“Have to have second floor balcony river view rooms” 5 of 5 stars

Mekong Riverview Hotel
Mekong Riverside Road, Xieng Thong Village, Luang Prabang, Laos   |
Ranked #4 of 66 Hotels in Luang Prabang
piedmont california
“Have to have second floor balcony river view rooms”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Since all the accolades have already been said I will just talk about which room to have. The second floor river view rooms are wonderful. Get confirmation from the hotel for these rooms. You do not want to be on the first floor as then you have no view and no privacy.

Room Tip: Second floor river view rooms
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

I have never experienced better service anywhere, and this is absolutely my strongest "5-circle" rating on TripAdvisor. I'm so glad I read other's reviews here ahead of time and selected this hotel.

The excellent service starts the moment you are picked up from the airport and delivered to the front door of the hotel. I was met by owner Urban Paulsson, who offered me a glass of wine and then sat with me on the veranda for check-in and orientation. He presented me with the Hobo map of Luang Prabang (the best map of the city - you definitely want this), and explained the local layout and where the hotel is located in relation to everything. He also circled recommended restaurants, and showed me the best place to watch the monks receive their morning alms, away from the tourist crowds. I was then shown to my room after we finished our chat and glass of wine, where my bags were waiting for me. There is also a nice sitting area on the veranda outside each room, with a table and comfortable chairs.

Since I arrived rather late because of a delayed flight from Vientiane (due to heavy thunderstorms, and it was still raining heavily), I took advantage of room service for that first night. The menu is from a local restaurant, which prepares and brings the food to the hotel. The hotel staff then sets the table, outside your door, complete with white tablecloth and a candle. A gentle knock on the door lets you know everything is ready, and the staff had already disappeared by the time I opened the door to see my candlelight Spaghetti Bolognese and garden salad dinner waiting for me. Delightful! Breakfast is served each morning across the street in a special seating area above the river, and is excellent. The staff is so friendly and helpful, and will even make you a fruit smoothie in addition to a cooked to order omelet.

The room itself was very nice and tastefully furnished. I loved the Swedish bed, fresh-cut flowers, assortment of books about the city, and my favorite feature - the big safe! There was plenty of room for my laptop, phone, passport, and other valuables. Additionally, there is a small fridge with complimentary bottled water and soda, and they will bring you more any time. They also sell cold Beerlao at reception, and it’s very refreshing to relax with one on your balcony after a long day of sightseeing and enjoy the view of the river.

The hotel also offers free bicycles for guests to use, and it’s a great way to get around the town (which is mostly flat). The hotel will also take you around in their golf cart. One night I needed to get more cash, and asked at the front desk where the closest ATM to the hotel was. Instead of just telling me, he got the golf cart and drove me there and back himself. I was so impressed, and it was very helpful!

The front desk will also book any sightseeing trips that you want to do from providers they know and trust. Take advantage of this! I wanted to take a boat ride on the Mekong, but did not have time for the full tour to the Pak Ou caves. The (always) helpful man at the desk made some calls, and arranged for someone to take me on a private one hour sunset cruise on the Mekong for 150,000 kip (about $18 USD). The boatman met me in the hotel lobby, and I followed him a short walk up the street to his boat. This cruise was a highlight of the trip! It was so peaceful on the river at sunset, with beautiful views of the city and the surrounding mountains. It was also fascinating to watch the local people going about their daily life along the river bank at the end of the day.

To finish this review, a word of caution and a few tips to make your visit to Luang Prabang more enjoyable:

Caution: It is NEVER a good idea to eat raw salad in a third world country, unless you are sure it has been properly washed. It's also not a good idea to brush your teeth with tap water. I normally follow those rules religiously, but let my guard down and did both of those things that first night. I was quite sick within about 24 hours. I don't know if it was from eating the salad or from the tap water. So, while I can recommend the Spaghetti Bolognese from the room service menu, I'd say skip the garden salad and brush your teeth with the provided bottled water, just to be safe! Thankfully I packed anti-diarrhea medication and an antibiotic for just such an emergency, so it didn't stop me from doing/seeing anything I wanted to during my stay. Never travel to Asia without those important medicines!

Tip: It was a challenge to find working ATMs in town. When you find a working ATM, go ahead and just take out 1 million kip to start with. It sounds like so much money but it's not (about $125 USD), and it will save you the hassle I had of making multiple ATM visits.

