“Nice” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel de la Paix

You added Hotel de la Paix to your Saves list
Hotel de la Paix
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ban Mano, Old Prison Road | PO Box 722, Luang Prabang 0600, Laos   |
Special Offer
FREE Airport Transfers
Ranked #6 of 67 Hotels in Luang Prabang
Yerevan, Armenia
“Nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012 via mobile

Location is perfect, away from main tourist areas, but still central. Rooms are clean and comfy. We had a suite with separate pool, which was great. One thing to watch is restaraunt, not only there were things in the menu that they did not have, but almost every time we ordered something, there would be a confusion over the order (like we ordered a beef stake and got a burger), certainly something you would not expect from a hotel of this rank / price range.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Kevin O, General Manager at Hotel de la Paix, responded to this review, September 9, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and observations following your recent stay with us at the Hotel de la Paix.

While I was pleased to know that overall you enjoyed our product and services, I was both surprised and disappointed to learn about the constant confusion with the Order Taking of our Food and Beverage team. Many of them have been with the Hotel since it opened and so I would have thought they would well know the type of dishes we have on our Menu. I do apologize for this inconvenience and you can be sure that the very next thing we do is to re-introduce all our Food and Beverage team to all the items on the menu. They will learn again what each dish is and, which is something I insist on, the will get to taste everything so that they know what's in the dish and, better still, enable them to genuinely recommend dish, when reqested.

Once again, I apologize for this shortcoming and please know that it will be addressed immediately. If you have an opportunity to return to Luang Prabang, please don't allow this unfortunate experience to unfavourably prejudice your decision on coming to us again.

In the meantime, I remain,

gm@hoteldelapaixlp.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Everything is fabulous about this hotel; Room, pool, service & breakfast... Definitely a 5 star hotel... The location of the hotel may a bit off the main area of Luang Prabang, however it is only a 10 mins walk... Love it!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your very kind comments following your recent stay at our Hotel de la Paix.

I really don't know what to say except, please tell all your friends back in the UK about us, we would love to see them all here. Better still, bring them with you!!

In the meantime, we do hope that you will have the opportunity to revisit Luang Prabang and, of course, stay with us again and until then, I remain,

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

I booked De La Paix Pool Suite 09 with Watch Tower due to the summer promotion stay 3 pay 2 and we decided to extend one more night in Luang Prabang. By the way, not to forget to mention that we decided to visit Luang Prabang just because of the attractive offers from De La Paix. Our trip to LPB has become one of my most favourite holidays now :)

Things that I really love about this hotel:
1: Total in love with the helpful and friendly Staffs who reminded us about the sharp edge of our private Pool. Regardless the sharp edge.. I still swim/dip in our pool for at least twice a day:D

2. Extremely nice touch on the free minibar, if there are some chips, that would be even greater ..[so greedy, lol] and refill everyday!

3. Nice evening turn down treats.

4. Very nice touch on free afternoon tea from 3-4pm.

5. Very very good location, not centrally located in town so it is very quiet and peaceful. Even though is not in the town center, hotel provide free ride of bicycle. A small suggestion would be to maintain the bicycle for a better condition.

6. Food are good in hotel. I love the vegetarian spring roll with peanut sauce. Very very tasty but on the expensive side comparing to what you can get in town. Abundance of Great cafes & restaurants in LBP.

7. SPA is great as well. Throughout out stay of 4 nights, we took the Spa Buffet twice.
8. Extremely clean, nicely decorated interior and exterior... probably a little too dark at night to walk along the pathway especially during raining season.

There isn't any directly flight from Singapore / Kuala Lumpur to LPB but I would definitely come back again.

Room Tip: Pool Suite 09~~
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind comments following your recent stay at the Hotel de la Paix: I am pleased that you enjoyed the various touches that we have introduced and I have teken note of your comments about adding "chips" to the complimentary Mini Bar.

Thank you too for raising the issue of the quantity light at night: we take matters of safety very seriously and so I have authorised a full check on all the night-time lighting levels around the property to ensure that we are in compliance in terms of safety.

