“Great food with attentive staff- a little more expensive but worth it” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Saffron Caffe

Improve this listing
Ranked #35 of 144 Restaurants in Luang Prabang
Good for: Families with children, Romance
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout, Delivery, Dessert
“Great food with attentive staff- a little more expensive but worth it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

We are staying at Half moon guesthouse 1 and Saffron is next door which is great! We will definately be going for lunch again tomorrow!
The chicken panini was lovely with a good amount of cheese, olives, sunblushed tomatoes etc, and came with some fries for 32,000 kip. We also got the chicken curry wrap which wasn't so good, and a banana macchiato which was good but not worth 27,000 I don't think.
The staff are very attentive, topping up your (free) water every time they walk past, and they noticed our salt wasn't coming out much so changed it for us. A great little cafe, similar to Joma (round the corner) but we preferred this one as it wasn't so packed!

• Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
“Great breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

Unsure exactly where Saffron was, I tiok an early morning stroll to find it. For future reference, its just passed the mekong ferry terminal :) I was super happy to find french toast on the menu! I had been having a bit of a craving for it...urge satisfied!! For 25000 kip I got the most massive plate of delicious french toast pilled high with sauteed banana and mango and of course syrup. I also had a coffee and unlike other reviews I've got to say I don't think it was anything special (I think croissant d'or does better) and at 25000 kip for a large cup, I felt it was a bit costly. All in all a lovely breakfast with lovely waitstaff.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Joplin, Missouri, United States
“best coffee in Luang Prabang & Making a difference too!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

My title doesn't even mention the bakery part of saffron. They do it all themselves! How cool is that. they bake their own goods, they roast their own coffee. But that's not even the most important part: They are all about helping poor upland farmers by giving them a growing cash crop. They're involved at every step in the process to ensure quality and that the farmers get a good price for their coffee. Check out the promo video they have on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuFhZfjo7XA

I always hit up Saffron when I come through Luang Prabang. Where else can you get the best coffee in town and know that you're supporting local farmers right there in loas?

They just opened up their 2nd location (that says something doesn't it?), so if one of them is crowded you can hop right over to the next if you have to get some work done. I love the one that sits on the Mekong. they have outdoor seating there, and the wifi is faster than any of the hotels I've stayed in so far.

Well done Saffron, I hope business goes well so we can see more and more farmers lifted out of poverty there in loas. Lord knows they need it there.

Kansas City, Missouri
“Great Story + Great Quality = Great Cafe!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

First of all, WHEN you go here because it is a must try cafe, read the story of the Cafe sitting on each table. It is amazing the way this company works with local farmers to produce their coffee. They not only have a successful business but also help local farmers as well. And the coffee is top notch high quality stuff. The food is excellent as well, my favorite was the lasagna. Really, everything in this place was of top quality or it didn't seem they would use it. It can feel a bit pricy compared to some of the street foods but nothing too far out of a doable price range, and price compares to other restaurants that don't just serve rice and noodles. Breakfast is cheaper than lunch or dinner, but all super delicious. I definitely recommend this place!!

Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
“Best coffee”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

On the pricey side but if you need a good coffee, there is no better in Luang Prabang. Food also is well made and presented. Try the latte it is served in and unusually large mug. Great for an early morning start

Visited July 2013