“Nice” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel de la Paix

You added Hotel de la Paix to your Saves list
Hotel de la Paix
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ban Mano, Old Prison Road | PO Box 722, Luang Prabang 0600, Laos   |
Special Offer
FREE Airport Transfers
Ranked #6 of 67 Hotels in Luang Prabang
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Nice hotel though a little bit out of the center of town in a residential area. Closeby temple where you can join the monks for chanting. Beautiful gardens at this hotel - old prison location, now very modern in presentation. Friendly staff though the level of English is low, they all want to please. All rooms have a small private garden on the 'prison wall' side of the property. Very nice, not too far to walk to town, though you may want to get a tuk tuk at night to bring you back

Room Tip: Some rooms have swimming pools
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Kevin M O, General Manager at Hotel de la Paix, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and observations following your recent stay with us at our Hotel de la Paix.

I was pleased to know that overall you enjoyed the experience and, despite our being a little out of the town center, I hope you would favourably consider to recommend us to anyone you know who might be planning to come to Luang Prabang.

I was disappointed to learn that the spoken english language of our service staff was not to your expectations: this has always been a difficult standard to raise and while we provide english language training to all our employees, there have been very few occasions where I have been advised that the quality was low. I am concerned about this and as such, would be very pleased to know where in the Hotel you experienced this, perhaps in Housekeeping or Food and Beverage? If you would like to give me more information on this, I can be reached at gm@hoteldelapaixlp.com .

I realize that New Zealand is a long way to come but never the less, I do hope that your travels might bring you in our direction again, Until such time, I remain,

gm@hoteldelapaixlp.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

This hotel is nirvana in a stunning and beautiful town. Set behind high walls each "room" has its own private garden with 4 of them also having their own private plunge pool. The hotel is set around a courtyard filled with a rose garden and a swimming pool on one side and a fish pond mirroring the water feature on the other. The room we had was a garden room and although the bed area was small, it didn't really matter as the ceiling was so high it gave the impression of it being larger. Also the fact that we could open the doors to the garden at the back or the courtyard and pool at the front, it brought the outside in.

Breakfast was delicious and so beautifully presented - table service made to order and we had free use of the mini bar every day (soft drinks, chocolate and 2 beers). The wifi connection is excellent, Never had a problem gaining access and the speed was quick.

The staff are all lovely and willing to help out with anything we needed. And Kevin, the GM is a real credit to the hotel. He was present every breakfast chatting to each and every guest ensuring that everything was OK with their stay. And he tried so hard to free a room for my family and I for Christmas but they are fully booked. He is such an approachable man and I felt special that he was taking time out of his busy day to try and help me.

The bathroom area was great. The shower and bath look out on to the garden so you can open the doors and have an indoor/outdoor bath or shower in complete privacy. I loved that.

Other features to the hotel that to me are above and beyond a typical hotel - a universal power board so that I could plug in 4 appliances simultaneously, the room was sprayed every evening to discourage mosquitoes (low irritant, no scent spray), a little treat at turn down every night freshly cooked and presented wrapped in a banana leaf in a wicker sticky rice basket, and 4 huge walls of books to read.

I am definitely planning on returning to Luang Prabang and staying once again here. It was magical.

Room Tip: 4 of the rooms have their own private plunge pool
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Kevin M O, General Manager at Hotel de la Paix, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to present the most wonderful review of our Hotel: it is always very gratifying to read when everything we endeavour to do actually achieves the desired results.

It's difficult to know what else to say except to offer a special thank you for your generous praise. I have taken the liberty to share your review with all our personnel so that everyone can see, first hand, how you felt about their respective departmental efforts as well as what it feels like when things actually work as planned.

We are all too quick to portion blame when things go wrong and all too slow to give praise where it is due: I am very proud to be in a position whereby I can give praise to all and have to the facts to do it.

I am sorry that we weren't able to make space available to have you and your family back with us for the Festive Season but all of us here very much look forward to being able to have you back with us in the New Year. Please don't hesitate to let me know if and how I can help when you make your return plans and until then, I remain,

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Sophisicated, Laid back, Luang Prabang...... The same can be said of this hotel. The town really is the jewel in SE Asia's crown and Hotel de la Paix a great option.

As others have said the staff are excellent. A special mention to OugSeng on the front desk, he booked us onto a couple of tours at short notice (Living Land was excellent) and provided restaurant recomendations on each of our 4 night stay (3 Nagas, L'Eelephant were the pick).. he even dropped me off at a bar where I could watch a Pemier League match on the saturday night.

