“Home Stay-Top of the List” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dar Omi

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sousse
Dar Omi
You added Dar Omi to your Saves list
1, rue Omar Ibn El Khattab, Sousse 4002, Tunisia   |
Ranked #1 of 12 Sousse B&B and Inns
Olympia, Washington
“Home Stay-Top of the List”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

A true B&B and local experience. You stay in the home of the owner and share meals with other tourists and the family. Rabaa and her family were very, very accommodating,helpful and friendly. You could relax in her living room, talk to her mother in the kitchen, or sit outside on your balcony. The food was delicious and prepared with loving care. No need to eat in a restaurant. The food at the B&B is excellent. The dinners are huge and usually selected by the people staying there. As noted by several other reviewers, you can take a cooking class from Rabaa. We didn't have time to improve our Tunisian cooking skills, but wish we had worked this into our schedule.
Rabaa was also very helpful in arranging local tours to El Jem, Kairouan, etc. She also insisted on driving us to the bus station when we departed.
The B&B is about a 20 minute walk from the Medina. If you don't want to walk, go up to the main street and get a taxi (very inexpensive). There are very limited places to eat near the B&B (eat dinners at the B&B, you won't regret it) but it was fun exploring the local neighborhood and meeting some of the local shop keepers.
Our room (African) was very large and very clean. The air conditioning worked well and the shared bathroom had plenty of hot water.
Sousse makes a good hub to see the Roman Colosseum in El Jem and spending some time in Kairouan wandering around the old city and buying a carpet. If you are on a limited time schedule, these two tourist sights can be explored in one day with a car and driver (arranged at the B&B).
The Sousse experience was one of the highlights of our trip. The price for the room and breakfast and the dinners was very fair.

Room Tip: The African room faces the mosque which is just a couple blocks away. A room facing a different dir...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

Although I didn't stay here overnight, I have no doubt that the experience would be as pleasant as my culinary excursion at Dar Omi. Rabaa and her daughter's friend, Hiba, were absolutely amazing, warmly inviting me and my friend to her beautiful home. After a tour of her beautiful place, impeccably kept, she took us to the market where we bought all of the ingredients to prepare the feast we had that night. We came back to her house where we made everything from brik, salad, shakshouka, octopus, and dessert with homemade makroudh and strawberries. The food was absolutely to die for and along with the privilege to talk to her and her sister's family that helped. The experience could not have been better and I can definitely say that I would much preferred to stay the night at her place than the hotel that I was staying at. Absolutely recommended for anyone!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

A great Tunisian cooking experience! We made a lot of typical Tunisian dishes. The food turned out delicious. And during the class we learned how to prepare the vegetables and sea foods. A visit to the market and a lot of hands-on cooking being advised by a very kind and skilled cook Raba. I hope to come back and do it again! I recomend anybody who likes food and cooking to attend to this cooking class! :)

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

We stayed at Raaba's place the last night of our trip and it was a fantastic way to end our honeymoon. After a week of traveling the country, it was wonderful to "come home." Dar Omi is a haven. Raaba's house was so cozy and lovely. And it was great to be in an actual home in Tunisia after over a week of hotel stays. She also cooked us a delicious feast of vegetables and seafood. It was the best food we've had in Tunisia and you can just taste the love in the food as well as feel the love in the house. If you want a warm, friendly and beautiful place to stay in Tunisia, stay at Dar Omi.

Room Tip: We stay in the suite and it was huge. Felt like we had our own apartment within the house.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Providence, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

I stayed here for a wonderful day and night during August. The experience was excellent. As soon as we arrived, we were immediately part of the family. The house itself is a modern Tunisian villa with all the amenities that one could expect - but with a touch of authenticity that more established hotels lack.

After we were shown to our spacious air-conditined room with private balcony, Raaba and Mariem invited us to travel with them to the fish market where we also received an impromptu tour of the Medina. They were extremely hospitable and were invaluable resources in helping us navigate around Sousse. Later that night we had a delicious home-cooked Tunisian dinner of Octopus, and lamb couscous. Although I spent two months in Tunisia, I can say that the food was some of the best I had in all my time in Tunis!

Mariem, Raaba and her family were extraordinarily gracious throughout our entire stay - the Dar Omi project is not really a commercial enterprise for them. It is clear that they have a real, genuine interest in meeting travelers and forming relationships with them. They are very sincere, wonderful people and it was really nice to get to know them.

I highly recommend Dar Omi! Five Stars.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

We stayed for three nights, including the 30th birthday of my wife (the reason for the holiday). Raaba and her daughter Maryem were so friendly, welcoming and helpful. They treated us more like visiting family than guests and Raaba is an amazing cook. Breakfasts were excellent and hearty and the location is not a problem as taxis are so cheap. On my wifes birthday they bought a cake with 'catherine' written on it and with some family friends did a surprise presentation of a gift....amazing, lovely lovely people who gave us the warmest welcome of any b and b/guesthouse experience EVER. Thankyou again!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Pristina, Kosovo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

We've been to Sousse just for a day. But what a day this was. Rabaa and her daughter are amazing hosts making your stay unforgetable.
Still being overwhelmed I will try to put some objectivity in my review. So, the room - throughout clean, very romantic with the lighting, good value. The dinner and breakfast, I can't rate really, any words would fail to describe Rabaa's magic, see yourself to believe. And finally the host, Rabaa, she is a superstar, the Michael Jackson of BnB. It took us like five minutes to feel comfortable and that warm feeling carried on and on and on. I really understand why some guests stay weeks or months longer. That is it, only words left to say...see you there!

Room Tip: The suite - definitely worth it. Very romantic lighting, nicely decorated Tunisian style. You won...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Dar Omi? Share your experiences!