Tip: It is absolutely worth it to get up early at least once to see the monks receive their morning alms. Follow the hotel’s advice of where to go, and you will avoid the crush of tourists. I was the only tourist on the street the morning I did this, and it was a very “real” experience. It’s also worthwhile to take an early morning walk along the river past Wat Xieng Thong and down Khem Kong Road while it’s still cool. The combination of French and local architecture is wonderful, and you can get some great photos in the early morning light.

Tip: Take a few minutes to read the book in your room about the hotel and the local area as soon as you arrive. It explains everything you need to know about all the services offered, and is full of helpful information that you will use throughout your stay.

Luang Prabang is an incredible place, and you should definitely visit. Staying at the Mekong Riverview Hotel will enhance the whole experience, and help ensure that it is everything you want it to be.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Gothenburg, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013 via mobile

This is the second time that I visit Luang Prabang and stay at this wonderful hotel. I just love it. From the moment they pick you up at the airport untill they bring you back everything is just perfect. The room is clean, staff is amazing, beds are great ( Swedish beds not hard Asian ones) and the breakfast with Luang Prabangs best view can't be beter. You have a great view from your veranda outside your room if you wish to stay at the hotel during the day. I tryed there bikes this time which gave me an oppurtunity to explore morse of the city.
If you are looking for a safe place to call home during your time in Luang Prabang this is it.
Tack för ytterligare en underbar semester! Ni är toppen!

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Naples, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

From the moment we arrived, the owner and staff at the Mekong Riverview Hotel couldn't do enough to make our stay memorable. When booking, I mentioned that we would be celebrating our 17th wedding anniversary while at the Hotel, so upon arrival, we were greeted with fresh fruit and flowers in our room. The room was immaculate and the adjustable beds were divine! Loved having a "patio" where we could sit and watch the world go by. Breakfast overlooking the Mekong River was fantastic! Restaurant recommendations were spot on! The hotel made arrangements for the tours we took with no hidden fees. I would HIGHLY recommend this hotel to all who are going to Luang Prabang. It's simply the best!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Excellent, if pricey hotel. Location is beautiful. Service goes that extra mile both in terms of helpfulness and efficiency. They have thought of everything to make stay smooth! Would not hesitate to return.

Room Tip: Upstairs overlooking river is best
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Perfect location at the joining of the rivers--very relaxing vista.
The amount of effort and money the owner spent in building the hotel is evident. Staff are well-trained and have a"can-do" attitude. Melena, the manager, is competent and glued-together.

I did not detect any noise from the a/c units that other reviewers talked about, perhaps they have modified the a/c since that review. However, I was woken up at 4am one morning with the banging of the gong at the nearby wat. Other than this, I found my room (not on the riverfront) to be very quiet and peaceful.

The beds were very comfortable and not too hard. Perhaps since the other reviews they added a feather pillow top.

I would recommend this hotel to a friend, and I would stay here again.

Room Tip: If you are sensitive to street noise, don't get a riverfront room as the street goes right in fr...
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

This is a lovely place in a gorgeous part of Asia- aboslutely loved Luang Prabang. We were met as arranged at the airport and taken the short distance to the hotel. Our room was ground floor which meant that sitting in our pation felt too much like being on the pavement- but a great view nonetheless. Our room was comfortable and and clean but I absolutely hated the urinal by the toilet- an ill-advised idea and the reason the place gets 4 not 5 rating.
Breakfast was great across the road and about a 100m down overlooking the Khan and Mekong rivers. Staff were superb
We enjoyed our 2 nights here but personally the urinal put me off so much I couldn't stay there again

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
MrUrbanPaulsson, Owner at Mekong Riverview Hotel, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Dear Mrs KP58

We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Mekong RiverView Hotel. We work very hard on being an environmentally friendly hotel.
In regards to this we have for example changed;
- all our lights to LED to reduce the waste of electricity
- double drainage in our bathrooms to reduce the waste of water
- we have changed all of our plastic bags to fabric bags
Last and not least we keep the urinals in addition to the toilet in our rooms to reduce the waste of water. The usage of a urinal is 0.5 liters, this is in comparison to a normal lavatory with the usage of 5 liters.
We are so sorry that this has caused you inconvenience and really hope that bearing the above in mind would consider coming back to us.

Best Regards
Urban Paulsson, The Owner

Been to Mekong Riverview Hotel? Share your experiences!