Dining at the hotel was a high standard, the pool area great, and the bikes a great touch giving you the freedom to explore the town, which we did most days.

A couple of bits of feedback. A few light bulbs in our suite had gone, and towels around the pool a little bit worn. Also, when ordering wine by the glass, despite 3 or 4 choices on the menu, only 1 actually available.

Only minor issues though, and overall I think this hotel is actually good value for money and worth every penny. Would definately recomend and stay again, we hope to visity again in 2013 and will stay here.

One last thing to mention. We visited an organic working farm who told us the hotel purchase their vegetables, Salad and herbs from them. This really puts something back into the local community which the hotel deserves a pat on the back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to write such a lengthy review following your stay at our Hotel de la Paix. I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed the Luang Prabang experience and that our Hotel represented good value for money and was able to contribute to that overall enjoyment.

Thank you for the kind comments on our service team and especially for the endorsement of our Front Office Supervisor, Ouseng: I will take great pleasure in sharing your comments with him so that he can see, first hand, just how you felt about the services he provided you. We are very proud to have him in our team and your comments go to justify that pride.

Thank you too for bringing to my attention some areas that we can improve. Unfortunately, our rooms have too many light bulbs, a legacy from being a former prison when the inmates were always kept in a state of semi darkness: however, the light bulbs should be checked and, when appropriate, changed on a consistent basis: I have brought this to the attention of our Housekeeper and Engineer to ensure that we improve on this in the future.

I take your point regarding the Towels by the Pool: this matter is in hand and we are only waiting for delivery of our new towels, which is a challenge in itself. This leads me into the matter of the "Wine by the Glass". Frustrating for you know and I am sorry for that: again, it is a question of supplies being received and here, as with the towels, we are waiting for the delivery of Wine Stocks into Luang Prabang. Actually, I am in the process of revising the Wine list and the inconsistency in receiving supplies has led me to reduce the quantity of wines on the list and to remove the "Wine by the Glass'. We will still offer Wine by the Glass but we will have the flexibility to change the Wine on offer by producing a monthly offering. independent of the Wine List, thus ensuring we don't get caught out as, regrettably, you were during your visit.

It has always been a goal of ours to be seen as being a recognised part of the local community and one way of ensuring this has been through our arrangements with the Living Land. There are other initiatives in place and I look forward to sharing information on them with you when you return, hopefully in 2013.

In the meantime, thank you again for your very thoughtful review and although I realize that it's a long way to come, from the UK, we look forward to the pleasure on your company next year and until then, I remain,

Hanoi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Can't disagree with other reviews. We have lived and worked in Asia for most of the last 10 years and visited lots of lovely hotels. We needed a break to recharge after a very busy 6 months and the Hotel de la Paix delivered on all counts... the staff are fantastic with great attention to detail, the environment is calm and relaxed, the pool is great and the rooms are modern, well appointed, quiet and comfortable. The spa is great with well trained staff. The cocktails are fantastic as is the food at the restaurant. We used the hotel's ageing bicycles to meander our way into town a couple of times which was fun and only takes around 10 minutes.

I think the thing that sets this place apart however is the friendliness and engagement of the staff. They are genuinely helpful and interested in you and your day without being intrusive - a difficult balance to achieve - but one which all of them, from the gardeners, to housekeeping, front of house, spa or restaurant, seem able to manage easily. It's a pleasant change from the deference or over attentiveness you often find in more expensive hotels.

I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel and am wondering whether we'll be able to fit in a return visit.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Kevin M O, General Manager at Hotel de la Paix, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you so much for sharing your comments and observations with us following your recent stay with us. I was so pleased to note that our product and services measured up to your expectations and that you were able to return to Hanoi, properly rested.

Thank you too for the gentle reminder regarding our aging bikes and yes, you are correct they are on the old side, however we have plans to purchase new ones in the new year and are currently sourcing the most suitable bike for us from what appears to be a cast of thousands.

What pleased me the most was your generous reference to our service personnel: there is always a significant investment into the human aspect of Hospitality Industry and when you learn that the desired results have been achieved, then you know that you are on the right track. I will take great pride in sharing your comments with ALL our staff at our next employee recognition day so that they can see, first hand, what their efforts meant to you and the overall success of your holiday. Again, thank you so much for that.

I know there are direct flights from Hanoi into Luang Prabang so all of us here at the Hotel de la Paix look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future. In the meantime, if I personally can be of any assistance in terms of making reservations for you please don't hesitate to let me know and until that time, I remain,

Kevin M. O'Hagan.

