“Great place & great location” 5 of 5 stars

Guesthouse Manichan
Ban Pakham, Unit 4, Luang Prabang, Laos   |
Ranked #12 of 222 Luang Prabang B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“Great place & great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I stayed with Peter and Manichan for 10 nights in Jan2013. After that stay my travelling companions and I all greed that staying in a guesthouse was far better than staying in a hotel. We met many guests and often sat with them in the evening chatting about our travelling experiences over a glass or two of red wine or beer, depending on preferences. Often Peter and/or Manichan joined us and we learned a lot about Laos and it's people and culture.My room, pictured, was clean and tidy all the time and Peter and Manichan were very helpful with guiding us to the best of the tourist places and even suggesting ways to make some tours even better like incorportating a river cruise into a trip out to the Kwang Si waterfalls. Peter & Manichan have created a warm and inviting environment for their guests and served lovely breakfasts every morning. I am very happy to recommend their guesthouse to any traveller.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

265 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Korean first
Kiel, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

For me Manichans guesthouse was really a home! Peter and Manichan are verry friendly and help you in all - what ever you want. The house is very clean, has a warm atmosphere and even the women for cleaning the house are extremely friendly! Manichan and Peter know how they can offer you a good stay! And the breakfast ist the best you can imagine! When I come again to Luang Prabang I only want to stay in this guesthouse!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

My party of 4 (couple plus 2x teens) stayed at Manichan recently. We booked by email; my girls had a room upstairs with shared bathroom and we were downstairs with private bath. We found the rooms to be comfortable and we loved the ambience that a shared breakfast table creates, with travellers sharing their travel adventures and insights into their lives back home.
Breakfasts were generous and the hosts (Peter and Manichan) very hospitable and helpful with local/onward travel options. I would recommend Manichan to others looking for accommodation that offers "more than a place to lay your head".

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Manichan Guesthouse is a great place to stay in Luang Prabang. I've stayed here 5 times over the past six years and enjoyed it every time. The location is central in LP, and it's easy to get anywhere from here. You can rent bikes at the guesthouse, which is terrific, as LP is a wonderful city to traverse by bike. The owners are very kind, hospitable and interesting people. They will make you feel welcome. They are always happy to help with your travel plans and to offer advice and aid with bookings. If they are full, they have a sister guesthouse nearby, where you might be able to stay. Both owners are superb chefs, so the breakfast is not to be missed. The rooms are comfortable and clean. The owners respond to any problems you might have promptly. Manichan is the kind of place you wish you could stay on every trip you take.

Room Tip: I enjoy the rooms in the main house.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
gent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

To me manichan's guesthouse was a very nice place to stay! Peter and Manichan are very helpful and generous! Room was cosy and clean, location is perfect (near morning market) and breakfast is heaven!

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
lewiston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

This was my third extended stay at the Manichan, and I was not disappointed. I like the older rooms with shared bath in the main house, but the newer rooms with private bath are also very attractive. I really enjoy the family atmosphere (helped along by the presence of the owners' two young children) and the way the large breakfast table encourages conversation among guests; of course, it helps that the table is laden with bowls of seasonal fresh fruit, baskets of croissants and whole grain breads, pots of homemade jam, and made-to-order eggs and pancakes. The yoghurt is also homemade and scrumptious. Coffee is delicious, and there are many varieties of local teas to try out.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Southern England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I booked about 2-3 weeks in advance via email and confirmed again 3 days before, as required. When I turned up, exhausted after three consecutive flights with long connection times, the owner (Peter) told me I wasn’t staying at Manichan anymore, but in a different hotel. He hadn’t emailed me or contacted me, and he didn’t ask me if I minded; he told me. He said a large group had decided to stay longer so he’d given them my room and that this often happens when people like the town and want to stay. He seemed surprised that I even questioned it. I agreed to check out the alternative offered.

I must say it worked out brilliantly for me as I ended up in Rimvang which is a few dollars more expensive, and it’s a lovely, newly renovated Laotian-run hotel in the centre (a better location than Manichan, on Ban Pakham), but still paying the Manichan price. It seems churlish to complain really......!! I would, however, warn users to be careful if they’re booking Manichan for a specific reason or to coordinate with other travellers or friends. Unless you have a large group booking, it seems you stand a good chance of being shifted elsewhere if a bigger group comes along, and you should be aware of that.

As long as you accept that a booking at Manichan may turn out to be a booking for another similar hotel, go ahead and book. I didn’t see much of the hotel except the children of the family playing in a room near the entrance, but it looked reasonably ok from the outside. Personally, if returning to Luang Prabang I would book directly with Rimvang as I was very impressed with their offering.

Room Tip: I was deliberately overbooked so I never got to see Manichan's rooms...... but I can say the roo...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
manichanguesthouse, Manager at Guesthouse Manichan, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
We do not deliberately overbook. Over bookings are for us more troublesome as for the guests, we hate to tell the guests that we had to book them in another place but it can happen a few times per year, it is part of our success and of the hospitality business, I guess. During the busiest time of the year, when the whole town is packed and most guesthouses are fully booked, we might have over bookings like any other hotel or guesthouse. In those rare cases, Manichan guesthouse is one of the only guesthouses that always takes care of its guests and guarantees a very excellent or "brilliant" room in one of the neighboring guesthouses. We should get 5 stars for that service, most guesthouses would just send you away ..

But sadly you're not very grateful when we move you to our associate family's guesthouse Rimwang which was brilliant, cheaper and better located. I really don't understand your childish complaint.

Been to Guesthouse Manichan? Share your experiences!