It's not too far from Malaysia and I am sure that it won't be long before there are direct flights for you into Luang Prabang: we very much look forward to welcoming you back when ever you have the time to spare and until then, I remain,

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

We went to hotel in August 2012 with husband & 3 tenage children. Hotel was very relaxing, staff charming & food good. Has some of the most comfy beds that I have slept on whilst away on holiday.
Free water & fruit by pool & drinks & food in mini bar were free. Some nices touches by a well run hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

I am delighted that our product and services played a part in the overall enjoyment of your holiday and I hope that on your return to Luang Prabang, you will allow us to be your home in Luang Prabang.

Until that time, I remain,

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

My family and I were just in Luang Prabang and we stayed at this hotel in their Governor's Suite.
The grounds and rooms were very peaceful and beautiful. The beds were very comfortable! The staff were extremely effecient, helpful and charming. The food was good.
BUT...the airconditioning system was dreadful. Although it was very effective, it continued to drip condensation from all the vents throughout the day and night, making placing anything in the room a lottery of whether it would be soaked in the morning.
The staff tried their best to rectify this but I think the design or implementation is at fault. Also when it rained, parts of the roof leaked, making brownish drips in many places.
This being an old prison, there were a lack of proper windows in the rooms (so prisoners cannot escape easily!), making the rooms very dark in the day.
They try to solve the mosquito problem by fogging the property and although we were warned about this, the fogging came into the rooms as well. My family had to quickly run away to town!
Despite all this we still had a pleasant stay there, mainly because of the very pleasant and friendly disposition of all the staff.

Room Tip: Make sure your stuff don't get dripped on!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and observations following your recent stay at our Hotel de la Paix. While I was pleased to note that overall you enjoyed your stay with is, I did note, with disappointment, some of the challenges that you had to endure.

You are correct in as much as it would seem the design, rather than the implementation of the airconditioning vents, is where the problem lies and I am truly sorry for all the inconvenience the condensation drips must have caaused you. The constant exposure to the hot external air with the opening and closing of the room doors makes it near impossible to prevent this. However, we have engaged an expert to advise on how best to address this problem and I hope a solution is not far away.

As for the leaks in the roof tiles, this is a direct result of having to use UNESCO specified tiles rather than today's "modern" tiles. for want of a better expression. The tiles that we have to use are extremely brittle and it is almost a 24/7 job keeping up to date with the location of cracked and broken tiles. Having seen your observations, we immediately addressed the matter and I thank you again for bringing this to our attention.

I am sorry to know that the "fogging" managed to seep into your Suite: this is unusual and so I went into the same Suite when they came to fog again. I must have been lucky as I must confess, I was unaffected. Never the less, in the future, we will endeavour to make sure that all access points into our Suites (especially when occupied) are closed prior to the Fogging machine coming into the proximity of the accommodations.

On a more positive note, I was delighted to know that our staff played in integral part in the overall enjoyment of your stay with us and I will take pleasure in sharing your comments with them at our next employee day.

In the meantime, should your travels bring you back to Luang Prabang, we would be delighted to have you come and stay with us again: when that happens, please don't hesitate to let me know so that I can personally handle the room assignment and ensure that any potential leaks and issues of condensation are addressed.