Belo Horizonte, MG
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

I've been traveling quite a lot and staying in fine hotels all around the world. It wouldn't be false to say that Hotel de La Paix - Luang Prabang is one of the bests I've ever stayed, considering it's class (character and boutique hotels). From the staff to the food, from the excellent spa to the very well designed rooms and other spaces, from the general concept to every single detail, staying in this hotel was a very important part of my trip to Laos. Simply superb!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and observations with us following your recent stay with us.

As a seasoned traveler, it is praise indeed to know that our product, services and facilities measured up to your expectations: I was pleased to note that our performance helped to ensure that you had a very enjoyable and successful visit to Laos.

I realize that you have traveled far to be with us but never the less I do hope that your travels will, some day, bring you back to Luang Prabang. We would be delighted to have you come and stay with us again and until that time, I remain,

General Manager.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Situated in a converted French fort this 23 suite hotel is a oasis in Luang Prabang. Excellent staff with strong attention to detail including candle lit entrance and pathways at night make staying here a delightful experience. From the great spa facilities, to the well appointed pool area or just relaxing on your own private day bed in your suite garden Hotel de La Paix is a welcoming place to return after a day of sight seeing. The tranquility is not for those seeking active nightlife but for me was a welcome start to the holidays after some exceptionally busy weeks leading up to holidays. Food and wine offering is also very good with the vegetarian spring rolls and yellow duck curry particularly memorable. Enjoy,I did

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for sharing your kind thoughts and observations following your recent stay with us. I was pleased to note that our product, services and facilities measured up to your expectations and that you gained the rest and relaxation that you craved.

I was especially pleased to note that you thought our staff excellent and I will be pleased to share this with them at our next employee recognition day. The Chef too will be pleased to know that the culinary offerings were to your liking: we have planned a Menu review for the upcoming season and I will ensure that the Vegetarian Spring Rolls remain on the menu as many have indicated that this dish is particularly good.

I do hope that your travels will bring you back to Luang Prabang someday and that you will chose to stay with us again. Until that time, I remain,

Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

It is hard to fault Hotel de la Paix.

The location is great, just far enough away from the centre of town to be quiet (some parts of town can be pretty noisy/crowded) but an extremely easy walk (about 15mins) or bike ride (5mins).

This recently renovated old prison property has been beautifully executed by a very design conscious hand, with a lovely manicured courtyard, serene pool, spacious modern light rooms, ultra lux bathroom, amazingly comfortable bed, lovely sheets and pillows, private garden, etc.

Breakfast was very good, with a large number of options to choose from. It was a bit variable, ranging from out-of-this-world good on the first day to just good on the second day.

The internet connection in the rooms was excellent.

The hotel has geared bikes available.

The staff were extremely helpful and kind.

In short, it has all the amenities of an excellent Western hotel.

However, my only complaint - and this will not necessarily be an issue for all travelers - was that it felt a bit sterile and soulless. There are a number of other boutique hotels around the city (we stayed a few nights in one such property) that feel a bit more like old Indochina than a modern luxury hotel. Personally I prefer the former. I travelled with a friend who liked both. It will really be an individual question.

On the question of value, we got a good rate on a last minute trip that made the cost reasonable. In a city like Luang Prabang with so many great options its tough to justifying paying full price at such an expensive hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and observations following your recent stay with us at the Hotel de la Paix. I was pleased to note that overall you enjoyed the experience and that our staff were both helpful and kind.

Thank you too for the comments on our breakfast: the lack of consistency is a worry and I have brought this to the attention of our Chef. We have just recently revamped the Breakfast selections but clearly we still need to focus more attention to the quality and not only the quantity.

I must admit that I was concerned that you found us to be sterile and soulless and indeed Western: I am not sure that I fully understand what you mean and would be very pleased to learn more if you would care to share it with me. Tranquility and Privacy in an authentic Luang Prabang environment has always been our aim and I thought we were achieving this: I respect your opinion and thank you for saying that yours may not mirror those of other travelers but I would like to know more.

I take your point about the price factor and the choices available around town: we have always tried to demonstrate flexibility when it comes to rates and so there are always combinations and permutations available, especially in the Low Season. No-one ever really pays the full price when staying at any Hotel and so I was disappointed to read that, for you,we didn't represent full value.

Hong Kong isn't so far away and so should your travels ever bring you back to Luang Prabang then I would be very pleased to meet with you. If you would consider staying with us again then please contact me directly so that I can personally handle your reservation requirements. Until such time, I remain,

gm@hoteldelapaixlp.com

Been to Hotel de la Paix? Share your experiences!