“We enjoyed the 1 day” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #37 of 47 Activities in Luang Prabang
Type: Nature/ Wildlife Areas, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: All Lao Elephant Camp is only 7 kilometers from the UNESCO heritage town of Luang Prabang, Laos. Come join us for an elephant ride in the rain forest or take our mahout course. We also have a restaurant, and arrange outdoor activities such as kayaking or waterfall treks.
Sydney, Australia
15 attraction reviews
“We enjoyed the 1 day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

One whole day it seems is enough though, we even thought so when we left. It would appear the elephants are not getting a very Eco experience, made to swim and dunk on demand (how many times a day)? Actually mine wouldn't swim but squirted! However my kids loved it and I have saved my opinions for myself so far! Getting the balance right in protecting the elephants and providing alot of employment etc. must be hard though. Hope Laos and Lao people get it right somehow ....

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“Wonderful guide, nice trekking in the mountains”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

We went trekking in the mountains some kilometers away from Luang Prabang. We are anthropologists and we wanted to visit the villages of ethnic minorities. The whole setting was beautiful, although we haven't had as much interaction with the Hmong and Khmu peoples as we would like to. But the best part of our trip was our guide named Thai. He is a very clever young man who spent almost ten years as a monk in Luang Prabang, and speak English quite well. It was a pleasure to spend the day trekking and talking with him. If you want to trek to the mountains, he is the right guy to go with. At the end, we bathed at the Tad Sae waterfalls to cool down after a long walk in the hot and humid forests of the region.

Carlos

Tampere, Finland
5 attraction reviews
“Great activities, lousy guide and terrible driver”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

We had a great day riding and bathing elephants and enjoying waterfalls.
Compered to some other elephant riding experiences, this was extremely good, because we got to spend a lot time riding and bathing them. We were very happy about that.
The downside was the infrastructure, roads and paths (for people) were in bad shape, not only because of the rainy season.

Kuang Si waterfalls are also great. Beautiful place and a nice place to swim.

But we ended up asking ourselves, what did we get fom the All Lao Travel Service? Should we ave organized this ourselves?

Unfortunately the guide was not good. His English was not very good, but the worst part was, that he was not a guide at all. No explanations on what was going to happen and what gear we would need at which point. We spent at least two hours in minivan driving to destinatins and back: He did not make a sound. No info on anything, no background stuff, no ETAs, nothing.

At lunch he was busy making coffee (before eating) and almost forgot our drinks. Also we had to go wash our feet in the river before entering the restaurant (and got all muddy on our way back) although another group arriving later just used a sink...

And the driver: I am used to traffic and driving habits in SE Asia and countries like Nepal and India, so I don't think I'm overly sensitive. But this driver was recless and was driving too fast (compared to his abilities). I was happy to get back to hotel unharmed.

So basically activities are great, but I would choose another company.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
3 attraction reviews
“A Fantasic Experiance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

This is one of the best days that I have ever spent touring. I can't speak more highly of my time. I was sceptical about what might be and I certainly did not want to 'just' ride on the back of an elephant. This was an interactive experience - at least, that is what I felt. I saw no mis-treatment of the elephants. In fact, the contrary. The mahouts were singing to their elephants and whispering to them and, not once, did I see one mahout use the small hook that they carry. Not once. I was impressed. It was much more than I thought it would be. And the swim at the waterfalls afterwards was icing on the cake. A great day and it only cost me US$45.00 which, to me, was a pittance compared with the pleasure and enjoyment I got from it. You should do this. You'll love the experience.
Next time I come it will be to do a 5-6 day course.

Visited July 2013
“Not worth the money! Mistreated elephants!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

Go with a different company! This one is below average and we were disappointed. There are so many other companies that treat their elephants well and that provide services that are worth their price tags. The elephants are adorable, but it's so sad to see how they are treated. The mahouts don't speak any English and don't seem to care about the elephants. They seem indifferent about everything. The ride on the elephants is half an hour at most even though they tell you it will be an hour. Bathing with the elephants is fun, but only lasts about 10 minutes. My friends went with the top company for their elephant experience and had a much much better time. They reported that the elephants at the other camp seemed happy and that they were given the services just as they were promised. I would not recommend this company.

Visited April 2013
KHAMVANH, General Manager at All Lao Travel Service - Private Day Tours, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear Jordie,
We thank you for posting your review. We are sorry you think this trip is not worth the money and that we mistreat our elephants. Let's inform you about our " elephantcare". The animals used to work in the logging industry. Since cutting trees is forbidden some of them live now in our park. The elephants are brought every evening into the rainforest where they spend the night; completely free. In daytime they are fed regularly; sugar cane, grasses and pineappleleafs. A veterinarian is checking the health regularly and if necessary they get time to rest and recover. At the moment a new elephant hospital is under construction. Riding tourists, having a bath is absolutely not a burden. Each Mahout has his own elephant and he learns from the elephant's behaviour if he/she is feeling alright. The elephants don't mind their new work at all.
Thanks to your remarks we will improve our services; your remarks have been communicated with the Mahout.
Thank you again and we hope to meeting you again on your next visit to Luan Prabang.
Mr. Bounthieng, Manager Operations and Marketing and Sales