Until that time, I remain,

Dubai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Fabulous room, staff very friendly and always willing to help. Loved the massive shower, with the choice of the overhead rainwater shower or the handheld (slightly lower) for a woman, we don't want to wash our hair everytime we shower, and however cool the overhead fixed is, its very limiting even with a showercap, esp with long hair. Ok enough on that, but this place got it right! Thanks! The free minibar is great. Just 2 can of beer per day and soft drinks but still its good and a nice touch, the beds were very comfy. We had a twin room. The location of the hotel was great. The food was "ok". Arrival at hotel and shown to room, great. A few things about the room. For a twin room host should assume its not a couple, thus a curtain to the shower/bath area would have been nice, when my buddy was showering, I couldn't leave the bedroom area, even to use the bathroom or I could see her showering. For couples that's cool obviously but we are 2 ladies in our 40s. There is nowhere to dry swimclothes/towels... Just nowhere.. Suggest putting one of those pull out string hang rails above bath to the wooden door, or.. Some rails.. Which would be in keeping with the look. There is no tv guide, just to see the channel options, when getting ready to go out to dinner its nice to flick to news channel, bbc world I eventually found on channel 49. For local tours. Even if not hotel sponsored, a list of options/ideas/prices in the room would be nice. For the pool area, when weather is nice, leave some small menu with beer/soft drinks/ snacks on the tables by pool. Have someone pass by to check if people want refreshments. My last day, at a peak was 10 adults and 5 kids at the pool. Good business for the hotel perhaps. (the plate of fruit and the glass of cold water at the pool was, again a nice touch (free).The towels at the pool, although clean were clearly bleached and looking well worn. (Room towels were good). The cutlery in the restaurant... has anyone tried to cut something using the knife to hold the meat still.. They're super trendy cutlery but really hard to use. The breakfast juice. Its not fresh juice, except for the watermelon (well maybe im wrong but the orange was full of bits and sweetened). The breakfast was ok. Nothing amazing. The lunch/dinner choices were better. All in all. I would come back here. I just felt like a few simple touches could make a difference. And from the other tripadvisor reviews, I'm happy to see management reading and responding to peoples reviews. Local places to try, S Bar for a drink, Utopia at sunset, for food we tried Lao Lao Garden, very nice, and Couleur Cafe, The waterfall with the bear reserve is defo worth checking out, but not in the rain. And take a walk up the phu si mountain for sunset.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for the obvious time you have spent in sharing your thoughts and observations following your recent stay at our Hotel de la Paix. I was really pleased to know that we have many things right and, believe it or not, was equally pleased to know of the many things that we coud do better.

You are absolutely correct about there being nowhere to dry swim-suits and the like: while I hate the chord across the bath, we are looking into making wooden hanging rails, just as yiu have suggested.

I agree with your comment on having a TV Guide in the Room: In truth, we have tried to do this on several occasions, but I can't tell you how many times the channels have changed without prior notice, For reasons that I have never understood, the powers that be controlling the programme feed seem to change the distribution adinfinitum.

Thank you to for the recommendation of a listing of Tours, Activities and prices. This is in process and just as soon as the proof reading and then the printing, they (together with a Guest Services Directory) will be in every room.

You are again right about having a Poolside Snack menu: actually, the plan has always been to have Service Staff on Duty at the Poolside in those peak hours (with menus and recommendations) however, I clearkly have not been successful here so perhaps I will resort to menus on the sidetables.

The Pool Towels have seen batter days and new ones have beenn ordered: we are just waiting for delivery.

Your comments on the cutlery are well noted and we are in the process of changing them: as with the towels, it is a case of waiting for the delivery.

I was disappointed to read your thoughts on ouir breakfast: sadly, you are not the firts and so we have already taken steps to upgrade the items, but more specifically, have more variety on a daily basis. As for the juices in the morning, I can assure you they are all fresh. In the case of the orange juice, yes, we do mix it as the quality of the fresh oranges currently is not great: the juice is very pale and also very bitter.

Once again, thank you for taking the trouble to share your comments: I trust by our answers you can see that we have treated them with the seriousness thay deserve. I hope, the next time you return to Luang Prabang, you will come and stay with us again, so that you can see, first hand, the progress that we will have made, all thanks to the comments and recommendations of valuable guests such as you.

In the meantime, I remain,

General Manager.

Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

We are all used to staying in large multi storied hotels, but this is just so refreshing.Expansive gardens in an old French colonial fort. The ceilings are seriuosly high. The staff were freindlky and always stepped out to welcome us back or wave us off when we went exploring. Nothing was too much trouble.with fresh fruit while you were by the pool .We went in monsoon season and whilst it rained it did not dampen our enjoyment of this establishment or the whole area. Breakfast was served from an al la carte menu and not the "all you can eat buffet" which was a nice touch. You can find less expensive establishments but this was worth every Kip.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your thoughts and observations following your recent stay at our Hotel de la Paix. I was pleased to know that we measured up to your expectations and that you enjoyed the experience.

I was especially pleased to read how much you appreciated the performance of our employees: they are, of course, so so important to any success in the Service Industry so when I read how well they have done, it makes me very proud.

I do hope that your travels will bring you back from Hong Kong and that we will have the pleasure of your company again. Until that time, I remain,

General Manager.

gm@hoteldelapaixlp.com

Been to Hotel de la Paix? Share your experiences!