“Terrible service don't waste your money” 1 of 5 stars

You added ThanaBoun Guesthouse to your Saves list
ThanaBoun Guesthouse
48/3. Ban Xiengmuan Village Sisavangvong Street, Luang Prabang, Laos   |
Ranked #157 of 227 Luang Prabang B&B and Inns
“Terrible service don't waste your money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2011

Rooms where ok but over priced, hot water was not hot but none of that mattered because the ower was one of the most ignorant and unwelcoming people I have ever met! It really annoyed me that I gave him money for that

• Stayed January 2011

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Denton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2010

We stayed here for 4 nights in late July 2010. We had a delux twin room with two bigger-than-twin-beds, TV, a/c and a ceiling fan, wardrobe, table w/one chair, no nightstands or phone, poor lighting. We had a large, glassed-in shower, plenty of hot water, a fair shower head. The shower door was not exactly on its tract and was very hard to get open/closed.

The worst thing about the room was the smell. The guesthouse is right next door to an Indian Restaurant and all the cooking odors came right into the room. The room is only cleaned when requested and the management is hyper about every little thing. We are two senior ladies and we were treated like we had to be watched/checked or we might steal something. They need to work on their customer service and their attitudes.

We think there are many better places to stay and probably cheaper, too. We were just too lazy to move . . . but we don't recommend it and we would definitely not stay here again. The only thing that was really nice was the location, it was right on the main street, just a block from the river and the night market.

Sandy (in Denton)

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Brighton
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2010

I have to agree with what other reviews have said. The people that run this place are deeply unpleasant and the service is appalling. In order to make this a fair review however, I will say that our room was nice which is why I have given it one star.

My wife and I booked 2 nights and paid up front. In the course of our stay, a member of staff walked into our room without knocking, completely unannounced. When I went to speak to the manger he didn't apolgise and just blamed it on the fact she was new.

Luang Prabang has an 11pm curfew yet this place locks it's front door at 10pm (without any info or sign to tell guests this) meaning you have to knock to get back in. I knocked for 10 minutes until a bleary eyed (asleep) member of staff angrily appeared and let us in. The manager arrived as we were let in and when I asked why it had taken so long to answer the door, he just shrugged.

We left the 'please make up the room' sign on our door at 8am and returned at 5pm to find the room had not been touched (there was one other couple staying in the guesthouse at the time so hardly run off their feet). I asked the manager why it hadn't been done and he claimed I had not put the sign out on the door requesting it to be cleaned (even though it was on the door!) His sour faced wife then accused me of being a liar and her husband agreed. I was called a liar, to my face, in the reception. Priceless. They also love to slag you off behind your back in their local tonuge, funnily enough this was the only time I ever saw them smile

By Lao prices, this place is not cheap at £15 a night so you would hope for something decent which you get with It's amazing location on the main street and the rooms are great but i would not stay in this place again if it were the last available bed in Luang Prabang.

Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Toutlemonde, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2010 via mobile

As written above, DO NOT stay in the Thanaboun guesthouse. For one reason, they robbed us of $20. It was the first Time I left valuables in my room but I did not imagine such a thing. In fact, I left $40 in my bag and when we came back in the evening, there were just $20 left! We talked to the boss about that, he said that it was our fault and we did not lock right the door. I am sure the boss is the thief.

• Stayed May 2010
Mayo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2010

Please if you are reading this before booking DO NOT stay in the ThanaBoun guesthouse. This is for two reasons. ONE: Guests must be back by midnight (crazy). So we arrived back at 10.55pm and were locked out. Door finally opened about ten minutes later, only they could not find our key that we were made leave at reception. A young guy finally emerged looking tired and took our key out of his pocket!!! When we finally got to room wifi was not working so my partner said he would go down to reception; but he could not get in as they had locked us out from the other side. So if there was a fire or if we were sick there is no way out at all. TWO: We flew from LP to ChiangMai today and discovered that they had robbed us of AU$500 and 2,500 Thai Bahts. We were so careful to keep all valuables on us throughout our 2 month trip but those dollars were for our year in Oz starting this Thursday. This is the only hotel we have come across that does not offer safety-deposit box. We were naive to think that they were honest people. Either the cleaners or that 'tired door boy' robbed us and for that reason I hope that their business goes down the drain and the incredibly rude manager loses his horrible hotel. Again, I know it is my fault for leaving valuable cash in room but do you really want to stay in a hotel full of dishonest staff?

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to ThanaBoun Guesthouse? Share your experiences!