“OK for what I paid.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 39 Hotels in Sousse
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“OK for what I paid.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Arrived on a cheap single person deal after horrendous wait of nearly one hour to pass Immigration at Enfidha airport. Was taken to room 115 Downstairs from reception area. Must be the original rooms ever built, never seen the sun, damp & smelly. No balcony & access to the terrace was a sliding patio door that was held shut by a lenght of pipe laid in the track. This had to be lifted out & replaced to get out/in. The path passing the window was like an ant's trail of people going to & fro the grounds. Stayed one night and moved to a third floor room 344 with 3 beds & a balcony. This hotel cannot be classed as 4 stars with flies in the restaurant & the occasional cat. Queueing for food, shortage of plates/glasses but when you got there the food was ok. Staff friendly especially Youssef the Bell man. Stayed in this hotel about 15 years ago & they have built another Hotel the Marhaba Royal Salem in the grounds (Not to be confused with the Royal Salem near the main road) The Marhaba Royal has childrens water slides hordes of kids & LOUD pool music.

Room Tip: Get a balcony away from the pool noise.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013 via mobile

At the Marhaba salem at the minute, have stopped in 2-5* hotels all over the world and this is equal to any decent hotel I have stopped in. Staff are excellent! Mohamed at the bar (near the main restaurant) is spot on! Would defo return x

• Stayed October 2013
Stoke On Trent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

I have just come back from a 2 week stay at this lovely hotel. We were a big group of 16 consisting of 5 children and 11 adults. All of us loved it there as everyone there welcomed us to the hotel and made our stay pleasant, we all said we would love to go back another time.

The pools we went in were the salt water pool with the slides, the indoor chlorine one and the other salt water one where the night time and a bit of the daytime entertainment was held. All the pools were in great condition and the salt water took a little bit getting used to but that didn't stop us from going in. All the kids enjoyed using the slide and most of the adults went on them too and loved them. The pool where the entertainment was at night, was very relaxing as well as fun to use. By that pool, the animation team played water polo and darts. Also, there is a shop around it so that is very useful as they sell all sorts of things.

The rep Toni was very kind and helpful when we needed to talk to her.

The food was very tasty and there was lots of it to pick from. Some of the group lived on pizza and chips or pasta, but the rest enjoyed trying different foods. On one day of the week is Tunisian night where you still have the food you would normally have, but they put out Tunisian food for you to try.

Some waiters were very flirty with the adults and young adults but they don't really bother you if you ignore them. All the waiters were funny and friendly, especially to the younger kids.

The animation team made our holiday the best, they made us all laugh and put on great shows at night and fun entertainment during the day. Thank you: Mido, Sam, Kalou, Bebo, Fifi, Kristy, Sophie, Sagon, Joe, Trino (sorry if I missed anyone there was so many), you all made our holiday the best it could be, especially Mido and Sam, you always came over and said hello to us!

The maids cleaned our room everyday and when we came back the pyjamas and bed sheets were made into a fan shape and the floors were cleaned spotless.

By the dining hall and the pool with the slides there is a little childrens hut with plenty of toys and little dress up clothes and the three of the children who were boys used it all the time to chill and play with the things they bought from the shop and the balls that were in the hut.

Overall the holiday was amazing! It couldn't of been better, thank you so much everyone who worked at the hotel, you made our holiday relaxing, fun and memorable. We won't forget all those smiling faces.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

i have just come back from a 2 week stay at the marhaba salem and i could honestly say it wa one of the nicest hotels ive ever been to! The rooms were cleaned daily by the maids, who are very polite and the staff are also very friendly and will try to do everything they can to make sure your holiday is lovely. The food was really nice and lots of different things to try but for the fussy eaters they did have a selection of ordinary but wonderfully cooked food. Finally one of the best things about the holiday was most definitely the animation team, they were all so lively and tried to involve everybody, there shows are fantastic and they do dances for every age, Sam, Mido and Trino definitely made our holiday and they are all fantastic and lovely members of staff!

• Stayed October 2013
Southport, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Our room and bathroom were fine and clean, though the balcony was in the shade but I didn't much use it so that didn't matter. I found beds comfortable.

The swimming pool was warm enough to swim in this time of year, was salty but nice to float and relax in !

Drinks were small so needed refilling quite frequently.

Beach activities were good. I tried parasailing (50TD for two) and the mattress dragged by a speedboat over choppy waves (30TD for two)

I was disappointed with the restaurant. I've read lots on here about tipping waiters so was prepared to do that. However I never had a waiter to tip. I fetched my own drinks, and knives and forks when I couldn't find a table with any on. I don't consider being pointed in the direction of the cutlery drawer as service that warranted a tip. One time I went to get dessert and came back to find someone else at my table where I had left my room key to indicate it was still in use. A waiter was on hand resetting the table and bringing a drink for the gentleman who tipped him well while I cleared my glass and key with no apology from either waiter or gentleman. There was some choice in food, though pizza, plain pasta and chips predominated. Like some, I had a bit of "Tunisian tummy".

I only saw the evening entertainment once, the Fire Show, which was pretty impressive and well received.

If I'd had a better eating experience I would have given a higher score.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

After reading the reviews there seems to be a real mixture of opinion and confusion over 3 hotels in the same area. I have noticed some reviews have been taken off so I hope my review will remain intact and not weeded out. So here are my honest pros and cons.

Pros
Overall cheap - value for money
Good house keeping-room kept clean every day
Pretty lush grounds
Nice people, always trying to help, esp Bidet at dinner
and smiley Yassain bar staff
Lots of sardines for breakfast, lunch and evening meals
Great for dieters, plenty of fresh fruit and salad
Toni the Thomson rep, was very sweet and ineffective.
If you don't like sardines there are eggs

Cons
Food repetitive and poor quality, even for me and I am not fussy.
Apart from cakes, struggled at breakfast
Waiters do not make eye contact with you unless you tip (which only lasts 2 days at 10 dinars around £4 each person).
Bar Staff are very rude and I was left very upset when ignored whilst others slammed there dinars on the bar and got service.
Worried about buffet style set up as food only luke warm.
I was sick for most of the holiday with D/V and terrible stomach cramps. I heard a lot more people had the same, but not the Germans or Russians apparently!?

Overall, it’s cheap and basic, however with the amount you are expected to tip, being made to feel invisible by the bar staff, I would rather pay extra and go elsewhere. Overall is it value for money… I really enjoyed the Zulu trip on my last day, which I recommend.

Room Tip: Bring ear plugs as most rooms at Marahaba salem all face the stage. Closes at 11.00pm
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

After reading the previous reviews. My partner and I decided to give the Marhaba Salem a try.
What a mistake. The hotel photos shown are of the Royal Salem, very misleading.
The hotel is dirty, although our room was kept nice and clean. The staff were hard working
and worthy of tipping. The food was ok, but the food at the A la Carte evening was rubbish.
By Sunday I had travellers diarrhea which lasted the rest of the holiday. Have since heard a lot of holidaymakers had gone down with suspected Salmonella.
Entertainment rubbish with the exception of the Fire show.
Definitely one to miss. Would not return to Hotel or Tunisia

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Marhaba Salem? Share your experiences!