“A Special Place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Peacock Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mandalay
Peacock Lodge
5 61st St., Mandalay, Myanmar   |
Ranked #1 of 26 Mandalay B&B and Inns
San Francisco
“A Special Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

Staying at great places like the Peacock Lodge reminds me why I like traveling in SE Asia so much. Soon after arrival, I knew that I was among sincere, caring, and service-oriented folks who love what they do. Central to this universe is Alice, the owner, who is "on it." She was a delight to talk to; quickly honing in on my personal trip needs and objectives, and then delivering consistently throughout our stay. Expect very basic but adequate accommodations, bits and pieces of real Burmese culture, outstanding advise and great food. Five stars in my book! That said, if you are seeking convention, luxury, order, extreme cleanliness etc., go elsewhere, and save a spot for people that want to experience something real. Cheers.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

150 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

What really makes a stay here is Alice, the owner. She told me the only thing that might her slow her down (slightly) is her knee. Well I didn't see her slow down! It definitely doesn't affect her enthusiasm, helpfulness and all round "can do" and caring nature.

I stayed the first night in the older Bamboo building and the room was okay (unfortunately the shower was so hot it was unusable, almost dangerous I would say, but maybe it was my fault). It had air con but by law it had a power surge mechanism which meant it wouldn't stay on, although it actually wasn't as hot as I'd expected. The room had mosquito nets. Overall the room was okay but, mainly due to the shower and AC issue I would select the newer rooms next time.

The 2nd night I shared one of the brand new rooms. The room was good (not large but sufficient) and the bathroom was great - completely modern with separate shower. The best I saw in Myanmar. The only small issue was that everything was a bit damp in the morning; hopefully something they can resolve as it's a new building.

The breakfast was vey good and the outside terrace, in the garden, was lovely. I ate a 3-course Burmese dinner one night and it was the best meal I had in Myanmar, and incredibly cheap. Thoroughly recommended.

The staff - really a large team - all could not have been nicer or more efficient.

My total for 2 nights was $42 (I think the Bamboo Room was around $22).

I would definitely stay again, preferring the newer rooms.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights in November, we were taken by how hospitable and attentive the staff were. It is good value given the current accomodation shortage in Myanmar. At the time they were expanding and yes there was construction going on but the family did their best to keep the beautiful garden clean and minimize noise. I see that other reviews are calling it "run down" but understand you cant expect all the same comforts you would expect at a guesthouse in Europe or North America anywhere in Myanmar unless you want to pay alot more money. This is a developing country where the people are truly doing the very best with what they have. The owners are a family trying to do great things, therefore they are probably spending every last dollar on the extension and are unable to spend money on the main building right now. Given this I would advise to disregard the last few reviews as I think this place is going through a difficult transition. The breakfast was great, including fresh fruit. We paid one night for a traditional Myanmar dinner which was amazing. The owner helped book our exursions and onward plans and also taught us alot about the country. He went so far in hospitality that he offered for the bamboo room to lift weights and work out. This family went the extra mile in every aspect. I can assure you it is not 5 star luxury but really youre in Myanmar so be adaptable and have a little understanding. I would reccomend this place anyday

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dubai
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

The Peacock Lodge has really seen better days. The rooms are old, shabby and musty smelling. The a/c only worked sometimes. The owners are not spending any money on the place and they are making plenty of money as it is always full! The restaurant in the courtyard is nice and the food ok, but not good value for money. There are better options to eat in Mandalay. Our kids liked it as they got to run around and play soccer with the staff and play with the dogs. Location is fine.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
New Plymouth, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

I have stayed at the peacock last year and the garden was peacefull and the rooms were tidy and reasonable price, however a stay last month, the sheets were washed so thin that there were holes in them. The constant building next door, makes the garden feel like a construction zone. Staff are still lovely! At $30 a night you would expect hot water, however I did not find it!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Melrose Park, PA USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We had two stays at the Peacock Lodge. The entire property has a somewhat shabby, without the chic, look and feel. Our first room, on the ground floor was fairly spacious, but not attractive, It has exposed wires and virtually no decoration, with old worn furniture. It was, however, very clean. Our second room, on the second floor, was a bit more pleasant, but still on the shabby side. On the plus side, the owner and staff were extremely pleasant and helpful. We were provided with a driver who worked part time at the lodge for a day. The owner also arranged for a guide (who spoke very good English) and driver for another day. The owner also helped us book reservations for a bus to Hsipaw. Breakfast was served out doors and was quite adequate - juice, fresh fruit, eggs, toast and tea or coffee.

Room Tip: We preferred our room on the second floor to that on the first.