house with the kitchen is quite run down, and one can imagine that one day an investor will buy up this place, tear it down and build another luxury establishment: Gentrification even in Luang Prabang.
So, go to eat there and support this place!

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sydney, Australia
“Best meal in LP!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

This restaurant is in a beautiful peaceful setting overlooking the Nam Khan river. We had been wandering along the river earlier in the day and had picked this one from the row of riverside places, as its little terrace looked so inviting. The restaurant was very quiet, not many people about, so we sat for a little while before we were noticed, but that was no problem as it was still quite early. If you were in a hurry it might have been an issue, though.

The cold beer and the food were beautiful. I had chicken and mushrooms with vermicelli - delicious, but the really great meal was what my husband had - a package of steamed fish with dill that he pronounced the best meal we had had so far on our trip. It was fragrant as it released its steam when he unwrapped the bamboo leaf, and it was moist, tender and delicious. We also had a papaya salad to start, which was good too, but the standout meal was the fish.

As with most of the riverside restaurants, the meals are cooked across the road - a lovely relaxed way to eat without the bustle of a kitchen nearby Recommended!

• Visited December 2013