“Would be great if it wasn't totally disorganised” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Utopia Restaurant and Bar

Utopia Restaurant and Bar
Ban Aphay | follow the signs on the UNESCO brick paths to the river, Luang Prabang, Laos
+856 20 23 881 771
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #31 of 156 Restaurants in Luang Prabang
Cuisines: Sandwiches, Asian fusion
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Dessert, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Would be great if it wasn't totally disorganised”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

Went today for a drink after seeing the signs. The venue and location are both cool with a decked area overlooking the river. The drink we had was quite nice but it took ages for it to arrive and before that just getting served was a task on its own! The young local seeming staff don't understand English which would be fine if the entire menu was not in English! This means there is no translation underneath to make things easier. I can see how this contributes to their problems.

Every time i went to the bar, even just to pay it was a total calamity (waited ages for table service but never came despite having plenty of staff and it not being too busy).

We even returned this evening to give them the benefit of the doubt. The place was packed with people around our age (30) and below. However we walked out when they started playing beanie man and Sean Paul, circa 2001. I know this is a young crowd but come on!? Really? I know music is a personal taste but I'd hoped I'd heard the back of that music in my uni days. Felt like I was in a sticky carpet club in England not a utopian riverside bar in Laos.

Music aside, during the time it took to play both songs we could see the service had actually worsened since earlier. There was a crowd of people at the bar waiting to be served and behind the bar I counted 5 young staff all waiting for the western looking chap to sort out their problems. You could plainly see that the whole operation is not working well.

I should also add during our daytime visit a family had been waiting so long for their food they decided to cancel their order and just pay for the drinks they had had. I could see this beginning to fluster to staff as the family had to repeat themselves several times to be understood.

If they had staff that could handle the customers and was a bit more organised it would be an excellent place. I'd even settle on the music if I knew I could be served efficiently.

Visited January 2014

• Korean first
  • Thai first
“New years eve”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

What an awesome party, amazing atmosphere, drinks flowing, loads of Chinese lanterns being set off, burning man at midnight (not an actual man but a 20ft straw man) and a great night. The place was packed and so there were queues at the bar which were to be expected but service was still fast. Quite pricey but the venue made up for that. I am sure it would be as popular on any other night, it seemed to be the 'place to go' in Luang Prabang.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Brisbane, Australia
“Great place to chill out.. for any age group”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

We had lunch on New Years Eve so lots of preparations were being made. Our meals were great, the position of the bar is right on the Mekong, so great views, You can sit or lie at the tables, great place if you want to chill out for a few hours.

Visited January 2014
Stockholm, Stockholms Län, Sweden
“Chill dinner!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

A bit more than 50m from the bar street, but worth the effort.
Really chilled out place with nice Lao style service. Just by the river and with a nice view over the stars.

Leeuwarden
“Hippie to tha bone!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

The place to meet other traveller and or relax with your traveller friends. The food is nice! In the time we visited was it really cold in Luang Prabang and one time it was simply to cold to sit there, that was pity. We really wanted Utopia on a really hot day to relax, but we were unlucky. The bar is really nice decorated! Have fun to visit this bar!

Visited December 2013